Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been battling with removing my stump the last few weeks. I tried to dig it out. I went 2 feet down from where it was cut off. I cut a dozen of roots off the stump too. Then I hooked up the tractor and truck and tugged on it. All that did was make holes in the yard from the tires. I tried putting my high lift jack under one of the root stubs. The soil was too wet and the jack sunk in, but it did move the stump a little. I dumped 20 lbs of charcoal and half of the roots I cut off around it and tried to burn it out. Wood still too wet to burn all it did was char the skin. Finally today I used a floor jack, blocks, plywood, and large beam to jack it out. I finally used my physics classes. Made a class 2 lever and got mechanical advantage. Turned my 3 ton floor jack into @ 6 tons of upward force. I still found 2 more roots I needed to cut off before it would move.

cut flush with ground
IMGP1701.JPG
2 foot deep hole around stump
IMGP1705.JPG
getting jacked
IMGP1706.JPG
those are half of the roots I cut off
IMGP1708.JPG
another root left side
IMGP1709.JPG
final root on right side
IMGP1710.JPG
it is out
IMGP1711.JPG

IMGP1712.JPG
da hole
IMGP1713.JPG

·
Registered
641 Posts
LMAO Hell yeah, now that's some backyard engineering!!:laugh:

Pruav ONE, Stump ZERO!

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Arizona is hard living. Stumps there must be tuff.

Not as tough as you!

:good2:

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
If you ever have to do it again

the tree before getting cut down
View attachment 682092
Good job on getting the stump out. If you ever have to cut a similar tree again, try either pulling the tree while still intact or cutting the tree as high as you can safely do so, then pulling the stump. The picture is a pretty limby tree but if you put a cable as far up as you can and pull that with your tractor you would have a lot of leverage to start the tree over. Once started, the tree's weight helps take it to the ground.

It's even better if you water the ground around the tree thoroughly although that might take a lot of water in your area.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
As Treefarmer suggested, I cut them high, then use the trunk for leverage pulling. I try to only tackle stumps in the spring when the ground is moist.

I had one stump from a storm downed tree, about 3' across. I sold the trunk and the logger left nothing to pull for leverage, plus I knew it would be too big to do much with if it would come out. So I burned brush on it for several years until it was finally gone. And when I say brush, I mean piles as high as my loader will make.

Pictures are from burn #2 stump survived this burn :mocking: The stump in front was "pull" and put in the burn pile, actual stump is behind it to the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am just wondering why you cut such a nice looking tree down ???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good job on getting the stump out. If you ever have to cut a similar tree again, try either pulling the tree while still intact or cutting the tree as high as you can safely do so, then pulling the stump. The picture is a pretty limby tree but if you put a cable as far up as you can and pull that with your tractor you would have a lot of leverage to start the tree over. Once started, the tree's weight helps take it to the ground.

It's even better if you water the ground around the tree thoroughly although that might take a lot of water in your area.

Treefarmer
I had a tree service come in and cut it down. They had it down and grounded up in just over an hour. I would have had to rent a chain saw, get chains, mix gas, buy bar oil, and make several trips to the dump and it still would have cost me about the same.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good advice about cutting it high and using the trunk as a lever. I realize that wasn't an option in your situation. You used some serious thinking/ingenuity to clean that up. Well done! If we were closer I would have brought over our 580K backhoe, popped it out of the ground and we could have had some beers with the saved time ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Maybe some Tannerite next time?:good2:

·
Registered
161 Posts
My dad taught me a trick to it.......dig around the tree roots about a foot down around the stump. Get you a big bag or two of match light charcoal and pour it in....light it up and let it cook away......in a couple of days there's not much left usually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts