Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 1025R TLB
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,
I have been reading some of the discussions on subsoilers using the search feature. I have a yard which has a lot of clay and the drainage is not great. It takes a long time for everything to dry out for mowing. I was thinking that maybe if I ripped some of the spots holding water that it may help. Long term plan is to till the entire back yard and work on the grade. I welcome any opinions on techniques and also subsoiler brands .
Mark

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I suspect any results would be short lived. It may help it drain if you have standing water but once that ground gets saturated again, the clay is just going to close back up and you'll be right back in the same boat. Driving over it will also compact the soil. The subsoiler would be a short term "fix" at best.

Reactions: Minuteman17

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
206 Posts
I did this on some food plots at my hunting club, because I could not get the disk to get much penetration. After it was easy to disk and I planted it, but it just gets dry and crusty and hard.

I'm trying to get more organic matter in it. And it takes alot more fertilizer, even though I added lime.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.