Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep building nests under my porch pillars and under the eves of my house!!! Ive tried a few way to keep them away! One being little pieces of wood that I put a few long nail spikes through the bottom and screwed into the top pillars much like you see in strip malls/shopping plaza's. I recently bought a fake Hawk and move it every few days. Dang things still build nests!! Anyone have any sure-way ideas to keep these pesky poopers off the specific areas I dont want them in. Shooting would be my first option but my wife wont take kind to that.. haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My dad built caps for the inside of the posts that tapered to a peak(think sloped pieces of wood) that kept the birds from being able to get the nesting material to stay put.

·
Registered
22,632 Posts
My dad built caps for the inside of the posts that tapered to a peak(think sloped pieces of wood) that kept the birds from being able to get the nesting material to stay put.
That was going to be my suggestion as well. Don't give them a flat surface to build the nest.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
NIXALITE of moline makes Bird Control spikes for that exact problem. They are make here and sold around the world.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Keep building nests under my porch pillars and under the eves of my house!!! Ive tried a few way to keep them away! One being little pieces of wood that I put a few long nail spikes through the bottom and screwed into the top pillars much like you see in strip malls/shopping plaza's. I recently bought a fake Hawk and move it every few days. Dang things still build nests!! Anyone have any sure-way ideas to keep these pesky poopers off the specific areas I dont want them in. Shooting would be my first option but my wife wont take kind to that.. haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dolling out some dirt naps is the only permanent solution. lol
She will get over it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'd agree with the use of tapered blocks. The spike strips work, but don't look as pretty. At my place I have a pair of Eastern Phoebes who build nests on my porches. They follow me on the 2720 and eat the bugs while I'm mowing, so I leave them be. I like flycatchers. The poop is a maintenance issue, though.

·
Registered
568 Posts
birds are flying rats!! one more thing you can try is putting something gooey and sticky were you dont want them.. they get it on their feet drives them nuts:laugh:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
birds are flying rats!! one more thing you can try is putting something gooey and sticky were you dont want them.. they get it on their feet drives them nuts:laugh:
We had sparrows take up residence in our attic when I was working on rebuilding the soffit and fascia. Sticky mouse traps took care of them. :nunu:

Probably not legal with songbirds, but it certainly cured our hobo problem!

Your spikes are too far apart, Tim. You need them to be difficult to stand next to without poking the bird (poking is the idea here). I'd also make them sharper to pierce the feathers and poke the bird's skin when trying to land.

Think "porcupine", or just make some caps that don't offer a perch. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
I used stretched Slinky's to keep pigeons from perching and pooping at an apartment I rented many years ago. It was fun watching them try to perch only to have the Slinky prevent them from doing so due to the movement. Slinky's aren't as pretty as tapered caps; but they cheap and easy at the time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Nice looking place you have, love that green grass!

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Go to the dollar store and buy a rubber snake. Take the nest down and put the snake there....They'll move on in short order.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've heard that if you were to lay a rubber snake up there - they would avoid the area. :dunno:
At the bike shop where I used to work part time the owner put a rubber snake on a light by the main entry.to deter them. They built a nest on top of the snake.
I knock down every nest I see that's on my house or garage...no matter whether it's in construction or has eggs - unhatched or hatched. My girlfriend thinks I'm mean but it is what it is. I live in the woods...plenty of trees for them to use. If you let a nest go...especially robins...they'll only return again the next year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The old saying is, "You build it they will come". If you don't want them around, build it so they cannot perch on it, it is that simple. These creatures of the wild keep many bugs in check. Some are dirty, I know, such as the starlings. They will build in what ever hole they can find. I had a squirrel house I built, made the hole too large. Starlings took it over the first spring it was out. I took it down, made a smaller hole. Now it is occupied by a family of Blue Birds. Great mosquito catchers. It is just like any other creature on this great planet, they all have a reason whether you like them or not. Just my $.02 like it or not!

·
Registered
474 Posts
At the bike shop where I used to work part time the owner put a rubber snake on a light by the main entry.to deter them. They built a nest on top of the snake.
I knock down every nest I see that's on my house or garage...no matter whether it's in construction or has eggs - unhatched or hatched. My girlfriend thinks I'm mean but it is what it is. I live in the woods...plenty of trees for them to use. If you let a nest go...especially robins...they'll only return again the next year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
well, if the rubber snake doesn't work the only other thing I can think of would be...
flamethrower.jpg
Remember, there is no kill like overkill!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
It is just like any other creature on this great planet, they all have a reason whether you like them or not. Just my $.02 like it or not!
This is true. However I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the groundhog.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts