Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you have the $ a grapple is a great tool. I found a used grapple that came off a wrecked mini skid steer for not much money. It did take a lot of straightening and still isn't totally like it should be but works well.

I have pallet forks and the grapple. If I'm dealing with brush, limbs etc. I'll take the grapple every time. I just have a lot more control with the grapple plus it's easy to pick up stray brush, put it in the pile and grab it all in one bunch with the grapple. Seldom do I have to hand load anything with the grapple plus it will hold small stuff that might fall through the forks.

The Artillian diverter valve works well and Kenny is a first class person to deal with. It's not inexpensive but mine has worked well.

If the bank account doesn't allow for the grapple, use what you've got. Lots of members on here use pallet forks to move brush and logs. I'd use them as well if I didn't have the grapple.

Treefarmer
I can squeak it through the bank account. BUT, if any of you breathe a word of this (cost) to my wife, I will hunt you down. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There are numerous videos...utube has them from Goodworks Tractor. To outfit one on your tractor you may need over $2000. If the photo you show is your clean up area you do have a big job. I've got a 1025r but my grapple is on my JD4400 with more power and clearance. I kinda looks like your area needs logging and you'll have tons of stumps. Be safe.
The picture is my back yard. I also have 9 acres with a shed that has been neglected for years, and a lake place that I need to do some cleanup on. So, I have several places to use it. Here is a more current picture of the back yard.(Bonus points if you spot the deer.)

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,218 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went with the JD AV20F because it was the lightest one I could find at the time. Then installed the Artillian diverter which was a simple job. No regrets with the setup at all. Works great.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
my approach to your area would be "if permitted to start a center burn pile and cut trees grapple onto the pile. You may also need a stump grinder. It could be cheaper to have an excavator and push the trees over up root and then pile up and burn. Still could use the 1025R for dirt work. You could probably clean that place up in a day or two with excavator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'd love to burn this in place, but I am in the city limits and on a portion of the Mississippi designated "wild and scenic". I had to whine, beg, and pull teeth to get permission to do the cleanup I did. Burning permits in town are restricted to "recreational fires" no more than 30" in diameter.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
I'd love to burn this in place, but I am in the city limits and on a portion of the Mississippi designated "wild and scenic". I had to whine, beg, and pull teeth to get permission to do the cleanup I did. Burning permits in town are restricted to "recreational fires" no more than 30" in diameter.
Dang, between wild and scenic and city ordinances you've got little wiggle room I'm sure.

Enjoy the grapple, they are really handy for that type work. I forget your wife's name but if I remember, I won't tell her.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I can't load my video of me dragging a tree out from behind another one with just the bucket and toothbar on. Then I picked it up and carried it to the brush pile.

Sure I could spend the money for a grapple but I wont. I still have a lot of trees that love dropping limbs and I help my neighbors out with Betsy when I can so I could justify owning one.

No I don't have forks. That was the one attachment I should own!

20200318_172716.jpg
20200318_173117.jpg

Good luck!

WB

·
Registered
654 Posts

Deer?

Edit: I see Levi beat me.

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
When I first purchased the grapple my wife was not impressed. Just another toy.

Today, "There is a pile of stuff I cut / trimmed over...... that you need to pick up with the grapple".

Now she is starting to come up with backhoe projects!

I married good, real good.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You need to explain to the powers to be that a "prescribed burn" is very well and universally accepted practice in managing "wild" places.
In fact without burning many ecosystems will degrade from rare and endangered to common and full of invasive stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I have a 1025R that I picked up used last year. I had a new 120R loader installed, and purchased the pallet forks that go with it.
This winter, I had some trees cleared on my land, I had them cut into 6-8' lengths. It looks like an early spring, and I would like to remove the cut-up sections.
It is low land by the river, so I will have to wait a bit before I drive around down there without tearing it up.
So, anyway, my question for the group is ....
What do people recommend for the job? I'm leaning towards a grapple, but which one?
I've seen grapples that use the loader frame, ones that get added to the loader bucket, but each of these require an additional hydraulic line/splitter, etc
I've seen one that attaches to the front quick hitch frame.
Or am I just as well off to use the loader bucket (I have added Ken's Bolt On Hooks), or the pallet forks?
If people think I should use a bucket add-on or addition to loader frame, what does it take to add the additional hydraulics?
What have your experiences been with Grapples?
View attachment 731352
I'd give a serious look to an Add A Grapple by Precision Engineering. I have one and I couldn't be without it. Not terribly expensive, but there is plumbing involved. I've learned how to pick up a large pile of brush, logs, or a large log by moving the bucket into and under whatever I want to pickup, then gradually rolling the open bucket over and down over the the pile, then closing the grapple. I'm sometimes laugh at what a large pile I've picked up. Even a big tree isn't a problem to cut up and move given the time for the back and forth to the brush pile.

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
So if a person had a need for pallet forks and a grapple would the Artillian system be your choice or a wicked root grapple and separate pallet forks? I definitely have a need for pallet forks and would find uses for the grapple. I have been using the front loader, chains, and the backhoe as a grapple for the time being.

·
Registered
654 Posts
So if a person had a need for pallet forks and a grapple would the Artillian system be your choice or a wicked root grapple and separate pallet forks? I definitely have a need for pallet forks and would find uses for the grapple. I have been using the front loader, chains, and the backhoe as a grapple for the time being.
To me, a lot would depend on how often you plan to switch between the two. One of the reasons I went with Deere was the ease of changing attachments. The grapple section of the Artillian setup is 90 lbs, and I wasn't looking forward to wrestling that off the frame whenever I needed to use the pallet forks. I went seperate forks and grapple.

·
Premium Member
8,425 Posts
So if a person had a need for pallet forks and a grapple would the Artillian system be your choice
If you have limited storage space
or you'll be using one piece 90% of the time and the other 10% of the time.

I use the grapple most of the time. I think last year I used the forks maybe 3 times. It is nice to just have two forks sitting in the corner out of the way and not a full implement in the way.

The few times I want to use the forks, I slide the frame out of the grapple and put it back on the tractor.

If you have the room and you will be switching back and forth often, two separate implements would be easier.

I don't make a living playing with my toys so time is no big deal to me.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't own forks. Grapple is my most used implement. Of all the hours I spend a year (approx 150-200) on the tractor the grapple is being used 99% of the time.
I use the grapple for picking up skids were forks would be handy. I just run a sling thru the skid attach the sling to the hooks on the lower jaw and pick up skids that way.
I had a chipper delv'd and a bandsaw all within the last year. The delv trucks always come with lift gates on them so I'm starting at ground level.

A set of forks could be used for what I use the grapple for, but they are woefully inadequate at the job. Better to have the right tool for the vast majority of the work and suffer with something less efficient at the stuff you do 1-2 times/yr.

For the few times I could use one I get by with a grapple. Its not worth having another pc of equipment laying around plus the cost.

·
Registered
290 Posts
For a small tractor I would consider the smaller offerings from MTL. I'm cheap like that and their stuff is well enough built to suit my needs. I have their heavier RK5 model and it's a beast.

When I first purchased the grapple my wife was not impressed. Just another toy.

Today, "There is a pile of stuff I cut / trimmed over...... that you need to pick up with the grapple".

Now she is starting to come up with backhoe projects!

I married good, real good.
My wife goes back and forth. A while back before I got the grapple we were loading the big ol backhoe bucket full of limbs. She announced the backhoe was part of the family and couldn't be sold. The original plan was to clean out all the stumps from a clear cut then sell it. Now that I have a grapple and the backhoe continues to need repairs she can't wait for it to be gone. Unfortunately I'm not done with it and don't know if I ever will be.

Leading up to getting the grapple she proclaimed she couldn't wait for me to get one because she was tired of hearing about them. Now when she sees it heading out to a burn pile with a load she comments on how great it is to have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To me, a lot would depend on how often you plan to switch between the two. One of the reasons I went with Deere was the ease of changing attachments. The grapple section of the Artillian setup is 90 lbs, and I wasn't looking forward to wrestling that off the frame whenever I needed to use the pallet forks. I went seperate forks and grapple.
That is a good point. I did not realize they were that heavy.

If you have limited storage space
or you'll be using one piece 90% of the time and the other 10% of the time.

I use the grapple most of the time. I think last year I used the forks maybe 3 times. It is nice to just have two forks sitting in the corner out of the way and not a full implement in the way.

The few times I want to use the forks, I slide the frame out of the grapple and put it back on the tractor.

If you have the room and you will be switching back and forth often, two separate implements would be easier.

I don't make a living playing with my toys so time is no big deal to me.
Currently space is an issue but am looking at building an addition and will have more indoor space to store them. At this point these would be switched whenever I needed too and the easier they ate to swap from one to the other the better.

Thanks for the information and things to consider.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I’ve made grapples for both of my tractors, do a search on Dirt Rod, the posts are a few years old but you’ll find details, electrical wiring and parts lists for a DIY grapple.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts