Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought a Stump Bucket would be a useful addition to my collection of loader attachments.
I thought it would be an easy build, with the most time spent in welding it together.
My main concern was size … I didn't want a bucket too large for the 1025 to handle, nor so small that it would be practically useless.
To save on cost I wanted to make the bucket so it would attach to my Titan loader fork back frame, rather than build a complete QA loader mount frame with the bucket welded to it.
I thought a bucket 30" long and 9" wide on the bottom, with the sides flaring out to 14" at the top back edge might be a size the tractor could handle. The only way to know for sure was to build it and try it … :dunno:
I had some 3/16" and 1/4" plate steel sheared to the dimensions I needed, and I cut 1"x1" and 1" x 2" x 3/16" tubing to sizes needed
The 3/16" plate was for the back and sides, and the 1/4" plate would be for the bottom. The tubing would be for the back frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
:munch:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welded up the mounting frame, and started welding together the sides and bottom of the bucket.

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,192 Posts
What is a stump bucket for? Dig it out, lift it, look pretty beside it?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I know it’s something i looked up a year ago and would like to build. It’s awesome for helping dig up stumps, rocks, bushes, hard, etc.
I believe it works good if you need a shallow trench built. Especially if you don’t have a backhoe.
I could see myself using it a lot to get rocks and dirt to a more specific spot than my 53” wide loader.

Gwizz- will you be able to weigh it? When I built my pallet forks I used a house scale as I was building it. I was able to weigh the frame on the house scale afterwards and each fork. Surprisingly it was very close to the same weight.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's for taking out one of these :laugh: I used an artillian hoe bucket for this one with my 3E series. I originally had it for my 2210.

For those who think you can trench with a stump or hoe bucket, I would caution you it is a slow and laborious process (and not nearly as neat as a trencher or back hoe), particularly if the ground is hard and compacted. I use my hoe bucket for stump removal and also for planting bushes and small trees. It's very hard to put a shovel in the ground in my little piece of North Carolina due to the clay and rocks so I used this when I don't want to rig up my post hole digger.

It appears the OP is building something similar to the artillian hoe bucket but with a longer reach. Most stump buckets I have seen are quite heavy, have a long throat and most are rigged up for skid steers. I think there is a bit of a market for a light weight stump bucket for SCUT's and small compact tractors but it hasn't been tapped or I have not found one. My neighbor has one for his 25hp Kubota but it's really meant for a skid steer or bigger tractor, it would not work on a SCUT due to the weight.

The Artillian Hoe Bucket doesn't have a very deep throat like a traditional stump bucket but it works very well for what it is. To me the OP has the right idea going on the size of his, hopefully it isn't too heavy for a the 1 series he wants to put it on to.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I test fitted the mounting frame and welded it to the back of the bucket. Then I notched 1" square stock for bucket teeth and welded them in place, to a 1/2" x 4" bottom plate. The 1" square stock I used for the bucket teeth isn't hardened, but if the teeth wear down I'll just add weld to build them back up … easy fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gwizz- will you be able to weigh it? When I built my pallet forks I used a house scale as I was building it. I was able to weigh the frame on the house scale afterwards and each fork. Surprisingly it was very close to the same weight.
Yes … I did weigh the completed bucket, believe it or not it actually weighs LESS that the two 42" fork tines I use.
The bucket weighs 101 pounds, with a coat of paint on it … :good2:

G

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Weak Spot?

Completed the bucket …
I took it out for a "test dig" to see if it would actually work, and if there were any places that needed reinforcing …
I dug a hole to about 3/4 the depth of the bucket and about twice as long ...

Nuts … I found a weak spot in my build … :banghead:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
No pictures of said “weak spot”?!?! :hide:

I’m sure you’ll have it fixed up and reinforced in no time-regardless your idea, execution and fab looks very impressive :thumbup1gif::bigbeer:

Where in SW Mi, neighbor?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No pictures of said “weak spot”?!?! :hide:

I’m sure you’ll have it fixed up and reinforced in no time-regardless your idea, execution and fab looks very impressive :thumbup1gif::bigbeer:

Where in SW Mi, neighbor?
“Weak Spot” explanation and pictures to follow, along with “fix”

Home is near Hastings ... How about you?

G

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts

G
Did the sides bow out on a hard push? Nice fabrication job on it! I have made things for my tractor in the past and the tractor just busted it up on a hidden rock. That would make a nice shallow ditch digger. Another problem is leverage if it is too long the loader can't lift it. I put spears on my rock rake to lift up the straw and manure the 2 ft spears were long enough it would stall the loader trying to lift the mat up. If I only pushed in 1/2 of the 2 ft long 8 spears nothing stopped them from lifting on the thick stuff.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

G
Looking forward to it.

Almost directly west toward the lakeshore, south of Holland.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the sides bow out on a hard push? Nice fabrication job on it! .
No ... that wasn’t the issue. Matter of fact, nothing flexed or bent on the bucket itself ... that was the good part ...

Thanks for the compliment, by the way ...

G

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
No ... that wasn’t the issue. Matter of fact, nothing flexed or bent on the bucket itself ... that was the good part ...

Thanks for the compliment, by the way ...

G

Ohhh nothing on the hoe bucket failed? The plot thickens :munch:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Dammmm that a lot of bucket for a small tractor. It looks good and so is the workmenship. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Dammmm that a lot of bucket for a small tractor. It looks good and so is the workmenship. :bigthumb:
The bucket isn’t really as big as it looks, being only 30” long and weighing in at 100# ...
In comparison, my 42” fork tines are a foot longer, and are 75# heaver.
But I agree, the bucket does look “huge” in the pictures ...:laugh:

G

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Weak link ...

The "weak spot" in the stump bucket build turned out to be the 'lip' that fit over the Titan fork frame. I made it from 1/4" angle iron ... I should have used heaver stock.
At least 3/8" .. 1/2" would have been better. The lip started to bend outward from the strain of digging.

Rather than cut the 1/4" angle iron out and replacing it with heaver stock, I opted to straighten the lip back down and weld in braces.
I used 1/2" stock for the braces as that is what I had handy, but 3/8" probably would have worked as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
After the "fix" I had no other issues with the stump bucket, even after digging out a couple of stubborn stumps with it.

As A side note …
The Titan Fork back frame was up to the task. It was plenty strong enough to the handle the strain of the stump bucket. … :good2:

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts