Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use one of these things for trenching? I have about a 150 feet of trench I need 8 to 10 inches deep. I can buy this sub-soiler for less than I can rent a trencher so I'm thinking of doing that and gain another implement at the same time. I'd have to put a different shoe on it after the first pass to make the trench wide enough but just thinking about it makes me think I can make it work.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,037 Posts
I made one for a quick trenching job I needed to do years ago. I just used a box blade ripper shank welded to a piece of 2x2 tube, then strapped a 1" piece of PVC conduit to it. If I had more to do there are a few changes I would make-but it got the job done.

A dry-run is a good idea to loosen the soil and make sure there are no rocks or roots in the way. A few pictures for Randy-and you of course:laugh:

1-Dry run
2-Close up shot of the rig, hung on my receiver hitch-that's hung on the iMatch
3-Wire fed through the pipe and anchored
4-Unit lowered, ready to plow
5-What it looks like after the wire is plowed in
6-At the end of the run, it's at least 12" to 14" deep
7-Looking toward the house after the wire was installed
8-After driving over it a few times to pack it down

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
My set up is similar to the one in the pictures.............

Only thing different on mine is I made it with 2 pins so I could run it shallower if desired. Glad I did the pin thing, because no matter what I do with it the shank sinks to the max depth the 3pt will go. Evidently the hook to the shank tooth pulls it right down.

I have pulled it at full depth through sod with no problem. JD855 (24hp-hydro, 4x4) pulls it with no problems. Turf tires, no fluid.... Yet.
Have used mine to grub out roots from tree stumps. Takes some time to grub all around the roots and stump, but you can get it eventually. Was about a 30" diameter pine stump with a couple 10" diameter roots in about a 40' diameter pattern to get it all.

If I had to bury wire, I might make a pass to open the ground, then go back with a wire guide like in the pictures and use LOTS of wire pulling lube...

Good luck
Wyo

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks KennyD and Wyobuckaroo for your suggestions. The photos are a tremendous help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts