Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a family reunion in the community of Little Mound, in East Texas. Beautiful country, great people and the food is wonderful too! Had lunch in Pittsburgh Texas at the Pittsburgh Hot link restaurant. They are not hot links in the strictest sense, because they are "hot" only with the hot sauce. They are wonderful; bought two cases home and they are in my freezer. I simply love them. They should be cooked on the grill slowly, or on the smoker. There are even small roadside stands and restaurants that sell them ready to eat.

At the reunion, we were in for a treat...fried channel catfish, fresh caught from the Mississippi river. Marvelous! Nothing like the farm raised stuff. But now for the good stuff. One of the cousins brought some Sweet 'Tater Pie. Not a big pie eater...except for custard and maybe hot apple...but this was extraordinary. Nothing like pumpkin, although it looks like pumpkin. Upshur county is a big producer of sweet potatoes..."Yams"...they call them; Gilmer is home of the "Yamboree" every year about this time.

In any case, we ended up with the promise of the recipe, and as soon as I get it I will post it. Incidentally, it won first place at the Yamboree Pie Baking Contest last year. Can't wait for Sharn Jean to bake a couple. Tried to buy some local yams at the roadside stands, but unfortunately it was Sunday and everything except Walmart was closed. :laugh:

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
glad u had a good time-along with the eats too.:eating::fed::laugh:

i know that sweet taters are very good for a person-health wise-but i usually only eat them thru out the wintertime here. and then i want them to be covered over in maple syrup:hide:

now i would of loved to have tasted the catfish for sure. bet it was good-huh.:munch:

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet Potato (Yam) pie recipe

OK. Here's the recipe. Now mind you, we haven't made the pie yet, but this is the recipe the award winning cook gave us. I'm confident enough in her to post it even before we make it in our own kitchen. ATTENTION COOK BOOK!

YAM PIE

2 cups of cooked mashed yams (they call them yams in East Texas). Best to bake them wrapped in aluminum foil.
1 cup sugar
2 beaten eggs
1/4 cup of melted butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup of evaporated milk

Mix all ingredients well and pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

FOUR PIE CRUSTS

1 egg
1 Tbsp. vinegar
3 cups flour
1 and 1/3 cup shortening
5 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder

Mix flour and shortening well. Add other ingredients; mix well with egg.
Do not roll out; press out by hand into pie pan. Pinch up edges well.

Best served with whipped cream or Cool Whip.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
Added this to the GTT cookbook thread. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts