Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Battery powered

Votes: 39 60.9%
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the time comes to replace your current gas powered tools (string trimmer, chain saw, etc.) will you stick with gas/2 stroke or switch to battery powered?

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Depends what it's for. I have a battery string trimmer (Ryobi 1+ with the extended battery). It is sufficient for the usual trimming around gardens and and walls and such. But it is absolutely horrible for working a long woven/welded wire fence line. Constantly stalling out and eats through two batteries for a couple hundred feet of fence. For a blower, I wouldn't want anything but gas to move enough air and not keep running out of battery. My chainsaw is gas and I want it that way. In a storm where this is potentially an emergency tool, I can't have batteries dying and needing to be charged.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Funny, I just did this yesterday. I was trying to clear some brush and undergrowth around my yard when my cheap brush cutter head started having bearing issues and my 12 year old husky weed wacker was giving me carb trouble.

Granted I don't think there is a battery powered brush cutter out there so maybe it's not a fair argument in my case. Either way I jumped feet first into a nice new Echo 2620 PAS powerhead with a burshcutter and pole saw attachment. I put about an hour of time on the brush cutter before I ran out of time for the day. I gotta say it was one of those I never knew what I was missing moments with power equipment. It starts super easy and has tons of power. It was an impulse buy of sorts and picked up the biggest power head I could get midday on a Sunday. The salesman said he's never once had someone complain about that unit and if I wanted a bigger Husky unit I'd have to wait 4-6weeks for the order. Super happy with the purchase and it got me ack to work clearing before everything fully leafs out.

I always thought my Husky ld128 was a really solid weed wacker and it always ran good over the years. The Echo blows it out of the water though. To be fair the Echo cost significantly more. I didn't get the string trimmer head for the echo thinking I would just use the husky but the next time I have an is with that husky I think the echo is getting a new attachment.

Anything battery powered for lawn work just got delayed by a good tens years or so.

·
Registered
572 Posts
GAS. About the biggest battery powered tool I'd care to own is my cordless sawzall and even that tool doesn't run all that long on a fresh pack.

Batteries are for drills and such, and golf carts. And Tesla cars, which are also golf carts in my book.

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
We just bought a Stihl RMA510v ,rear drive push mower. So far , it has done a great job, wife using the self-propelled and doing the side yard was able to mow all the front yard and side on one charge. Run time apx 40 mins.

We bought a Stihl battery blower a couple years ago, been happy with the run time . Apx 30-35 mins.
We bought our oldest daughter a Dewalt Battery weedeater, With the larger battery it will still be running and you are ready to sit down and rest.
Youngest brother, has a Makita weedeater, It has a Rev along with 2 speeds, he is very happy with the product.

Yes I'll still use my Toro gas mower, and my Stihl weedeater. Will I buy a battery one, probably when the time to replace the gas one.

Reactions: Akovia and 2032RJD

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
Hard to say, my first thought is gas. By the time I wear them out, batteries will probably be a stronger choice.
Been told by 2 different ,Toro and Stihl dealers, that within 5-10 yrs ,it will be hard to fine a gas powered push mower, trimmer, or blower , made for residential use.

·
Registered
461 Posts
GAS. About the biggest battery powered tool I'd care to own is my cordless sawzall and even that tool doesn't run all that long on a fresh pack.

Batteries are for drills and such, and golf carts. And Tesla cars, which are also golf carts in my book.
Have you used in newer brushless tools and batteries? I have a DeWalt cordless sawzall that is brushless with 20V 5aH battery and use it to demo a dock cutting a mix of pressure treated wood and metal. The single battery outlasted me. I have a cordless weed whacker using the same battery that I use to basically brush hog a trail to the water that is about 300 feet long, it lasts long enough to get that trail done. Much much better than dealing with my old gas weed whacker. Other nice benefit is I can set it down to deal with something else and not have it running constantly or having to deal with hoping the little **** starts up again (bad luck with gas weed whackers).

I was so happy with my weed whacker and sawsall that I got a cordless circular saw, for my use it works great and being able to get it to areas that i am working such as down at the water where the closest power is 400 feet away.

Now the leaf blowers, I do have a cordless one but think of it as a replacement for a broom and not a leaf blower. Really not in the league of a proper backpack leaf blower, but I would not mess with a handheld gas blower though either just not enough power.

·
Premium Member
3,234 Posts
I have Milwaukee M18 Weedwhip, chain saw, blower. and they serve a purpose. I also have two Sthil gas chainsaws, including a Farmboss that was bought in 93.. being a old man I have trouble starting the gas but when I need the power I have to do what I have to do. The M18 chain saw is amazing what it will cut with the 12ah battery that comes with it. We had trees down last summer and we started cutting them up and we cut for three hours before the battery gave out.

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
Your question is about 4 years to late. The only gas powered stuff I have left is the riding mower, log splitter and a chainsaw.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Your question is about 4 years to late. The only gas powered stuff I have left is the riding mower, log splitter and a chainsaw.
As an older feller myself, I resemble that remark. Gas engines are too hard to start. The only manual start gas engine I have left is my pressure washer. I do have a 30 inch Toro push mower that gets used a couple times a year, but it is electric start, which is why I bought it 6 years ago. My chain saw, trimmer and blower are all Milwaukee and they work great. That 12 amp battery is stronger than I am. I also have a 9 amp, two 5 amp and two 4 amp batteries. I still have some DeWalt 18V tools that I use the Milwaukee batteries on, but all new tools will be Milwaukee. The best tool of all is the impact wrench.

Dave

·
Registered
461 Posts
This group isn't going battery powered anytime soon. Batteries are for people trimming a few branches or weed eating a quarter acre. When I weed eat it takes me three hours.
I really feel like people who make this type of comment have not used a modern battery powered tool. Sure gas still has its uses but the newer battery tech is pretty damn impressive. Sure you wont use a battery chainsaw for an 8 hour job. Weeding for an hour yes a battery one will do it, 3 hours probably not.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
This group isn't going battery powered anytime soon. Batteries are for people trimming a few branches or weed eating a quarter acre. When I weed eat it takes me three hours.
If it took me 3 hours to weed eat, I would move.

Dave

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
When the time comes to replace your current gas powered tools (string trimmer, chain saw, etc.) will you stick with gas/2 stroke or switch to battery powered?
It's already happened. My only remaining ICE equipment is my diesel tractor and riding mower. I got rid of my gas push mower altogether and my weed wacker, leaf blower, chainsaw, pole saw and hedge trimmer are all battery powered. There's no looking back. I don't miss the gas tools at all.

·
Registered
4,855 Posts
This subject came up for me just 2 weeks ago. I do like battery powered and would have bought one if it was available. I bought a gas Stihl SH 86c, it is a shredder vac/blower. I bought it for the shredder vac, and will probably not use it as a hand held blower. No one makes a battery powered shredder vac. So it depends ...

I have a Stihl battery blower, it is great for quick clean-ups around the house, but it doesn't compare with my backpack blower for moving leaves in the fall. I also own a few Stihl chanisaws, all gas, but I don't cut as much wood anymore, and would only consider a small electric chainsaw as an "extra" not necessarily a replacement. I can't see a 36 inch bar on a battery chainsaw yet. Refueling back in my woods is a lot easier with a tank of gas mix and bar oil than walking back (up steep hill) to my house to recharge some batteries.

Battery stuff has come a long way, but I'm glad we still have the option for gas.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I bought a battery powered pole saw 2 years ago and I will never go back to a gas model. It will run at least 3 hours (run time) and is safer, quieter and even cuts better than my gas pole saw. Full recharge is only 1 hour and back to full charge. I have 1 extension and can reach 10 ft away to cut high branches, The best thing is about safety, start and stop are instant and when moving from 1 place to another, it is always OFF. No rope pulling to restart and it is quiet operating, doesn't disturb the neighbors. I don't have to worry about stale gas either.

·
Premium Member
12,716 Posts
I have switched to the 58v Echo tools which fit either the gas power head or the 58v power head. Since I already owned the trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer, edger, bed re-definer, small rototiller, brush cutter and probably others I have forgotten, switching to the 58v power head allows me to use either power head with any of the tools. I have purchased the 58v chainsaw as well and its perfect for home owner / occasional use.

I still have all of my 2 stroke stuff and since they are all power heads, I can use them with either the 2 stroke or 58v power head. I find I use the battery power head 99% of the time. I am able to trim up to an hour on the 4ah battery, which is plenty. Its so handy to grab the tool and squeeze the trigger and be trimming or whatever the needed function is.

The only thing I will use that's 2 stroke is my Monster Back Pack Blower. At idle, it does much of the pavement clearing I need, but it can really step it up when you put the throttle into it. Yesterday, I used it to push rocks around the landscape beds and clean out debris. The battery powered blower is good to clean off the mower after use and clean out the garage stalls, etc. but you wouldn't want to have a real tough job which demanded a lot of power for the battery blower as it consumes a lot of the battery to clear debris, etc. It's fine for light work and I use it often to keep my mower cleared of the debris.

The battery powered blower is carried on the Exmark so I can clean it off after each use. It is attached to the .50cal tool box which is mounted via Kenny ROPS mounts.

I have been using the 58v trimmer and hedge trimmer and brush cutter now for 3 years and I rarely use the 2 stroke power head anymore, other than to run the small roto tiller head in the flower gardens in the spring. The battery tools have been outstanding, no failures, the battery life completes the tasks I need them to and I have both 2ah and 4ah batteries and carry a spare in my Kenny Chain box on the IMatch.

Would I switch to the 58v battery powered tools? Yes, because for me, I already owned all of the attachments and they fit both the 2 stroke power head and the 58v power head also, so by simply buying the 58v power head, all of the attachments and tools work in either power head.

Would I buy a new 2 stroke power head if the one I have failed? Very unlikely and I would stick with the battery power head I have and have found to work extremely well. I do plan on using the large 2 stroke back pack blower which is 99% of my 2 stroke Tru fuel now consumed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I recently made the switch from a Sthil 250 gas chainsaw to the same model but 120V A/C (plug in). I use a chain saw several times each year, usually for many hours daily for about a week, then not again for several months. The problem I have with gas equipment is that I do not use it enough. I can drain the fuel after each use and run it dry, but t does not seem to take long and I need service. I am fine with older carbonators, but the newer (seem to be sealed) ones are too much for me (I am an old buy). I thought about battery power, but did not want to invest in multiple batteries which do not have long lives (in terms of years/decades) or be 90% of the way done with a job and out of power.

I have a great portable generator ($100 craigslist find) which is more than I need to run a corded saw. The big orange cord is A REAL PAIN, but I am a big guy and the extra weight/pull is not as bad for me as carrying gas cans. In my opinion, a Stihl A/C 250 has more power than the 250 gas. I have hearing loss and LOVE the quiet saw and also the low maintenance (just bar oil, sharpening, and wipe off with a rag clean up).

Plug in is not for everyone. It is EXPENSIVE, the corded 250 is more than twice the price of a gas 250 and I had a 3-month wait because they are not popular so not stocked locally. I already had (found) the generator. If you need to buy a new one large enough for a chainsaw, more $$..

Why did I go this way? Convenience; I just pick it up and it works (like a battery powered saw, but no need to worry about charging, batteries dying). Fewer motors to maintain (JD diesel chainsaw 959MH is out of my price range LOL). Why $550 Stihl vs. $100 plastic junk...that's easy...reliability and safety (real chain break)...My $100 pole chainsaw is fine because my body is 6' from the chain. In 10 years, I will be able to plug it in and it will work...by then batteries will be dead and probably not replaceable.

Battery technology is the way of the future...I may just be too old? Battery technology keep improving if you are willing to upgrade 2X per decade.

Just my 2 cents!

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
I bought a battery powered pole saw 2 years ago and I will never go back to a gas model. It will run at least 3 hours (run time) and is safer, quieter and even cuts better than my gas pole saw. Full recharge is only 1 hour and back to full charge. I have 1 extension and can reach 10 ft away to cut high branches, The best thing is about safety, start and stop are instant and when moving from 1 place to another, it is always OFF. No rope pulling to restart and it is quiet operating, doesn't disturb the neighbors. I don't have to worry about stale gas either.
That's what I like about the battery chainsaw. When limbing it is always off unless I'm actually cutting.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts