Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know of a sub soiler stand and where I can get one to keep my sub soiler standing up when i take it off the 3 point

·
Administrator
17,287 Posts
I moved your thread to the correct forum and changed the title so you get more views.

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
I'm not sure which subsoiler you have but if you do a Google search for "subsoiler parking stand" you will see a few examples. Most of these are a bit tipsy and I wouldn't trust them if you had any kids around.

I have a JD PS10-series subsoiler which is quick hitch compatible. I was originally going to come up with a stand but seeing how unstable they are I decided against it. I keep it laying on its side next to my rear blade. When it's time to hook it up I simply stand it up with the backbone against my blade and it stays there so I can grab it with the quick hitch.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,

There are a few ways to accomplish want you want to do:

1. Engage the subsoiler in your "parking" area where you keep the other implements and sink it into the ground about 8-10 inches and then unhook it. This is what we do on our ranch for large and small rippers.

2. Get a 1" pipe (about 2 - 3 inch pipe nipple) and weld it to the subsoiler frame (one on each side for more stability). Then slip 3/4" pipe inside and clamp it to retain (or drill holes for a slip pin). You can weld another piece of pipe perpendicular to the vertical pipe for more stability on the ground.

Yes, as others said, tell kids to stay away-- it isn't a toy to ride. (just like a rotary harrow isn't a toy to ride)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a JD PS10-series subsoiler which is quick hitch compatible.
When it's time to hook it up I simply stand it up with the backbone against my blade and it stays there so I can grab it with the quick hitch.
only problem for me is I'm disabled and getting on the tractor is tough enough:thumbsdown:
I also have the same subsoiler and JD quick hitch:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
only problem for me is I'm disabled and getting on the tractor is tough enough:thumbsdown:
I also have the same subsoiler and JD quick hitch
That's a tough one. The subsoiler isn't as bad as a post hole digger but it is a somewhat unwieldy implement to mount/unmount. What tractor are you using? Some tractors can barely get the subsoiler off the ground which could make a parking stand tricky.

Do you have access to welder to fabricate something or were you looking for something ready-made and commercially available?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a tough one. The subsoiler isn't as bad as a post hole digger but it is a somewhat unwieldy implement to mount/unmount. What tractor are you using? Some tractors can barely get the subsoiler off the ground which could make a parking stand tricky.

Do you have access to welder to fabricate something or were you looking for something ready-made and commercially available?
I have a 1025r
no more welding equipment looking for someone that could build it or has one ready made

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
I have a 1025r
no more welding equipment looking for someone that could build it or has one ready made
Do you have someone who can help you attach it? When I first got mine I just had someone hold it upright until I backed up to it and grabbed it with the quick hitch. When detaching we just layed it over. It was only later that I discovered I could lean it against the back blade.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It strikes me that a rectangular frame made from PT wood with one of the top cross pieces omitted would work just fine and be easy as hell to fabricate.

Al

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
It strikes me that a rectangular frame made from PT wood with one of the top cross pieces omitted would work just fine and be easy as hell to fabricate.

Al
Perhaps... but it will still likely take two people, especially during removal. Someone is going to have to hold the frame while the operator tries to carefully lower the subsoiler onto it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Build the stand into a pallet so that it is stable and will hold still while mounting/dismounting. Or have someone fabricate a triangle shaped "kickstand" that attaches to the back of the subsoiler.

I have a 1025R and a subsoiler. Also have a good friend in Kansas that travels a lot, and he is a great fabricator/welder. Maybe we could build you one.

Do they make a shorter subsoiler for the limited category 1 3 point tractors?

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Could you mount a couple hooks, by hooks I mean heavy steel rods or perhaps a couple 2x4’s with an angle brace that you could back up and hang in on?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I just lay mine on the ground until I want it then I pick it up and set it on my quick hitch

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I had this problem with my Countyline Subsoiler from TSC. The thing is a load and more than I want to pickup and man-handle by myself.

wos1.jpg

So I came up with the following which works for me. YMMV.

First thing I do for something like this is try to follow the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).
Second thing I do is try to figure out how to use whatever material I have on hand as much as possible. Due to fencing projects I have some chain-link fence hardware on hand, even if I didn't it is readily available at Lowes and Home Depot and is cheap.

The only tools needed are a saw, drill, and couple of wrenches.

The pipe I used is chain-link top-rail. Cut pieces for 2 legs and feet and joined them together with chain-link hardware.

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

Drilled 2 holes in subsoiler and legs to attach the legs. Used a piece of flat stock to connect the legs using pins and clips after drilling appropriate holes.

ws1.jpg

Plan is once its on the tractor and lifted to unpin the flat stock and fold the legs so they are sticking up and re-pin the flat stock to hold them up. Haven't fully checked this out yet for interference with anything, weather has not cooperated lately, but shouldn't be a problem.

Also note in the final pic that I replaced the pipe feet with longer pieces for greater stability. Seems solid as the plow section carries the weight, the legs just hold it up straight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts