Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post-up some pics of some stump removal work from last summer. Using the 46BH is such a blast, I wish I had more stumps to dig....

Looking back at all the green in those pics, makes me long for spring. Hopefully, not too much longer...

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
Great pictures Runner:drinks:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, Bill! That was a monster tree.

Fortunately, I don't have anything that size to deal with, mostly just smaller stuff like hedge trees and cedars.

Yes, that tree was planted too close to the house and the patio, plus, it died, so it had to go...

I hate having to cut down a living tree, but it sure is fun digging up the stumps...

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Not to hijack this thread :spy::hijacked:

But..... I have a 35 to 40 foot blue spruce to remove at my fathers home. I will need to cut it down and then remove the stump. The catch is that he will only let me use my truck or my 4520. He will not allow in our farm backhoe or any larger equipment. I am not sure if he is really concerned about his lawn or just wants to make it challenging.

I told him I will rip up more of his lawn with the 4520 than I would with the backhoe.

With that said, what would you guys recommend I do to start getting the stump and roots out with a full sized bucket with teeth. IMHO, the bucket and teeth are way to large to go at this.

What your thoughts from the experience you have?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a lot of experience, but from what I have, I'd say you could do it cleaner with the backhoe.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
:focus:

Runner,

Thanks for the pics, you gotta admit that our little machines save a lot of wear and tear on our backs. Can you imagine doing that work with a shovel, a pic, and an axe? I get tired just thinking about it.:morning2

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Yep, stumps are fun. Sometimes I still need to get out and help the process a bit, but the backhoe on the B21 isn't the biggest beast in the backhoe world either :mocking:.

Maybee it would have gone faster if the tractor was green...:morning2:

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Size does matter :)

I have used my 2520 and 46BH to remove significant stumps - some weighing just under 4k pounds. Tools required would be a toothbar and backhoe -anything less would have been a waste of time.....using the 2520 I dug around the stump, removing all the roots and eventually getting the massive ball to move. Of course getting it out of there was anothor issue...So I dug a ramp for my truck to drive down (backwards) and pushed the massive ball onto the truck dump bed.....

The L39 was added at a later date, and of course makes the process much easier and faster to say the least

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duc,

That stump was bigger than the tractor! Holy cow.

So far, the hardest one I've found was a little, teenie Osage orange tree, couldn't have been more than 8" dia. Problem was, it was growing amongst a buried pile of rocks and the hoe really didn't like moving the rocks. Bent the teeth all up and everything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
WOW, from these pictures, I assume its not worth even trying it with the tractor. I will have to tell him the backhoe is a must or I am not doing it.

·
Administrator
21,006 Posts
I will have to tell him the backhoe is a must or I am not doing it.
Yes, I agree...digging stumps with a FEL bucket would be a futile effort-a backhoe or mini-ex is needed.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, I agree...digging stumps with a FEL bucket would be a futile effort-a backhoe or mini-ex is needed.
It CAN be done...I had to pull this monster oak (and a couple others)...and I just used what I had...Subsoiler & FEL...definetly takes long, and IMO I wouldnt recommend it in a nice/finished area because you end up digging a monster hole.
I HAD to remove these because it was the garage site/driveway...but I got another monster oak in the yard I cut this fall that I'll just grind with a stump grinder.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
It CAN be done...I had to pull this monster oak (and a couple others)....
So Dave, approximately how long did it take per stump? Couldn't have been real quick.

...but I got another monster oak in the yard I cut this fall that I'll just grind with a stump grinder.
I have been using a stump grinder as well. :good2: Seems like a good way to go if you don't have to remove the whole root ball.

·
Registered
733 Posts
So Dave, approximately how long did it take per stump? Couldn't have been real quick.
Too long...good thing I was in the A/C :laugh: But seriously, I want to say I started that one at 9:00ish and was done at Noon....The other one I pulled out at Thanksgiving went quicker cause my FIL was around to help...prolly took an hour to get that one.

I have been using a stump grinder as well. :good2: Seems like a good way to go if you don't have to remove the whole root ball.
The big one in the yard will definetly get ground, Its a wash $$$ for me...Renting a grinder will cost, but I'd need to buy a load of Loam if I dig it out.....but I do have 1 more I need to pull out. Luckily its a smaller one.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
We had a little extra dirt left over from the house construction, so I had 10 truckloads dumped in hidden section of the property. Put the rest on the back of a dam so it could be cut. BTW, that's a kid on the top of the pile, but it was still about 25' high.

Seems like a "good goal" in rural life is to have a dirt pile, a topsoil pile, and a gravel pile so things can be maintained.

Pete

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts