Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this Sub-soiler on Facebook Marketplace for $55 .. the plan was to use it and weld some EMT conduit to the back of it to bury 1500 feet of dog "fence" wire.
(Coming soon...)

Other than that idea, this thing was probably not something I'd ever use for much... So, out comes the pencil and napkin...

I am going to add $72 worth of Steel, and $24 worth of 4X8X16 concrete block to make a 3 point ballast for my 1023e

The 3 point frame weighs 68lbs, the new steel 65lbs, and each of the blocks weighs about 34.5lbs

I will probably use 15 of 'em for 650lbs total ... but if I use 12, the total weight will be 547lbs...I haven't decided yet.
The loader manual says 601lbs, minimum, with fluid filled tires like mine or 517lbs if I also install my wheel weights.
I don't know that I need (or want) to exceed the minimum by too much...

Subsoiler.jpg

Parts.jpg

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
:munch:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some pics of my progress.

I started with a pretty clear plan in my head, but now I'm seeing I might be able to use this for even more stuff.

I'm gonna rethink how I was going to hold the blocks in, with the idea of leaving the bottom platform usable like a "carry all" when it's not full of blocks.

I did decide I will go with the 12 block plan. The 15 block idea may be too large, and is heavier than I "need".
I want to be mindful of safety, but I'm not building a crane nor forklift. 550ish will be a nice total.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made a little progress today...

I decided to build it so I can fit 15 blocks on it.
(~34.5lbs each... one is cut to about 2/3 of full size to clear the mount for the subsoiler... so.. about 505lbs)
I figure I can always put less blocks on it if I want...
The bracket now weighs 106lbs
It is roughly the same size as a ballast box... at 19" front to back, 26" wide" 20" tall.

I still have to fabricate a hold down for the blocks... maybe tomorrow. I'm going to make it removable so I can use this as a carry-all / lifting tool if i want.. or a platform to stand on or maybe put a tool box on. I have a short piece of 2" ID sq tube for a hitch to go into.
I haven't figured out "feet" for when I drop it ff the machine. Maybe I'll make "kickstands" to keep ground clearance greater... or maybe just static ones to keep it simple.

Still haven't decided on a shovel holder or maybe two... will think a bit on that.

106lbs
106.jpg

405lb
400.jpg

508lb
500.jpg

612lb
601.jpg

602.jpg

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,759 Posts
Good idea BWV and nice work. :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: BWV

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's going to live in the garage when not in use; I'd just use a furniture dolly. That's what I do with my ballast box.
Sadly, it will probably live outside.. no room inside.(yet)
I have one of the harbor freight dollies.. says 1000lb capacity... I dunno.. I think this would mush it...

I did make some more progress today...
Still need to figure out a latch for the hold down bracket, and put a piece of flat stock down the middle of the back...

7.jpg

8.jpg

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
When you are welding the last flat bar,,, :dunno:
how about adding a 2" receiver hitch, or at least a simple flat bar as a hitch?

You may not imagine towing anything with it,, but, eventually, that situation will occur,,,:flag_of_truce:

and if you ever get stuck, and need to pull from the rear,, a hitch will make a perfect connection point,,,:good2:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you are welding the last flat bar,,, :dunno:
how about adding a 2" receiver hitch, or at least a simple flat bar as a hitch?

You may not imagine towing anything with it,, but, eventually, that situation will occur,,,:flag_of_truce:

and if you ever get stuck, and need to pull from the rear,, a hitch will make a perfect connection point,,,:good2:
Post #5 says it all :bigthumb:

I have a short piece of 2" ID sq tube for a hitch to go into.
"That situation" has occurred to me bunches in life.

I want to make this thing as "utility" as time, effort, and leftover steel will allow :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: mjncad

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couple more things done today.. made some links to "latch" the block retainer on, and built an upside down T in the middle of the retainer to keep the center blocks in the bracket.

Next steps are a couple 6" legs, the hitch receiver block, and a little leg under that.
Then, the wire roll "axle" and wire guide to go behind the subsoiler to "plant" some dog fence wire.

Gonna give some thought to shovel, broom, lopping shear, and maybe chainsaw holders... not sure about those yet.

9.jpg

Reactions: keane and theduke

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did some more work today. ... I'd dare call the Ballast / Weight bracket done.

I still need to make the bit that will bury my dog fence wire and a spool holder, possibly some yard tool holders, and cut a nice plywood, or maybe 5/4PT decking for when it's just carrying stuff for me.
I'm not sure if I'll use the sub-soiler bit to dig for the wire, or a thinner cutter I made out of an old, very thick, mower blade that I used with my 318 that had worked well.

The weight of the bracket alone wound up at 130lbs.. add the 505lbs of blocks, and its 635 when fully loaded.

Made some legs for it today and attached the hitch receiver tube.
I made the legs screw on, so I can take them off to have a low CG but still have decent ground clearance when needed.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thats nice work. :bigthumb:

I really wish I had a space and equipment to weld. I am envious of you guys that can.......someday I will learn

Again, nice work and I really like the creativity.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Couple more pics... fulla blocks, on the machine.
I'm happy with the end result.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Reactions: BigJim55 and mjncad
1 - 14 of 14 Posts