Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want the JD suitcase weights for the front of the tractor,,is there a JD mounting rack or a heavy hitch substitute?
all these doggone attachments have my head spinng,,but I want to buy them with my initial purchase next week
Thanks in advance

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great thanks,,so I get the weights from my dealer then get this bracket,,,
why not get a JD bracket?? is there any difference in construction? or just price?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I prefer the HH product but I can't really articulate the reason. I already had the Front Attaching Support so between that and the Tractor Time with Time coupon code (TTWT) it was a good deal. I also live close enough to pick up the items so that helped too.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
There's another option from Heavy Hitch that offers more flexibility. HH sells a front receiver for the 1 Series and an 8-weight rack that plugs into it. This makes it very easy to remove the rack when you don't need it. You can use the weight rack on a 2" receiver on the back of the tractor to add ballast there when you need it. You can also use the front receiver to move a trailer, install a winch, etc.

Both products are on this page.

For a pictorial, please see the thread Flexible Ballast.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
why not get a JD bracket?? is there any difference in construction? or just price?
When I was going to purchase more suitcase weights, I noticed that Lowe's carried the identical weight for about $15 per weight less than the dealer. I mentioned this to the dealer and they matched Lowe's price. This might save you some bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
The front bracket holds 5 weights without you having to buy anything. Though if you have that little quick hitch lip you'll have to remove it. This is how you put them on without messing up the grill:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I have the jd bracket that holds 7 weights. It attaches wit 2 bolts. Needs to be removed to install front hitch or loader.

The heavy hitch is probably the better option as if I’m not mistaken it holds 8 weights and goes on and off without tools. I’ve been thinking of upgrading to the heavy hitch myself.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The above YouTube video is exactly what I do. It even works with the loader if you forget them or need even more front weight.

I am a huge heavy hitch fan, but I was worried the heavy hitch front weight bracket would interfere with the bucket, so I’m sticking with the stock setup. Just did some lawn aerating and garden tilling with 5 weights up front I believe and worked great, left the loader arms just took off the bucket.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,283 Posts
The above YouTube video is exactly what I do. It even works with the loader if you forget them or need even more front weight.

I am a huge heavy hitch fan, but I was worried the heavy hitch front weight bracket would interfere with the bucket, so I’m sticking with the stock setup. Just did some lawn aerating and garden tilling with 5 weights up front I believe and worked great, left the loader arms just took off the bucket.

Jason

Doing it this way with the FEL you can't put 5 on.

·
Premium Member
13,865 Posts

Jason

Keep in mind you can only put on three with the FEL attached
But I’ll have to investigate things, earlier someone said you still have to take the JD bolt on bracket off for FEL operation. I think I remember my dealer telling me that was one advantage over the HH that I have.

·
Premium Member
13,865 Posts

Been using up to 5 weights for going on 6 months now off and on when I need front ballast.

Jason

Huh, I think I tried that and the two outside weights rested on the FEL kickstand.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Yes, there is a distinct difference. If you have any front 'quick-attach' implements like the 54 blade, broom, or snow-blower, you will have an extra bracket on the front of your tractor.
In that case, you will not be able to use the Deere bracket, nor will you be able to directly attach the weights to the frame (as the photos in previous posts have shown).
The HH bracket is designed to use that Quick Hitch mounting approach so that it keeps everything compatible.
As far as I know, HH is the only place to get such a bracket.

If you are NOT using the front quick-attach implements, then you can use the frame directly (for up to 5), or you can use the Deere bracket.

I hope this makes sense, and is helpful.

Tim

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Keep in mind you can only put on three with the FEL attached
But I’ll have to investigate things, earlier someone said you still have to take the JD bolt on bracket off for FEL operation. I think I remember my dealer telling me that was one advantage over the HH that I have.

I have the John Deere weight bracket on the front of my 1025. Bought in 2014. The bracket can stay on with the loader.

·
Premium Member
13,865 Posts
I have the John Deere weight bracket on the front of my 1025. Bought in 2014. The bracket can stay on with the loader.

That’s what I thought, thanks cheesetrain

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,283 Posts

Been using up to 5 weights for going on 6 months now off and on when I need front ballast.

Jason

Huh, I think I tried that and the two outside weights rested on the FEL kickstand.

Jason, I tried it like you show in your pic and I couldn't do it on mine. Now you have me wondering why?? I'll have to try it again and see what is going on. Maybe I didn't do something right. When I did it I ended up like PJR832. :unknown:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The front bracket holds 5 weights without you having to buy anything. Though if you have that little quick hitch lip you'll have to remove it. This is how you put them on without messing up the grill:

I cant seem to get that link to work,,,,:unknown:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts