Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have viewed more 1025s on CL than I thought possible. Low hour machines fro 200 to 465. Most were in the range of 14k depending on attachments. Many have the mmm and choices of loaders, snow blowers, broom or combinations. We tend to see more X series or 30+ hp tractors occasionally listed. Some say they want larger frame tractors . Others just not enough storage / usage to keep. It sounds like the dealer isn't offering high value trade options.
Mean while my 2004 4110 is working well with no need to update. Did my size requirement for small tasks and have a large model for the large maintenance. I believe sometimes the flashy design style and sales talk influence the final decision. Now I have to quite looking at the ads getting ideas.

·
Registered
307 Posts
4110 is a nice machine. My son in law had a 455 and got a 4110.:greentractorride: The thing I like the least about the 4110 is the mid mount mover removal. Other than that great machine.

·
Administrator
18,351 Posts
Lately I have viewed more 1025s on CL than I thought possible. Low hour machines fro 200 to 465.
Lot's of upgradin' to the new 2-series would be my guess :good2:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Lately I have viewed more 1025s on CL than I thought possible. Low hour machines fro 200 to 465. Most were in the range of 14k depending on attachments. Many have the mmm and choices of loaders, snow blowers, broom or combinations. We tend to see more X series or 30+ hp tractors occasionally listed. Some say they want larger frame tractors . Others just not enough storage / usage to keep. It sounds like the dealer isn't offering high value trade options.
Mean while my 2004 4110 is working well with no need to update. Did my size requirement for small tasks and have a large model for the large maintenance. I believe sometimes the flashy design style and sales talk influence the final decision. Now I have to quite looking at the ads getting ideas.

Well, the dealer can’t offer retail prices on trades since he needs to make a profit. If looking for a used tractor offer just north of what the dealers offer and maybe you can make a purchase. But understand new buyers also get warranty and JD backing for what ever time it is. Used stuff you are pretty much on your own. Are not most used stuff as is?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I agree with Kenny. I upgraded but plan on keeping my 1025. Might sell the H120 loader but I plan on keeping the tractor and snow plow.

·
Premium Member
9,186 Posts
The dealers I have spoken with talk about how quiet things are this time of year in the Lawn and Garden and SCUT / CUT market.

Perception is everything. Remember this started with the comment that Agent Blue was "viewing more 1 series for sale on Craigslist than he thought possible." What did he think was possible? So, how much of an increase is it really? After all his location is "Earth" and that's a big place......:laugh:

Traditionally, Christmas through about Saint Patrick's day (March 17th this year).....are slow times for SCUT and CUT and lawn and garden sales. Ag stuff is different because the AG guys need to be ready to get busy in late March and early April where the homeowners and those using the SCUT's are likely waiting for the weather to break as they need far less lead time.

It could also be people downsizing properties, or hiring lawn services due to changes often outside of their control (health, etc), it could be people looking to mow with a zero turn (if you want maximum efficiency in mowing, it's clearly the zero turn). It could be a massive filing of divorces causing sales because the couples are fighting over who won "Dancing with the Stars" or maybe the Super Bowl upset was more than their relationship could take......

It could be a lot of things or it could be nothing. It could be reality, or simply a perception. I am inclined to place it more in the "coincidence" of ads and his noticing them than it is a run to sell 1 series and suddenly trade up......

Just like today's equity markets, specifically the Dow today down nearly 1,600 points. Is the massive drop a panic or an opportunity? It all depends on your perspective. For me, It's the opportunity I have been waiting for.................

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There are few factors. First, I think the 1-series is JDs biggest success with residential customers since the 318. They are selling tons of them, which means more in the used market.

Another factor is the incredibly appealing value of the 3025, not a lot more expensive for a 3 series sized tractor, even though it is less versatile.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There are few factors. First, I think the 1-series is JDs biggest success with residential customers since the 318. They are selling tons of them, which means more in the used market.

Another factor is the incredibly appealing value of the 3025, not a lot more expensive for a 3 series sized tractor, even though it is less versatile.
Judging by the number of 3025e posts on the LCUT forum, I imagine that is a factor. I just traded in for a 3 series. My dealer says they can't keep them on the lot. Case in point, we went to our Ag Expo one Saturday, and the dealer's local location had 3 3025e's. I went back the following Friday and they were all sold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Could be people hoping to cash in on other's tax returns. The trade in on 1-series has always been low because new ones had warranty and 0%. Hard to pay cash for used when new has so much less risk. I love my 1026R, but I also knew what I needed. How many times have people bought a 1 and needed a 2 or even 3 series? That's always a popular thread.....

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
None in my area, and one in the surrounding areas. Do you live in the suburbs? Maybe people buy them because they're fun and then realize they don't need them in your neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
I upgraded from 1025 220hrs to the gen2 2032r. Found too many limitations to the 1025. Power was there, but the weight was not. Too low to the ground.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I upgraded from 1025 220hrs to the gen2 2032r. Found too many limitations to the 1025. Power was there, but the weight was not. Too low to the ground.
That’s the same with all these compact tractors, even the 2 and 3 series. You run out of tractor way before you run out of power. We are so geared to look at horsepower. When buying a tractor and judging the amount of work it will do, we should be looking at weight first. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That’s the same with all these compact tractors, even the 2 and 3 series. You run out of tractor way before you run out of power. We are so geared to look at horsepower. When buying a tractor and judging the amount of work it will do, we should be looking at weight first. Just my opinion.

The only time I even come close to running out of power is when I'm stacking snow high with the pusher (IE trying to run the hydraulics at the same time as powering the wheels). Even so, I'd estimate I'm only short 5-10HP from my dainty 25 horse Yanmar.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
No matter what,, be careful with the purchase,,,

The local news had a story last night about buying used cars,,
the same applies to tractors.

They even had a term for it,, I believe they are called "curb stones"

You buy a car without a clear title or ownership,,, YOU are out your money,,
Think of how many tractors there are with $10K+ left on the JD loan,,

The one issue with cars is Craigs List sellers are selling RENTALS!
Yep, they go rent a car,, then sell it,,,,
You basically get nothing for your money,, and no way to get the :gizmo: back,,,

·
Registered
23,112 Posts
Well said. The average homeowner knows nothing about weight, deck construction, etc.. So the marketing geniuses concentrate on horsepower rating. When Joe Homeowner goes to the big box store the only way he can compare tractors/lawn mowers is the HP. More must be better, right....?

As far as the OP’s original comment - location has a lot to do with it as already said. There is no way to discern any of this while looking in “planet earth”.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I run out of power constantly. I don't know what you people are doing with your tractors. :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Not me. I can bury my subsoiler 20 inches in the ground, if I hit rock, I lose traction way before the engine strains. My driveway is steep, with my land plane loaded with gravel coming up the hill, the tires will start slipping, engine is just purring along. I have yet to make her sweat.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts