Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has always grown sweet potatoes,, he had several left from last year,,
they have thrown out sprouts like a regular potato does, about 6 inches long.

i have seen the video of rooting on youtube, but,,,
I was wondering if I could just plant pieces of sweet potato like a regular potato?

If I only had one sweet potato, I guess I could root that,,
but, I have more than a dozen shoots,, I doubt I need more than two good plants,,
if production is anything like what I grew a decade ago,,,

Do you think these sweet potato pieces will grow??

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
sweet potatoes...:painkiller:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not eat them, I only grow them,,,

Any food that needs marshmallows on top to be edible is not for me,,,:flag_of_truce:

The plants are sure pretty in the garden,,
and the potatoes,, they sure make good rimfire targets,,,:rocket:

·
Corndog Hater
11,236 Posts
I do not eat them, I only grow them,,,

Any food that needs marshmallows on top to be edible is not for me,,,:flag_of_truce:

The plants are sure pretty in the garden,,
and the potatoes,, they sure make good rimfire targets,,,:rocket:

Oh, but they don't need marshmallows, they are good all on their own. We (and by we, I mean my wife and me, as our children won't touch them) eat a lot of sweet potatoes.

I tried growing them years ago when the short season (Beauregard, I think) variety was new. They didn't do well for me, but you're much farther south with a longer growing season, so I think they should do ok for you. It seemed to me that I had to plant the whole potato, but that goes back a decade.

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
Sweet potatoes are one of those “Super Foods” that are really good for you. That is unless you cover them in stuff that’s not healthy for you. :lol: We eat them regularly here. :good2:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Sweet potatoes are one of those “Super Foods” that are really good for you. That is unless you cover them in stuff that’s not healthy for you. :lol: We eat them regularly here. :good2:
maybe good for general health, but think about how much mental health counseling costs...:flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife's been talking about trying them this year (although she may be too late). She called it growing slips. She said you put it in a jar of water and it will start to grow a plant and roots. I guess when the root is long enough you twist it off and it starts a new plant.

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
maybe good for general health, but think about how much mental health counseling costs...:flag_of_truce:
You need a lot more than what a potato can help with. :mocking:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
X2

My wife's been talking about trying them this year (although she may be too late). She called it growing slips. She said you put it in a jar of water and it will start to grow a plant and roots. I guess when the root is long enough you twist it off and it starts a new plant.
We....wife, had no luck... http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/land-ownership-landscaping-lawn-care-gardening/92930-gardens-2017-a-14.html#post1855690

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
Lot's of comments but everyone seems to be dodging the question :dunno:
Right or wrong we tried a few years ago, planted just like a regular potato but our growing season is simply not long enough for sweets so we didn't have a good turn out.

And I agree with some others, we eat them regularly too, but store bought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts