Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone! My sons and I are suburban dwellers who live near the country and close to the city! My son, Spencer, is an aspiring farmer. Thanks to his grandfather, Pa, who offers access to his farm about 20 minutes from home, we have many projects we are learning about. Also in our family, there is a 100 acre family hay farm that no longer has a tenant, so we are beginning to take care of it. Unfortunately, it's 100 miles away from us! We've recently acquired a 1997 John Deere 5300 tractor that will eventually stay at the hay farm. We are not in the hay business! We will mostly keep the farm mowed, build trails for the four-wheeler, and have food plots for deer hunting. As much as I would love to get into the hay business...there's just too much to do from too far a distance. We also often take a 1975 International Cub tractor with us to do some of the work, because it travels easily.

Additionally, we have a John Deere x300 lawn tractor that never let's us down...even when we use it to do a little more than it probably should. Hopefully, this forum will provide an opportunity to learn more about the 5300 and it's capabilities. This adventure has been a great opportunity to bond with my kids, especially Spencer.

You can also check us out on YouTube at BrutonTractors. We are always open to suggestions on how to do things. This is a hobby, not a profession and we never claim to know everything.

Thanks for reading this far! Let's have some fun with tractors!

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Premium Member
14,131 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio :gtfam:

·
Registered
11,759 Posts

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
Welcome and good luck, everyone(cept me) here is wise on the Green and other brands and the stuff that goes with it.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts

Welcome from New York.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Welcome from New York!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts

·
Registered
12,556 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Welcome

Hello everyone! My sons and I are suburban dwellers who live near the country and close to the city! My son, Spencer, is an aspiring farmer. Thanks to his grandfather, Pa, who offers access to his farm about 20 minutes from home, we have many projects we are learning about. Also in our family, there is a 100 acre family hay farm that no longer has a tenant, so we are beginning to take care of it. Unfortunately, it's 100 miles away from us! We've recently acquired a 1997 John Deere 5300 tractor that will eventually stay at the hay farm. We are not in the hay business! We will mostly keep the farm mowed, build trails for the four-wheeler, and have food plots for deer hunting. As much as I would love to get into the hay business...there's just too much to do from too far a distance. We also often take a 1975 International Cub tractor with us to do some of the work, because it travels easily.

Additionally, we have a John Deere x300 lawn tractor that never let's us down...even when we use it to do a little more than it probably should. Hopefully, this forum will provide an opportunity to learn more about the 5300 and it's capabilities. This adventure has been a great opportunity to bond with my kids, especially Spencer.

You can also check us out on YouTube at BrutonTractors. We are always open to suggestions on how to do things. This is a hobby, not a profession and we never claim to know everything.

Thanks for reading this far! Let's have some fun with tractors!
Welcome to the funny farm. . .

It sounds like you are going to have lots of fun. You might rethink that "Not in the hay business" thing. Maybe not this year but next year or so. My reasoning is that you will need to mow that 100 acres about the same number of times with a rotary mower as you would hay it but you get nothing out of it except nice looking fields. With just a little more work, you have the fields mowed plus some hay to sell. It's a thought anyway because I'm always ready to help someone else find work to do. . . and spend money on equipment.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
:wgtt:from MN

·
Registered
555 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts