Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Deere 2510 and have some land that needs to be brush hogged (or it seems some folks call it bush hogged -- not sure who is right). It's only 10 acres. When I bought it, the thing was overrun with Russian and Autumn Olives, which I had a service come and mulch in the spring. They did a fairly good job, but there are still plenty of chunks left in what is now chest-high grass.

I say all this because what I'm looking to do is mostly grasses and weeds, but there is chunky crap scattered across the ground. I don't want to spend a fortune on a brush hog, but also don't want to get junk that won't last. Figured I'd just buy used but all that's available is rusted out junk for $850-$1,000.

Any suggestions for a brush cutter for around $1500 that isn't trash? I have plenty of power (think 53HP at PTO) to pull whatever 5' deck we throw at it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
There was another thread this week about buying a rotary cutter. There is a nice Frontier 60 inch someone has for sale. The thread is titled 4 footer, but good buying used info is in it.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
The smallest I would consider for a 53 HP PTO is 6ft. Also, they are more plentiful and lower cost. When I bought my 4066R, I bought a 6ft for less than $1,000, but never used it because it was too small. I finally sold it a couple of years ago after I bought a 10ft brush hog. I have 52 PTO HP.

Here is a nice 6ft for $1400 John Deere 613 72" Brush Hog Cutter - farm & garden - by owner - sale

Dave

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
568 Posts
Just purchased a Deere 2510 and have some land that needs to be brush hogged (or it seems some folks call it bush hogged -- not sure who is right). It's only 10 acres.

Any suggestions for a brush cutter for around $1500 that isn't trash? I have plenty of power (think 53HP at PTO) to pull whatever 5' deck we throw at it.
You probably know this, but your 2510 has almost 55 PTO horsepower, so you should be able to pull a much larger rotary cutter than 5 ft. You are way more patient than I if you are willing to mow 10 acres with a 5 ft mower.

Admittedly, with a $1500 budget, you aren't going to find much available in larger rotary cutters except those that are very old.

This 10 ft pull type John Deere is in our C.L. for $2500, so there are options.

I am sure you would love using this 10 ft TS10 flexwing on your tractor, but there aren't many used ones around, and a new one is North of $10K.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.