Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1025R and I’m really enjoying it as a matter fact I’ve put over 150 hours on it in the last 60 days. since it’s the mowing season now and I have some pretty steep hills here in the Ozark's am concerned about the stability when using my 60 inch deck. My back tires are filled with juice, and I just ordered plastic wheel weights for the back tires, and 1 1/2 inch spacers. Does anyone have experience with suitcase weights on the front of the tractor when mowing and does this really add to stability. Thank you guys

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
I only use front weight with a tiller or so without the loader.

rob

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
Weight on the frame usually increases the traction of the machine and also will help with stability on inclines. Note I say it should help, as you have many other issues in play such as the tires, surface, etc.

It takes a special front weight bracket to hold the suitcase weights. I bought the bracket when I purchased my tractor and I have never installed the front weight bracket as I don't have a MMM on my 1025r. The bracket just hangs on the end of the front frame and will hold I believe 6 suitcase weights, 4 in the center and one on each end of the bracket.

This is the weight bracket I have. It bolts to the end of the frame and the rod secures the suitcase weights so they can't bounce or fall off. The part number and price are shown. Make sure to check the part number for your model year tractor to make sure it fits your machine as well, which it should.

Screenshot_2021-04-16 John Deere Parts Catalog.png

·
Registered
John Deere 1026R
115 Posts
I have 5 on mine. Pulled them off my 2305. I never took them off once I added them. Even if just mowing.

They will help with traction.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The front weight bracket from John Deere will hold 7 weights. Mine can stay on with the loader and not interfere. That being said I bought the Heavy Hitch front weight bracket since it holds 8 weights, fits the 70 pound weights better and sits higher off the ground.

The only time I use front weights when mowing is when I have the bagger on the back. Otherwise the weights are used when the tiller, core aerator, drop spreader or water tank are on the back.

I believe you can hang four or five weights off the front frame without the weight bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I do the same as @cheesetrain - When the rear MCS is on and plan to also use it for the core aerator. Currently two 70s & two 42s. Also use the Heavy Hitch mount. Mounted uneven because the powerpak on the MCS is heavy on the other side.

Reactions: Huzrjim

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe you can hang four or five weights off the front frame without the weight bracket.
You can, but the ones in the middle are likely to scuff the bottom of the hood since there is little to no clearance. I'll see if I can post a pic later today.

·
Premium Member
12,125 Posts
The bracket is designed to hold the weights where you put them with the retaining rod, etc.

You have to be careful with the suitcase weights moving around when they are just hung in different places on the machine or any implement as they can and will affect the machine stability and movement. I have had the suitcase weights I hang on the frame of the Frontier core aerator flip slightly because the notch in the suitcase weight is wider than frame member they hang on, which permits the weights to move some. When the implement is in the air, such as at the end of aerator pass when turning around, if the weight shifts even slightly, the entire implement will move and even swing the 3ph arms from one side to the other.

You need to be really careful when on any slopes or hills and using the weights for added traction. Secure the weights in the best manner so they don't and can't move, as the consequences can be severe............

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
I see no need for weights unless you have an attachment on machine...weight on front can have a sliding effect on slopes...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I use the factory bracket and up to 5ea. weights. Load them from the ends towards the middle and they don't scuff the front of the grill.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
sliding effect is the weight out front shifting down hill on a slope...similar to having the front end loader. Really comes into play on wet/slick grass or leaves. But it depends on angle of approach and hill, there is just no actual need for extra weight on front when running the belly mower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts