Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been beat to death, and this is too good to be true....

But where are y'all buying suitcase weights? Doesn't seem to be a ton on the used market around Minneapolis/St Paul. Is HD or Lowes the cheapest option?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Maybe that price is per pound. :laugh:

·
Registered
112 Posts
My dealership was the cheapest I found. Used prices are about .97 cent on the dollar of new so I bought new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I used Sloan Express. It was the cheapest for me at the time and I live 30 miles from the closest dealer facility, went and picked them up. You can check their shipping charges to see if it would be a decent deal for you.

Sloan Express Link

Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 10.48.14 AM.png

·
Premium Member
247 Posts

But where are y'all buying suitcase weights? Doesn't seem to be a ton on the used market around Minneapolis/St Paul. Is HD or Lowes the cheapest option?
You might be close enough to Heavy Hitch to pick up at their plant. Heavyhitch.com $49 each. Otherwise, go to your dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Oh dang, Winona. Yep, that's worth the drive! Anyone know if they ever run any sales or anything?

Thanks!
Do you have to have JD branded ones?

Jim is a little closer to you in Hastings if you want to go there.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Do you have to have JD branded ones?

Jim is a little closer to you in Hastings if you want to go there.
Not JD branded. As for sales, check out Tractor Time With Tim on YouTube, search for heavy hitch on his page and I’m sure he can set you up with a one time use discount code.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Not JD branded. As for sales, check out Tractor Time With Tim on YouTube, search for heavy hitch on his page and I’m sure he can set you up with a one time use discount code.

Either are the ones from HH.

https://heavyhitch.com/product/suitcase-weights/

I am just saying that if he lives in the Twin Cities as he appears to be, he can drive to Winona to HH and save on shipping or go to Jim in Hastings which is about 1/2 the distance for the same thing. Heck depending on where he is in Twin Cities, Jim is probably even closer. I am about 3 miles from Jim's shop right now.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Either are the ones from HH.

https://heavyhitch.com/product/suitcase-weights/

I am just saying that if he lives in the Twin Cities as he appears to be, he can drive to Winona to HH and save on shipping or go to Jim in Hastings which is about 1/2 the distance for the same thing. Heck depending on where he is in Twin Cities, Jim is probably even closer. I am about 3 miles from Jim's shop right now.
I was actually commenting on the HH ones. The link didn't work on my phone, but now I'm at my desktop, I see that that is a good option as well (might even be the same thing?). It is only weight, no need to get it branded.

I lucked out on a free shipping, plus discount offer from an online retailer and bought six, I won't mention the name as the deal was discontinued and was probably in error. I bought two from Home Depot for a good price, and four from my dealer. All are JD branded, but again, it doesn't matter. I finally decided that unless I was passing through Minnesota, it was best just to go to the dealer and pick them up from stock. I have twelve now, I may add four more someday.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts

Obviously a mistake. From reading the reviews, none are for this item, all are for small replacement parts for small power tools, hence the free shipping. I tried contacting the seller about the item and it changed the item to a pull cord handle, so they apparently have an indexing problem in their database.

They seem like a serious outfit, but even serious outfits make mistakes and I wouldn't take advantage of them if they did.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I was actually commenting on the HH ones. The link didn't work on my phone, but now I'm at my desktop, I see that that is a good option as well (might even be the same thing?). It is only weight, no need to get it branded.

I lucked out on a free shipping, plus discount offer from an online retailer and bought six, I won't mention the name as the deal was discontinued and was probably in error. I bought two from Home Depot for a good price, and four from my dealer. All are JD branded, but again, it doesn't matter. I finally decided that unless I was passing through Minnesota, it was best just to go to the dealer and pick them up from stock. I have twelve now, I may add four more someday.
I agree, they are likely the same thing (Jim's and HH). Unless he wants to do a road trip there is a closer source for them if he is fine with not having the logos. Weight is weight as you said. Some people prefer them all to match. Mine all have the logo but they came with my Z950R from the dealer as they were part of the MCS package. If I had to buy them I wouldn't have had an issue getting the generic ones. The odd thing is that the OEMs have that molded image of the JD logo where the generics are just flat. The dimensions appear to be basically the same but the OEMs are 1# heavier some how. Heavier steel vs cheap steel from China?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Heavier steel vs cheap steel from China?
I assume they are grey cast iron, density range is .251 to .265 lbs/in3 which is a 5% variation. I can't seem to see any correlation between cost and density, but one may have chosen a different grade than the other for reasons known only to them. However, if you study them, the part outline is slightly different.

We have both overthought what are just dumb weights (but that is what I do - overthink things).

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I purchased mine from my dealer, Midwest Machinery. If I remember correctly, I paid $51.00 ea. Even from our other home, I couldn't go pick them up to save $2.00 each, even when I was purchasing 16 of them.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I picked them up directly from Heavy Hitch in Winona, seems like it was 2 for $100.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
At one time Home depot was the cheapest with free delivery. I got 2 for $54 now they're $65.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
I just noticed the John Deere OEM 42 lb weight on Amazon is $64.92 with free shipping. Depending on how far you are from your dealer, this may be a great deal.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Jim's looks like an even better option.
I would give him a call before making the trip to double check inventory and hours. He runs his shop out of his farm though.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I bought mine from Home Depot, can't remember what I paid but I seem to recall about $1.00 per pound. Free delivery to my door, can't beat that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts