Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at deck over gooseneck flatbeds. My tow vehicle is a 2011 F350 SRW 6.7 with a B&W turnover hitch with AirLift suspension air bags on the rear. I haul hay a few times a year, generally we like the 3x3x8 bales as we can use the JD with Artillian Forks to move the hay.

I was thinking on a 15,000- 18,000-GVW trailer (25- 28 feet long) with a beavertail, single wheels and flip over ramps. Does anyone have experience with flip over ramps? Do you have two or three ramps? and is the pop up center dovetail a good option??

I currently have a PJ 16 foot car hauler ..it works.... but it is not long enough and the fenders are a real pain hauling hay....

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
I have a 24', 14k Delta trailer. It's 20' flat, 4' dovetail with two flip over ramps. The dovetail is "adjustable", you can lift it up and it locks to give you a full 24' flat. The ramps can stand straight up and be held by the chains that secure them. Overall I've been pretty happy with the trailer. The underside is not painted, only primed and they had the breakaway battery wired up to only charge when you hit the brake pedal. I required it to charge whenever the trailer is connected and don't have any real complaints other than I wish it were a 30' and rated for about 22k.

Sounds like you're looking at about what mine is. If the ramps fold level with the deck and the center of the dovetail pops up even with them as well that would be the same end result as what my trailer does. Might even be better, because your dovetail may be able to be built out of angle iron. Mine is a solid sheet of diamond plate which gets a little slick when it's wet or muddy.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I have a 20' + 5' PJ gooseneck single wheel, dual axle, with 2 flip-up ramps. I'm really happy with it. What I would do different is I would do a tandem, likely 25'+5', and with a deck over. I have a deck-over on my dump trailer, and love it. Every trailer should have it.

My dump is a Load Trail and it's been really good. It's a tridem, single tire.

When we hauled square bales this fall we just put some plywood across the ramps.

I much prefer the flip over ramps to slide in. I can't comment on a 3rd middle ramp as I've never had one. I've never longed for one, I can tell you that.

Any other Q's, let me know. I've been running my goose since 2007 and love it.

-J.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm looking at deck over gooseneck flatbeds. My tow vehicle is a 2011 F350 SRW 6.7 with a B&W turnover hitch with AirLift suspension air bags on the rear. I haul hay a few times a year, generally we like the 3x3x8 bales as we can use the JD with Artillian Forks to move the hay.

I was thinking on a 15,000- 18,000-GVW trailer (25- 28 feet long) with a beavertail, single wheels and flip over ramps. Does anyone have experience with flip over ramps? Do you have two or three ramps? and is the pop up center dovetail a good option??

I currently have a PJ 16 foot car hauler ..it works.... but it is not long enough and the fenders are a real pain hauling hay....

Thanks in advance
I bought a PJ 16000# GN deck over, single wheel 28' or 23+5 beaver tail with three flip over ramps for moving last year and it worked out well. I like the nice flat rear bed it gives when all the tails are flipped ahead. A friend has a drop down center but I prefer the regular tail as it is easier to load machinery and not miss.
I aluminum diamond plated the tails for a nice look and something that is easier to walk on. Make sure they are spring assist for ease of operation. But the trailer is loooong. I have to remind myself of that every time I take it out. A tip, make sure the trailer is powder painted. That makes the finish very durable.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a PJ 16000# GN deck over, single wheel 28' or 23+5 beaver tail with three flip over ramps for moving last year and it worked out well. I like the nice flat rear bed it gives when all the tails are flipped ahead. A friend has a drop down center but I prefer the regular tail as it is easier to load machinery and not miss.
I aluminum diamond plated the tails for a nice look and something that is easier to walk on. Make sure they are spring assist for ease of operation. But the trailer is loooong. I have to remind myself of that every time I take it out. A tip, make sure the trailer is powder painted. That makes the finish very durable.:greentractorride:
I'm fairly sure your trailer is the same, as the one that I'm looking at. This trailer is a 2007 year model and they have installed a 12,000 lb winch ( done up right according to the owner) with the battery installed in the front attached tool box.

Are the ramps heavy? I like the idea of aluminum diamond plate on the bottom of the ramps, does it scratch on the ground? What is the weight of the trailer? Do you know the payload?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Mine weighs 5200lbs, so that one will probably be closer to 6500 with the extra length and deck over. My payload is about 11000lbs. I get that number like this:

2 x 7000lb axles = 14000

Truck takes 20% of the load with a GN, so 14000x1.2=16800 Bumper pull would take 5%.

Trailer weighs 5200, so 16800-5200=11600

Is it a tridem or tandem? I would not by a single tandem in that length - not enough payload. I can pretty easily load up the max on mine at only 25'. Try and get a Dually with 10k or 12k axles, or a tridem with 3 x 7k. Tridems chew up your yard when turning, so they're my second choice.

I've dragged the back end of my trailer many times, it happens. With the spring assist to lift them they're very manageable. The diamondplate is a great idea - I'm always worried I'm gonna drop my foot between the slats and break my freakin' tibia.....

Make sure you get a big toolbox. You'll soon have it full of tie-down ratchet straps and chains, and a persuader, and binders......

You're truck can pull a bigger trailer - don't short yourself payload to save a few hundred bucks.

The winch is a nice treat, but only if you think you'll need it. The battery will take up valuable toolbox space. When I asked about one it was gonna be about 1000$ for a winch. What I would consider are motorized jacks, but again, about 1000$ and I need the exercise anyway.....

-J.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine weighs 5200lbs, so that one will probably be closer to 6500 with the extra length and deck over. My payload is about 11000lbs. I get that number like this:

2 x 7000lb axles = 14000

Truck takes 20% of the load with a GN, so 14000x1.2=16800 Bumper pull would take 5%.

Trailer weighs 5200, so 16800-5200=11600

Is it a tridem or tandem? I would not by a single tandem in that length - not enough payload. I can pretty easily load up the max on mine at only 25'. Try and get a Dually with 10k or 12k axles, or a tridem with 3 x 7k. Tridems chew up your yard when turning, so they're my second choice.

I've dragged the back end of my trailer many times, it happens. With the spring assist to lift them they're very manageable. The diamondplate is a great idea - I'm always worried I'm gonna drop my foot between the slats and break my freakin' tibia.....

Make sure you get a big toolbox. You'll soon have it full of tie-down ratchet straps and chains, and a persuader, and binders......

You're truck can pull a bigger trailer - don't short yourself payload to save a few hundred bucks.

The winch is a nice treat, but only if you think you'll need it. The battery will take up valuable toolbox space. When I asked about one it was gonna be about 1000$ for a winch. What I would consider are motorized jacks, but again, about 1000$ and I need the exercise anyway.....

-J.

It is a single wheel tandem, I believe he said it has a GVW of 15,000. I was concerned of the additional cost of tires with a dual tire tandem..But maybe that isn't such a huge deal?? Perhaps I should reevaluate ???

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
It is a single wheel tandem, I believe he said it has a GVW of 15,000. I was concerned of the additional cost of tires with a dual tire tandem..But maybe that isn't such a huge deal?? Perhaps I should reevaluate ???
I would re-evaluate. I do regret not having more capacity, and after 7 years with it the tires are still fine. If you're running it everyday, you'll wear them out, but it sounds like your use is like mine - lumber runs, bales 2x a year, maybe haul a tractor every now and then.

This is a prime example of decide what you want, and go one step up!!! If you're concerned about tire costs, get a tridem. You'll still have the capacity, buuuuuuut you do have another set of brakes and an axle to consider...... what to do, what to do.......???? I'd say do either, just don't do a tandem single!!! You've go the truck, take advantage of it.

-J.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to start a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge debate here, what are some notable manufactures of trailers? Anyone heard of Big Bubba or Walton trailers?

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Trailers are somewhat regional. I've heard lots of good things about Big Tex and PJ, I've been pretty happy with my Delta.

I prefer dual tires to three axles, I have to deal with some tight areas and occasionally have two axles scrubbing. With three I'm sure I'd roll a tire off the rim before too long. Another point is that most of the dual wheel axles are set up with oil bath bearings instead of grease so it's one less thing to have to do. Just keep an eye on the oil level and watch for leaks.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I've had really good luck with my PJ flatdeck. I'd buy another PJ in a heartbeat.

My dump is a Load-Trail, and it's been pretty good. There was a couple of issues, but they made good on it.

Fordie - have you ever popped a tire off?? I've often thought I was going to, but have never had it happen.

Oil bath would be nice too, but I think you pay a premium for that. A grease gun and 5 minutes of your time every 2 months might save you some cashola.

I've never heard of Big Bubba, or Walton. I know that some of the smaller manufacturers might not have the build quality, or the rust resistance, that PJ, Load Trail, have.

-J.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Fordie - have you ever popped a tire off?? I've often thought I was going to, but have never had it happen.
I've been very close, and I think the only reason I haven't is because I wasn't on pavement and the dirt got pushed around. I have a couple of spots I have to get into where I have to jack knife the truck and trailer several times before I can get everything where it needs to be.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had really good luck with my PJ flatdeck. I'd buy another PJ in a heartbeat.

My dump is a Load-Trail, and it's been pretty good. There was a couple of issues, but they made good on it.

Oil bath would be nice too, but I think you pay a premium for that. A grease gun and 5 minutes of your time every 2 months might save you some cashola.

I've never heard of Big Bubba, or Walton. I know that some of the smaller manufacturers might not have the build quality, or the rust resistance, that PJ, Load Trail, have.

-J.
I should have stated both Big Bubba and Walton are Utah manufactures. They both claim to powder coat their trailers..?

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I should have stated both Big Bubba and Walton are Utah manufactures. They both claim to powder coat their trailers..?
That's good.

See if you can find a couple of them that are 5+ years old and see how they look. That'll give you a gauge of quality.

Big Tex and Kaufman are common around here too.

-J.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have a 14GN big tex with LEDs, center popup and heavy duty ramps. 20' + 2' beaver tail Anyone know what it would be worth? It's a 2011 and like new. Gonna downsize to a bumper pull.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
6-8 up here....

·
Registered
892 Posts
That's what I was hoping. They're great trailers. My needs have just shrunk a little. Going to get a low rider 10k tilt if I can find one.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
You seem like a pretty experienced guy, so I'm guessing you know this already, but a bumper pull with NEVER pull nearly as nice as your goose. Just a thought.....

-J.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Thanks, but ya, I know. Used to have a 7K lowrider but my Jeep is a pig (weighs ~5500) so I needed more capacity. The 14GN has no problems carrying the Jeep, but the ramps are a bit wide for the 3005 and not compatible w/ the ZTrak. I'm sure my quad cab diesel will keep the trailer in-line, but I very much expect it to ride like a truck and I'm fine w/ that. :lol:

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Your jeep is "sturdy", not a pig!!! It has feelings too you know!!!

Hahahahah

1 - 20 of 37 Posts