Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Just picked up a 1991 STX38 (gear) last night that doesn't currently run but the previous owner says that, when the battery had a charge, the engine would turn over but not start. Never owned a tractor before but I'm handy enough with small engines.

I'm going to start with the electrical and fuel/air systems. Any advice on how to go about it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Air,Fuel,Spark. Make sure your getting all three, then start with fine tuning.Probably be a good time to buy a service/ engine manual.In the meantime,Post back what you find and Im sure you'll have some great help :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just be careful not to get in over your head. These mowers in good working condition only go for $350-$500 max. By the time u start spending JD money on these, you can end up spending more than its worth. I know b/c it has happened to me. The hood breaks at the hinge attachment & its $100 for a USED hood. Tires are $35 ea for front & $50 for back if they are dry rotted beyond tubes. Gear Transmissions wear out. But the Kohler 12.5 is a very good motor. Just b careful is all Im saying!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts