Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a big football fan, so excuse my ignorance :hide:

What were the Refs wearing on their wrists/hands? Looked like something so they would not drop the ball?

What is the patch some players had in their right shoulder (both teams)? Square with a "C" in it and a row of 4 stars below the C.

No bets, but I did pick the winner :dunno: :bigbeer:

·
Registered
12,288 Posts
Zebrafive; forgot the super bowel was even on, cause we had company. finally turned it on during halftime. I'm not a sport's fan, so I can't answer ur questions for u. I did see the logo's for the 50th anniversary, didn't see anything else.

·
Registered
11,884 Posts

What were the Refs wearing on their wrists/hands? Looked like something so they would not drop the ball?

What is the patch some players had in their right shoulder (both teams)? Square with a "C" in it and a row of 4 stars below the C.

No bets, but I did pick the winner :dunno: :bigbeer:
Zebrafive:

1. I think what you saw on the official's hands are the elastic strap that hold their whistle. It doesn't matter if the ref drops the ball.
2. The "C" designates the Team Captains. Don't know about the four stars.

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zebrafive:

1. I think what you saw on the official's hands are the elastic strap that hold their whistle. It doesn't matter if the ref drops the ball.
2. The "C" designates the Team Captains. Don't know about the four stars.
Thanks!

I would think they would use a neck lanyard for a whistle. Some Refs had the strap on both wrists, others only one. I thought all they did was toss flags, not "whistle" :hide::hide:

It was both quarterbacks with the "C" patch , plus one other Bronco had one. Maybe former Captain?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,406 Posts
Per... NFL captains: 'C' patch comes with varied roles, responsibilities - NFL.com

In 2007, the NFL instituted a program that allowed each team to designate up to six captains per season. Chosen players are honored with a "C" on their jerseys, with the stars filled in for each year of service as a captain.

Consecutive captain years. So If you have three gold stars, you've been captain for three consecutive seasons, four stars for four and the whole patch becomes gold if you've been a captain for five or more consecutive years.

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the patch I saw! I think SC's qtrbk had three gold stars and Denver's had 4

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
Per... NFL captains: 'C' patch comes with varied roles, responsibilities - NFL.com

In 2007, the NFL instituted a program that allowed each team to designate up to six captains per season. Chosen players are honored with a "C" on their jerseys, with the stars filled in for each year of service as a captain.

Consecutive captain years. So If you have three gold stars, you've been captain for three consecutive seasons, four stars for four and the whole patch becomes gold if you've been a captain for five or more consecutive years.
Is Gizmo2 the GTT handle for Roger Goodell? :laugh:

·
Registered
5,937 Posts

What is the patch some players had in their right shoulder (both teams)? Square with a "C" in it and a row of 4 stars below the C. No bets, but I did pick the winner :dunno: :bigbeer:
I always thought it stood for convict. Most of the players aspire to look like and be one with all the dreads and tattoos and such? Just sayin!:dunno::laugh:

·
Registered
592 Posts
For the elastic strap on their hands, it is to track the current down. Umpires have two, where the other tracks where the ball is placed (left, right middle) on another hand.

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
For the elastic strap on their hands, it is to track the current down. Umpires have two, where the other tracks where the ball is placed (left, right middle) on another hand.
I'll be damned. I thought it was for the whistle. They don't carry the whistle on a lanyard anymore, do they?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Speaking of whistles... I'm fascinated by the "New Sports Whistle" phenomenon. I'm not a stick and ball guy and there isn't any whistling during Wifey's Yankee games, but I've noticed changing channels that these newfangled official whistles have an entirely new sound than I grew up being whistled with. The old sound was a much slower frequency. The new space age ones sound as if they are made by a tone generator not an old pea in a plastic whistle. Just what is inside these things that can move that fast with the same human breath?

That concludes my total interest in sports that must be whistled in during performance. Much thanks to the NASCAR, USAC, etc., alternatives..:laugh:

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
Sure do, as far as I can tell. Don't take my word as gospel though. I'm no football expert.
Me either. Now I have to check this out. If I find anything I'll post back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts