Green Tractor Talk banner

Stump Bucket build for 1025r

18K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Gwizz 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought a Stump Bucket would be a useful addition to my collection of loader attachments.
I thought it would be an easy build, with the most time spent in welding it together.
My main concern was size … I didn't want a bucket too large for the 1025 to handle, nor so small that it would be practically useless.
To save on cost I wanted to make the bucket so it would attach to my Titan loader fork back frame, rather than build a complete QA loader mount frame with the bucket welded to it.
I thought a bucket 30" long and 9" wide on the bottom, with the sides flaring out to 14" at the top back edge might be a size the tractor could handle. The only way to know for sure was to build it and try it …
I had some 3/16" and 1/4" plate steel sheared to the dimensions I needed, and I cut 1"x1" and 1" x 2" x 3/16" tubing to sizes needed
The 3/16" plate was for the back and sides, and the 1/4" plate would be for the bottom. The tubing would be for the back frame.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
:munch:

#4 ·
What is a stump bucket for? Dig it out, lift it, look pretty beside it?

#5 ·
I know it’s something i looked up a year ago and would like to build. It’s awesome for helping dig up stumps, rocks, bushes, hard, etc.
I believe it works good if you need a shallow trench built. Especially if you don’t have a backhoe.
I could see myself using it a lot to get rocks and dirt to a more specific spot than my 53” wide loader.

Gwizz- will you be able to weigh it? When I built my pallet forks I used a house scale as I was building it. I was able to weigh the frame on the house scale afterwards and each fork. Surprisingly it was very close to the same weight.

#7 · (Edited)
I test fitted the mounting frame and welded it to the back of the bucket. Then I notched 1" square stock for bucket teeth and welded them in place, to a 1/2" x 4" bottom plate. The 1" square stock I used for the bucket teeth isn't hardened, but if the teeth wear down I'll just add weld to build them back up … easy fix.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Weak Spot?

Completed the bucket …
I took it out for a "test dig" to see if it would actually work, and if there were any places that needed reinforcing …
I dug a hole to about 3/4 the depth of the bucket and about twice as long ...

Nuts … I found a weak spot in my build … :banghead:

Attachments

#10 ·
No pictures of said “weak spot”?!?! :hide:

I’m sure you’ll have it fixed up and reinforced in no time-regardless your idea, execution and fab looks very impressive :thumbup1gif::bigbeer:

Where in SW Mi, neighbor?

#16 ·
Dammmm that a lot of bucket for a small tractor. It looks good and so is the workmenship. :bigthumb:

#18 · (Edited)
Weak link ...

The "weak spot" in the stump bucket build turned out to be the 'lip' that fit over the Titan fork frame. I made it from 1/4" angle iron ... I should have used heaver stock.
At least 3/8" .. 1/2" would have been better. The lip started to bend outward from the strain of digging.

Rather than cut the 1/4" angle iron out and replacing it with heaver stock, I opted to straighten the lip back down and weld in braces.
I used 1/2" stock for the braces as that is what I had handy, but 3/8" probably would have worked as well.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
After the "fix" I had no other issues with the stump bucket, even after digging out a couple of stubborn stumps with it.

As A side note …
The Titan Fork back frame was up to the task. It was plenty strong enough to the handle the strain of the stump bucket. … :

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.