Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why won't this #$&n stump come out. Thought I did good. Cut all of the roots. Realized it was more than likely too heavy for the little guy so I hooked it up to my truck and no bueno. Tap root?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
Most likely answer is a tap root. I mean, something has to be keeping it there right? :laugh:

Do you know what type of tree is was?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
what breed of tree

You'd be surprized how big the root ball on an Oak is.

They are a pita to dig out......Now I leave the tree attatched for leverage and the little mini ex can topple 100' r's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not know what kind of tree it was. It's been a stump since we bought the land. We have a lot of thorny locust kind of trees on the property. The previous owners had a bunch of the "bad trees" cleared from this 2 acres to build on. (then they didn't). So I have about 15 more stumps to get out after this one.

·
Registered
846 Posts
honey locust (thorny) ....of which i try to remove 20-50 each year on my property....are a major tap root tree......in addition to usually 2-3 major branch roots .

i use a full size backhoe ...dig perimeter feeling for and cutting the branch roots then push as high as i can reach in wet weather to break the tap root .....then drag them off........yep if thats what it is you have more work to do sir wet weather can be your friend

as a service to others...i have learned to ring the tree usually fall before leaves fall...then pour Tordon in the ring...let it set sometimes a year but at least till spring....if you dont use a killer they left over roots will sprout a whole crop of sucker sprouts you will have to deal with later....but i wait to deal with them...one of these days i will have them eradicated hopefully before i die on my property (i am very open to other methods)

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I believe you have some more digging to do.
I can't figure out where to dig more. Out from the tree? Just deeper? Is there a way to get under the stump that I can't think of? I kept going deeper thinking there must be more root but never hit any. Might just be asking too much of the little dude.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
honey locust (thorny) ....of which i try to remove 20-50 each year on my property....are a major tap root tree......in addition to usually 2-3 major branch roots .

i use a full size backhoe ...dig perimeter feeling for and cutting the branch roots then push as high as i can reach in wet weather to break the tap root .....then drag them off........yep if thats what it is you have more work to do sir wet weather can be your friend

as a service to others...i have learned to ring the tree usually fall before leaves fall...then pour Tordon in the ring...let it set sometimes a year but at least till spring....if you dont use a killer they left over roots will sprout a whole crop of sucker sprouts you will have to deal with later....but i wait to deal with them...one of these days i will have them eradicated hopefully before i die on my property (i am very open to other methods)

I lived on a small farm in north central MO a few years back that had a bunch of honey locust trees. I only lived there for about 4 years, but I had them pretty much eliminated by the time I moved back to KS. They sure made good firewood. None where I live now and no fireplace either.

Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have a customer of mine with a mini excavator, a backhoe and and a big a$$ trackhoe. That trackhoe put in my waterline and it just plucked stumps like this out like they weren't there. It was awesome.

He is going to have one of his guys stop by and pick it out for me. This one is right in the way of a swale I'm cutting for drainage at our new place. Then I can see what is going on and get a better feel for what I have ahead of me for the next 15 or so that aren't necessarily in the way of anything. Just ugly. May be time to rent a mini excavator or something.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I can't figure out where to dig more. Out from the tree? Just deeper? Is there a way to get under the stump that I can't think of? I kept going deeper thinking there must be more root but never hit any. Might just be asking to much of the little dude.

...think a tap root almost as big as the tree going strait down......has to be broken off since most are beyond practical diggable depth...........might try something on the stump to twist it to break it

edit: posted the same time as your trackhoe post .....that is the right tool for the job for sure

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
I can't figure out where to dig more. Out from the tree? Just deeper? Is there a way to get under the stump that I can't think of? I kept going deeper thinking there must be more root but never hit any. Might just be asking to much of the little dude.

Get under it.

Go deeper, then go in.

Stumps are hard. You have to be harder.

Weaken the dirt around it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can't figure out where to dig more. Out from the tree? Just deeper? Is there a way to get under the stump that I can't think of? I kept going deeper thinking there must be more root but never hit any. Might just be asking too much of the little dude.
A couple of years ago my little 1025TLB dug out a large poplar stump. By "large" I mean the butt cut was nearly 30 inches across the short side.
To get under it more I would have one outrigger down more than the other so the hoe could lean sideways to dig under the root ball.
It took several days to break it loose but it DID come out.
Stump 2.jpg
Stump 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The stump looks like a well seasoned locus tree stump. They have a very large and long tap root. I just dug one out similar to size. Your going to have to go wider and deeper to topple the stump. They are one of the most stubborn roots I have ever had to dig out. Not to mention the wood is as hard as oak when seasoned.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I removed 4 locust stumps last year that had been left behind by the previous owner

I dug as deep as I could, a 6 to 8 foot circle and the tap root was almost 10 inches in diameter and it split into smaller roots at about 5 ft deep. Once I found where the root split I used a sawsall . . . two long days . . . and in the end hired a guy with a large machine to pick up the roots and haul them away.

Lots of seat time

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Can try fire

Like others have said, if it's locust you have a fight on your hands. However, it burns really well. I'd be tempted to get some charcoal, small chunks of light wood like pine and a mixture of diesel and gas. Knock as much dirt off as possible and clear it out. Put the charcoal and chunks of wood under the stump as far as you can, dose it good with the accelerant and light if off. Obviously you need to wait until it's safe and you have time to watch it but I think you could burn it out since you've dug down so far.

If that's not practical and you want to try something before renting an excavator, try putting the chain to the long root, wrap it around the stump and see of you can twist the stump and break the root. Use as much leverage as you can, roots are tough and if it's locust, they don't rot quickly.

If you've got 15 more to go, I'd think about renting a full size excavator and be done with them. A mini will get them but not quickly.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Do you have a wood splitter, and another large(er) tree nearby?

Hook the wood splitter to both the stump, and the other tree,, with LARGE chains,,

the stump WILL come out,,, that wood splitter will pull more than 10X times what your truck can pull,,,

·
Registered
935 Posts
Like others have said, if it's locust you have a fight on your hands. However, it burns really well. I'd be tempted to get some charcoal, small chunks of light wood like pine and a mixture of diesel and gas. Knock as much dirt off as possible and clear it out. Put the charcoal and chunks of wood under the stump as far as you can, dose it good with the accelerant and light if off. Obviously you need to wait until it's safe and you have time to watch it but I think you could burn it out since you've dug down so far.

If that's not practical and you want to try something before renting an excavator, try putting the chain to the long root, wrap it around the stump and see of you can twist the stump and break the root. Use as much leverage as you can, roots are tough and if it's locust, they don't rot quickly.

If you've got 15 more to go, I'd think about renting a full size excavator and be done with them. A mini will get them but not quickly.

Treefarmer
I second the fire method. It works great and is extremely easy. It also makes beer go down better.

I’ll be burning hackberry and cedar stumps after they dry out some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is my 2 cents. I don't have any heavy equipment to pull with. ('cept my 83 6.2 C-30 dually.) I've done a few locus stumps in the past 10-15 years or so, and have done as you have. Digging and cutting, with garden tools. In my earlier excursions, I would hammer on my poor truck, thinking these little stumps would yank right out. Turns out there's more digging needed before they'll give in. The best hand tools that have been most successful for me has been heavy pruning shears, (roots 2 " and smaller), a saws-all with a pruning blade,(roots larger than 2") small garden shovel, (for digging "under", the root ball), a 20 lb pinch bar for loosening dirt, and breaking roots, but the tool giving the biggest advantage, was a 4' farm jack that I place under a major root, to help rip apart the hidden suckers, that aren't so obvious. My truck has thanked me on numerous occasions since the inception of the farm jack. And yes, removing stumps by hand is for the totally ambitious, and not for the faint of heart. Another way is to use pulleys, like block and tackle to give a mechanical advantage. Check out the you tube videos on this method. I don't have the equipment for that either, and don't want to invest in them. Good luck with yours.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts