Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am new here. If this is not the place for this thread, please feel free to move it wherever and please let me know where it is. I have a JD 2640 farm tractor and I have been looking for suitcase weights for the front of it. They seem hard to find used and expensive to buy if found. New ones are high too. I have the bracket on the tractor for the weights but no weights on the tractor.

We vegetable farm here in west central PA and on side hills pulling a raised bed p0lastic mulcher we get some side drift that is better if we add weight to the front. Couldn't find weights last year either and we added a bracket and a 55 gallon drum full of water. It helped but, the drum gets in the way sometimes. Would really like to get some or build some suitcase weights. I did find some down in Georgia at Everything attachment dot com but, they are bout a buck a pound and that is a long way to go for them.

Thus my question: Would anyone have the dimensions of the John Deere suitcase weights with the part number R51680? These are the 100 pound weights that were used on this tractor. I don't know if they would really be any cheaper to buy steel and machine out all that is needed or not but, I thought at this point it may be at least worth looking into. I do have a small machine shop here on the farm and can do the cutting myself, although that is not my first choice. If anyone can help, I would truly be grateful. I really don't want to have that barrel ratchet strapped to the front of this machine this summer. How am I supposed to look like Elvis with this big blue barrel on my tractor?:laugh:

·
Administrator
17,976 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
You might be better off finding another local farmer to borrow a weight to template.

1" plate is around $0.43 per pound picked up at Alro in OH. The problem is you will have as much in gas and grinding wheels as the plate and a lot of time burning those out...

I bought wheel weights off of this fellow in Tx, shipping was more than reasonable give him a call.

http://http://lonestarweights.com/product-details/?CID=2&PID=82

His castings were a very close match to factory.

Those old generation suitcase weights are sometimes hard to come by, but sales and auctions would be the next best option, but as I read your already on the hunt...

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
It is a one time purchase so just buy them. Will be cheaper than hauling the tractor out of the ditch.
Plus if you get a different tractor you can always keep them. (I did) I'd imagine that is why they are so hard to find used.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dieselrider,

I made some weights from 10" rounds that I bought cheap from a steel supplier. Added a hanging bracket, handle and feet to each one of them. Each ones weighs about 93 lbs.

P1050705.JPG P1050710.JPG P1050716.JPG

I found it MUCH CHEAPER to go this route than to buy new/used suitcase weights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts