Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 1025, fel, mmm, tiller, do I need weights for tilling, if I leave the fel on?

Or on the rear weights when using the fel if I keep the tiller on?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The FEL and tiller should effectively provide a counter weight for the other attachment for you. I have my rear grader blade on with the FEL in the summer and with the snow blower in the winter. I do add my suitcase weights to rear blade in the winter only to increase down force on the blade to cut through compacted snow and ice. The ultimate answer of course is experience.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am thinking about buying a 1025, fel, mmm, tiller, do I need weights for tilling, if I leave the fel on?

The FEL should suffice for tilling.

Regarding ballasting the FEL with the tiller... The manual specifies what is required for ballasting the loader. If you tiller meets these (I suspect it does not) then you are fine. Otherwise look in to a proper ballast box or weight rack to ballast your loader.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You will need more ballast than a tiller will provide in order to make maximum use of the FEL. It will also feel and be safer as well. There is a thread on here somewhere that talks about ballast requirements. The owners manual of course is a great place to start. Generally more is good until you reach the limits of either your front or rear axle. Hard to do for the rear but easy to do for the front.

An FEL is plenty of ballast for a tiller. If the nose of the tractor still rises, you can always get a scoop of dirt to add more weight.

If you are looking for suitcase weights and a way to mount them go to our supporting vendor Heavy Hitch.com. I saw the prices on his weights and they are pretty good. I am sure the shipping may hurt but you don't know until you inquire. Lowes or HD will sell the 42lb weights but they are special order. They used to be cheaper than the dealer but am not sure if they still are anymore. Lowes or HD will ship to their store for free so...something to think about.

Lastly you should consider getting your rear tires filled as well to help with stability. These SCUTS are pretty tippy on rough terrain. :cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just my input I had a ballast box, I hated it because it sat too low to the ground granted its great for weight and using it to carry tools but that's about it. Also for me added length to the back as well was not good as the first two times I whacked some things forgetting it was back there. I sold it and went with the double heavy hitch, I had 6 suitcase weights already and picked another 6 up on cl for a great price. Look online they are out there I paid 40 per weight.

For the front I don't use anything as the fel adds length, I found that with the king kutter 48" tiller I don't need anything upfront but might put 5 suitcase weights up front this planting season and see if I notice a difference. I used the tiller in my garden and also on sod and had no issues. If you want more than four suitcase weights up front you will have to add an attachment to the front I'd recommend the heavy hitch setup for the front as it looks to be easy on and off.

·
Registered
527 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a 1025R and I am looking at weights. The reason is that I don't till often. Maybe 2 times a tear. So I do not want to have that huge thing on all the time. With the quick hitch you easily put on the weights and then take them off. I do not want the FEL or tiller on when mowing the lawn either.

So I will be getting the weights next week maybe.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I can vouch for the ease and convenience of the Heavy Hitch. I have it with 8 42lb weights. Very easy on/off especially if you use the dolly Greg sells. It is also shorter than a ballast box. The only down side is it is more expensive solution if you do not have the suitcase weights. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I went with the Heavy Hitch 3-point receiver/weight hanger for the same reasons the others noted. Mainly, I know it would only be a matter of time before I backed a ballast box into something or swung it into something when cornering. So in the long run, I'll be money ahead without the damage. The Heavy Hitch unit is a well thought out design that minimize rear projection while maximizing weight potential.

Heavy Hitch had the 42 pound suitcase weights for $49 each and can ship via Fastenal, which is typically less than half of more than truck freight. At the time, my dealer was a having a parts promo so the JD 42 pound weights were $53 and some change, with the tax. I purchased 10, so still added up to a chunk of doe. However, I don't believe I could have got them shipped, even via Fastenal, for $40. I also purchased the front weight bracket from Heavy Hitch as I have a tiller and likely will not want the FEL on when utilizing it for the same reasoning noted above.

DSCF1728.JPG

·
Registered
527 Posts
FYI, the best deal I found for JD suitcase weights was from the Home Depot and got free shipping to the house.:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts

In a word to both questions...yes. That being said you will get to a point where you will hate this setup and keep kicking yourself for thinking this way. Do yourself a favor and visit HeavyHitch and get the right brackets for the front and back. Get some suitcase weights where ever you can find them the cheapest, at least 8 if not 16. That should get you started and will make you a lot happier but poorer. Later on you will be glad you did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts