Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have popped a few stumps with my 750 tractor with a #7 backhoe...I even popped one decent size stump that had been a blow down, so I only had to dig up half...but it was on a side hill so it had its own issues. but the last stump I am still working on is holding fast I am 3 feet down all around and I have maybe one big horizontal root clump left...but this thing isn't even wigglin a little...does anyone think I might have a tap root? it was cut a LONG time ago and was a big tree!! so I don't really know what type...I might be an oak or a maple....only because there are two big trees left that are maples...

I have even resorted to chopping away under the root ends with a pick ax, because I cant reach under there with the hoe.... I have even cut several roots stringers with the chainsaw..of course I have ruined that blade....because there are rocks inside the dam roots... this soil is all bankrun under the topsoil...

so if anyone has any tips other than dynamite, and paying $600 for an excavator to come in/..... id love to hear them...

bob

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Well, if times were a little different I'd recommend what my grandfather would do, a little diesel fuel and some fertilizer.

Maybe hook a truck to it and give it a good yank? I had one that just wouldn't let go and the truck and chain did the trick.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I was thinking that's my next attempt, unless I heard a great solution...but since it doesn't budge with the backhoe, I am thinking I might not be able to pull it out with the truck.

what kind of trees have tap roots that go straight down?

I have dug soo much dirt out from around this baby, that I have had to use the loader the remove it away from the hole so I can access another spot with the backhoe!!!

I think by next year I am going to move up in tractors... I am thinking if I could get something around 30+ HP, id be better off.....

I had a line on a 4300 but it was $6K more...although it was way newer. FEL, #8 hoe, and 72 " finnish mower!!

bob

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,874 Posts
No suggestions but I do know stumps that size are a real challenge. Then you need to get it out of the deep hole which is also fun or just bury it right there.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yea, with a tree that big you may not be down deep enough to even get to the big roots yet. Even once you get it lose your machine may not even be big enough to move it. I think if I was at your stage I would cut the stump off as close to the ground as possible, fill the holes back in and rent a stump grinder to get it below ground.

An excavator would have it out in about 1 minute.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah that stump is going...hook or crook... I don't want rotting wood underground on the lawn...if it was the woods, I wouldn't care.... I haven't hit any roots below three feet so far....there is one root still going out to virgin ground...it might be as big as 8 or 10 " in dia...I haven't cleared out around and under it enough by hand to use the chainsaw yet...but since its still pretty stubborn, I thought...maybe it has a tap root!!

but in the end ill call my brother in law, who has a big excavator....but it is a pain for him, because he is busy now and he has to load it and haul it 30 miles and unload it, pop the stump...(which should be easy and fast) get it down to the woods to discard it and then load that suclker up and hual her back to his site and unload it......much more of a project that just saying the words.."can you just pop this stump for me please"

as a toolmaker, I hate it when engineers come in and tell me they have a 5 minute job for me....which is usually nothing but.. ha ha

bob

Reactions: mjncad

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Have you tried a controlled burn around the root-ball?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just a few of the trees with a tap root.... Oak, Live Oak, Burr Oak, Cedar Elm, Pines, Pecan, Hickory.

Have you tried tying a chain around the stump and hitched to your tow bar....get a little slack and then jerking on the stump? Once you get some movement,you may be able to see where you need to concentrate your digging . Although maple doesnt usually have a tap root..they can develop a huge lateral root down to a water source.
I rented a komatsu excavator for the weekend a couple of weeks ago. It cost about 250 including trailer. But since I rented it saturday morn and returned it early monday morn, I was only charged for a day

After using the komatsu....I wanted to throw rocks at my backhoe. What a neat piece of equipment!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I can access the tow bar directly with the backhoe on the machine.... and it seems like a big job removing the backhoe!!

bob

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,874 Posts
I don't think I can access the tow bar directly with the backhoe on the machine.... and it seems like a big job removing the backhoe!!

bob
The drawbar is probably not accessible with the BH on, if it is there to begin with. You should take the BH off some time when you have the time, it should be fairly easy to remove and reinstall.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have heard of people using a pressure washer to expose roots after excavating around a tree. I have never tried it. If you have a pressure washer, I would think you would need to clean all loose debris out from the excavation and have a the soil sloped to one area to pump out water as you do it. It sounds messy but would be interesting if it works to give you a clear shot at what is still anchoring the stump. :rain:

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The drawbar is probably not accessible with the BH on, if it is there to begin with. You should take the BH off some time when you have the time, it should be fairly easy to remove and reinstall.
the drawbar is there...I saw it when I was under the tractor changing the hydraulic oil...

but I know that there is a site that lists all the info on tractors, and it list DRAWBAR HORSEPOWER, right next to PTO Horsepower.... so that had me thinking the drawn bar was power driven...but it isn't!

bob

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Just be careful and mind your hands,especially when manipulating for alignment of the backhoe using the outriggers . It took me about 30-40 minutes the first time...but it gets easier and faster the more you do it. Although, I had left mine on for about 6 months and tried removing it about 2 weeks ago...the pins had rusted some in the sub frame where it meets the loader frame. It took me awhile to get'em out because of very limited space....cussing all the while:empathy3:

This is where a good pry bar and heavy wood mallet comes in handy

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,874 Posts
Just be careful and mind your hands,especially when manipulating for alignment of the backhoe using the outriggers . It took me about 30-40 minutes the first time...but it gets easier and faster the more you do it. Although, I had left mine on for about 6 months and tried removing it about 2 weeks ago...the pins had rusted some in the sub frame where it meets the loader frame. It took me awhile to get'em out because of very limited space....cussing all the while:empathy3:

This is where a good pry bar and heavy wood mallet comes in handy
The 46 BH is a PITA to remove and install compared to the the #7 used on the 650 and 750.

Reactions: rgd

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I found that by centering a 2' 4X4 under the center of each of the pads (between, not under the cleats) it makes the process much easier. The feet slide just enough to align easier and don't sink into the ground screwing up the process with every move...

Reactions: rgd

·
Registered
673 Posts
Bob do you have a FEL with pallet forks? If so clean out a path so you can drive the tractor down to the roots. Then remove one fork and see if you can remove some dirt from the roots by slowly driving the fork between the roots.
Hope it makes sense to you just having a hard time to put it into words.

Doug

·
Premium Member
9,852 Posts
Are you SURE you don't want to try explosives......blasting stumps is SO MUCH FUN.....

If not, go with the excavator. Spring for a bottle of good Scotch. It will be worth it.

Reactions: Ultrapile

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob do you have a FEL with pallet forks? If so clean out a path so you can drive the tractor down to the roots. Then remove one fork and see if you can remove some dirt from the roots by slowly driving the fork between the roots.
Hope it makes sense to you just having a hard time to put it into words.

Doug
i fully understand...I dont have forks though... I have been chopping away under the rootball with a pick ax though..its packed bank run with lots or 3-4" dia rocks.....which makes it tough...

so much dirt came out of the hole so far, I have been removing it from the rim, to one spot, so I can access the side of the hole better..

its raining today and yesterday...so once it stops i am going to chin it and try the truck

bob

·
Registered
206 Posts
The #7 backhoe isn't all the bad to remove

The #7 backhoe isn't all the bad to remove... I figured out how to remove it, then ANYONE can do it! hehehe... It really is pretty easy, follow your manual, and it comes off in about 15 minutes the first time.

You likely have a bunch of small roots directly below the stump, and one big one (like you said) that hasn't been addressed yet (perhaps to the side and low). Given the size of the stump, I'd say that the weight alone of the stump is preventing being able to wiggle it much.

I just went through this, you'd be amazed what holds these critters in.

I used a tow strap around the stump (with the FEL lifted), and attached to the forward frame of the tractor. It helped, but like YOU said, if it's not moving at all now, that likely won't do anything. Using a heavy pickup (Like a 3500 or such dually) might only move it a bit.

If you are already nibbling at it with your pick... you have MUCH more work ahead of you.

I DO think a pressure washer would help, but frankly even a hose might get most of the clumps of soil off so you can SEE what roots are holding it in. Our ground around my place is too hard to allow roots so low, they always go out, rarely lower than 4 feet down.

Take your time, and don't over abuse your equipment. Certainly an excavator would eat it up. I think anything less than a JD 110 TLB wouldn't buy you a lot more digging power. Someone else correct me if I am wrong, because upgrading my backhoe/tractor was something I was thinking about as well, as I have 6 acres of stumps to work on (over the next couple years).

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,874 Posts
i fully understand...I dont have forks though... I have been chopping away under the rootball with a pick ax though..its packed bank run with lots or 3-4" dia rocks.....which makes it tough...

so much dirt came out of the hole so far, I have been removing it from the rim, to one spot, so I can access the side of the hole better..

its raining today and yesterday...so once it stops i am going to chin it and try the truck

bob
They are calling for a lot of rain the next couple of days here and it should soak in and make the job easier, I would think.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts