Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1999 JD GT235 w/54" deck; 1999 JD 4100HST w/410 loader; 2014 Grasshopper 930D w/72" deck
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So... first I tried upgrading existing OEM flasher bulbs to LED. They were brighter but not that much... and still not visible in all directions. I want to be EASILY seen from a distance when mowing the roads along my property at night or in low light conditions... and when plowing snow in the winter.

I wanted one of those magnetic mount on/off complete emergency-type units, but the added height meant hitting the top of the door in both my garage & barn. :-(

So I went back to the drawing board and decided to install a pair of super bright strobe lights that forklifts use. ($15/ea on Amazon.) Then, rather than add more junk, I yanked the stock rectangular OEM flasher units and am going to replace them with these strobes. I picked up a pair of 15A in-line blade fuses as well, just in case, although I think the original flashers probably already have a dedicated fuse in the main fuseblock. (Better safe than sorry.)

Since I didn't have the necessary scrap steel or aluminum scraps needed for mounting, I went to my local metal supply place and bought 3"x3" angle iron, cut into a couple of 4" lengths, for mounts. I will visit our in-house fab shop to cut & shape them to fit while I'm at work tomorrow. A couple coats of rubberized black bedliner afterwards will protect them and help to match the black ROPS bar.

More to follow...

·
Registered
1999 JD GT235 w/54" deck; 1999 JD 4100HST w/410 loader; 2014 Grasshopper 930D w/72" deck
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alrighty... got mounts fabbed out of 3x3 angle tiron. Trimmed 'em down a bit to present less of a snag hazard. Just need to drill out bolt mounting holes and shoot w/ couple coats of black bedliner.

While that's underway... anyone happen to know where abouts the flasher circuit is located along that length of the wire harness for it?? If I can't track it down and remove it I'll have to use the rear work light plugs. The flasher circuit won't let the stobes complete their full pattern. Annoying... grrrr.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So... I modified the 3"x3" angle iron mounts by slicing off part of the bottom halves to present a thinner silhouette to help eliminate the chances of me snagging my arm or something else on an exposed corner once they're mounted. Then I used some leftover bedliner spray I had to shoot 'em a nice satin black.

Rather than rip the tractor apart to access and bypass the flasher relay, I just removed the both runs of wiring from the flasher boxes and wired the strobes into the unused wiring for rear mounted work lights.

Then I drilled the mounting holes to attach to my ROPS, and holes to bolt on the strobes AND a small hole to fish the wires through each piece.

To finish things off, I used some M10 eye nuts I bought off Amazon instead of regular nuts so that I now have extra places to hook or clip stuff. I bolted the strobe mounts into the uppermost hole from the old flashers. This gave me the bottom mounting holes as 'freebies. A couple of 3.5" lengths of 3/8" threaded rod and 4 of those eyenuts and even more places to put stuff I can take with me into the field now.

The strobes are much brighter than the old stock flashers, and also better than the aftermarket LED bulbs I tried in order to keep using the OEM flasher boxes. The strobes were on sale thru Amazon for only $12/ea., so it wasn't even that costly of a mod! I had all of the misc stuff needed to complete the project except for the 3"x3" angle iron and I got both of those cut to length for just $10.

The 4100 is much more visible now when on the road in low light now, and these strobes should make a WORLD of difference when plowing snow.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I don't think I would have drilled the ROPS. I think I would have sandwiched a plates inside and outside the ROPS with bolts connecting them.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Very nice job. I like it, looks factory. 👍 Nice idea with the eyelits on the inside too. I kinda wanna do that now too. Problem is the wife would probably get annoyed with me driving around the yard all night with just the strobes on & playing 🤭

Reactions: PlumberHome

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I would have drilled the ROPS. I think I would have sandwiched a plates inside and outside the ROPS with bolts connecting them.
I didn't drill them. I removed the OEM flasher light boxes and used the existing pre-drilled holes leftover after their removal.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I didn't drill them. I removed the OEM flasher light boxes and used the existing pre-drilled holes leftover after their removal.
OK, I ASSUMED you drilled the ROPS :eek: so my BAD! Thanks for clarifying (y)

Reactions: Mackford13

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Looks good. Nice job and thanks for the excellent details.

Reactions: Mackford13

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I ASSUMED you drilled the ROPS :eek: so my BAD! Thanks for clarifying (y)
S'ok. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid. ;-)

Disassembling the OEM flasher boxes left me wondering why Deere chose to use such large holes/bolts (3/8") when smaller diameter (1/4") would've more than sufficed to mount those lightweight plastic boxes? In fact, why didn't/don't they just use clamps and skip drilling altogether, in order to maximize ROPS strength & integrity??

I intend to make a DIY roof and later on will mount rearward-facing work lights, but I will affix these items using either the 2 pre-drilled holes along the top crossbar of the ROPS - or else a pair of U-clamps (or both).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts