Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work and need to know the dimension of the front tongue of the standard JD 42 lb suitcase weights as indicated in the pic (editing pics on a phone stinks).

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It's 4 1/2 ins long by 2 ins wide.

Reactions: MarkEagleUSA

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Reactions: Mackford13

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will it slip onto a 1/2" thick flat bar? Or would 3/8" be better?

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yep not a problem. It looks like it should fit on a half in bar. I measured the gap & it's a smidging over 1/2 in

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Kyle! I must've missed that in my search results... :cautious:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Mark, I've read other posts about 42# weights not fitting on 1/2" plate. I think (??) the older weights with an Rxxxx parts number will fit, but those with a BMXXXX don't!

I DO know that the front weight bracket for a 318 uses a 7/16" plate to mount the weights. Bob

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mark, I've read other posts about 42# weights not fitting on 1/2" plate. I think (??) the older weights with an Rxxxx parts number will fit, but those with a BMXXXX don't!

I DO know that the front weight bracket for a 318 uses a 7/16" plate to mount the weights. Bob
Or 1/2” after a grinder shine! 😎

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
How much are the Eagle-Hitch's gonna sell for? I might want one :cool:

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much are the Eagle-Hitch's gonna sell for? I might want one :cool:
Actually going to modify a Titan weight hitch to hold 12 weights. :oops:

Need to "borrow" some steel from work... ;)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Sounds interesting. 🤔 Can't wait to see that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
While we’re on the subject of the suitcase weights, is there a lower cost alternative to the JD 40 lb ones. They’re stinking expensive. But then maybe that’s just the cost of the material being high? BTW, I really love these little suitcase weights, just wish I could find some more at a decent price.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
While we’re on the subject of the suitcase weights, is there a lower cost alternative to the JD 40 lb ones. They’re stinking expensive. But then maybe that’s just the cost of the material being high?
You can get heavy hitch weights. Pickup yourself for free or shipped by fastenal for a fee or shipped directly to home but probably cost more than deere weights after shipping.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I just got two 43 lb JD weights last week off of Amazon, about $140 total, that was the best price I could find. They were delivered to my front door.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You can get heavy hitch weights. Pickup yourself for free or shipped by fastenal for a fee or shipped directly to home but probably cost more than deere weights after shipping.
I just bought a heavy hitch setup with 16 of their weights. Good quality and reasonable price. Fastenal shipping was excellent, and WAY less costly then UPS to my door.

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
Actually going to modify a Titan weight hitch to hold 12 weights. :oops:

Need to "borrow" some steel from work... ;)
This sounds like a true "Government Project", being done at work, during work hours, with their machinery and some "borrowed steel".

Hmmmmmm.....

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This sounds like a true "Government Project", being done at work, during work hours, with their machinery and some "borrowed steel".

Hmmmmmm.....
Well, being honest here, nothing happened today. Tomorrow may be a different story. ;)

Yes, I will "borrow" the steel I need, but all other fabrication will occur at home. The fab guys get a bit testy when you help yourself to the equipment in the shop. I can ask them to do some stuff, but it's always a song and a dance. Of course, on any given day one of them is doing their own government work. One guy built a complete hydraulic dump cart in the shop a couple of years ago (he did buy the steel and parts).

I don't think my 36" piece of steel will be missed. As a matter of fact, there's probably a bunch of scrap lengths I can choose from.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I just got two 43 lb JD weights last week off of Amazon, about $140 total, that was the best price I could find. They were delivered to my front door.
Greenfarmparts.com with a popular discount code gets you those 42s at 60.99/free shipping. 😁

1 - 20 of 25 Posts