Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Swagelock flareless fittings? Do they hold up well and are they actually reuseable?

Thanks!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Years back...70's & 80's... the Company I worked for used them a lot. They used the stainless steel version, not sure if Swagelock makes fittings from other materials, and are an excellent fitting. Installation is easy, just cut tubing to length, debur, slip nut, backup ring & ferrule on tubing, install into fitting and tighten. They can be loosened and re-tightened many times...can't give an exact number!

The only con I can think of is price...they're a little pricey! You may want to look into Eaton Weatherhead, Parker, or others for prices.These can be obtained with the "bite type" fittings also. They're ALL good, just a matter of $$$. Bob

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
I would contact swageloc directly. They have a lot of fittings that aren’t listed in catalogs. Both my previous employers used them in every conceivable way, and I know of another company that uses some for 4500 psi liquid pressures at about 500 degrees F.

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Swagelok makes a darn good fitting. I work in the oil and gas industry and work with several different refineries. Swagelok is the fitting manufacture of choice. Typically we use 316SS fittings and they are used in services from water to propane, gas oils, molten sulfur and asphalt. The fittings are re-usable and have held up in the toughest services for years. I would think they would be more than acceptable for hydraulic connections. I've used them for several personal projects, and while they aren't cheap, they work very well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, they are good stuff. I also work in a gas process facility and we use Swagelok exclusively, pretty much an industry standard. We use 316 SS and have hundreds, maybe thousands of them in service from 5000 psi ammonia all the way down to 100 psi air supply for instrumentation. I've used them along with stainless tubing for hydraulic and oils, gasses, steam, water, air and high pressure ammonia. I've also seen them in brass but we don't keep any as they would be incompatible with ammonia.

They are reusable as in you can take the joint apart and put it back together. You could for instance take a coupler apart and connect the tubing to any other swagelok fitting like a Tee, valve or adapter. If you need to reconfigure the line you'd need to cut the line to get the nut off and use a new ferrule assembly to put the fitting onto a new tube. They are similar to most other compression type fittings, they compress the ferrule permanently onto the pipe.

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
No cons for Swagelok! As posted, they are good stuff!(y) Where I worked I used them for 25 years!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts