Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got our first storm delivered just when everyone was coming for Thanksgiving dinner. No problem. No reason for panic.

938.jpg Happened to have nothing on the loader, so just pulling up to the forks. Engine is cold (as am I) so taking it slow.

940.jpg Pick up the forks, get off, pop in the pins to lock the frame on the loader, hop back on. (Also cleaned up a couple of things in the area)

943.jpg Cleaned off the snow, drove around out back (slow-and-in-low to let everything get warmed up) to a shed to drop off the forks. (Also found a few more things to organize there)

944.jpg Hang 3 suitcase weights on the front of the tractor frame.

945.jpg Now meander over to another shed where the plow gets stored for the summer.

945-2.jpg Grab the plow adapter, quick check over. Haven't looked at the thing in 6 months.

945-3.jpg Slide it onto the pallet fork frame and pin it in place.

946.jpg With the plow sitting on a roll cart, pull it over to the tractor and snap the Deere hitch onto the adapter plate.

947.jpg Connect up the two hydraulic hoses.

948.jpg Raise up the plow off of the roll cart to check for mistakes made while yawning.

948-2.jpg Give the hydraulics a quick check

949.jpg And I'm off to the races.

Total of about 10 minutes in no particular rush, between 4 storage locations. If all in one place, it would have been half the time. Skip ahead about another 5-10 minutes after scraping up a few odd spots and here's the plow in business.

Job done 20-25 minutes. Head back in to make the gravy.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
That is exactly the way I want the next storm to go for me. Is my order ready for pickup on Monday? :lol:

(just kidding! I can wait until Tuesday... :laugh: )

·
Registered
22,730 Posts
Thanks for posting this Chris! You've answered a bunch of questions I had - saved you a lot of your important time answering my emails.

I know I will have more questions but I'll be able to ask them here. Also JimR and others who have this setup will be able to help me.

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention one other thing. I've seen/heard some opinions about a plow on the loader being "way out in front". I'm sure that is absolutely true when adapting pickup truck plows onto these relatively small tractors. Plus they probably weigh half as much as the tractor, which must be a nightmare.

Using this system, the cutting edge of the 54 Blade is only 9.5" farther out than the cutting edge of the 61" bucket. And, the entire plow/hitch setup is just about light enough to pick up by hand.

With the extension wings on the blade, there is simply nothing better for snow management for the 2000-and-under series machines.

Blowers are no good unless you feed them at least a few inches of snow so you really need the blade for the light storms. But changing them over is no fun when it's cold and wet outside. Just the blade wouldn't be bad with the extension wings added. But then you need to be able to move the built up drifts as the season progresses, which means switching over to the loader. That's quite a lot of work in the cold and wet.

Up to about a 24" storm, you get the best of both worlds and the work gets done in half the time with this system.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Just wanted to add this to the thread for anyone considering the plow adapter:

I got mine today (THANKS CHRIS!) at about 1:15pm. In just over an hour I had the JD Quick Attach + 54" plow setup off the tractor, put the loader back on and gotten the entire setup installed for the first time - including installing a rubber cutting edge on the blade (not part of the kit but I ordered it at the same time).

In fact, by that point I had taken it out into the driveway and tested it on a few snow piles and had everything put back away inside the garage again. 100% done and tested. Everything needed was in the box and the included instructions make the whole thing pretty much a no-brainer. They really couldn't be any clearer and I don't see how the process could be any easier.

Where is the "5 Stars" button around here?

Now I just have to wait for another snow storm to put it to the test...

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
So Jim, you got the extension hose kit right? Any plans on adding the diverter?

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
I did go with the extension hoses. I don't have any current use for a diverter so I just couldn't justify the additional $$ for it at this point. If I ever get crazy and decide I need grapple I'll add one then.

·
Administrator
20,697 Posts
Where is the "5 Stars" button around here?
While you can't rate products per se, you can rate the thread with five stars. Look just above the header for the first post. You'll see a "rate this thread" button.:good2:

·
GTT Vendor
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did go with the extension hoses. I don't have any current use for a diverter so I just couldn't justify the additional $$ for it at this point. If I ever get crazy and decide I need grapple I'll add one then.
Thanks for the mention, Mr Jim. As I've said to many, if there is no plan for other hydraulic attachments up front, the extension hoses are just fine. They are simpler rather than having to coordinate pressing the diverter button with moving the joystick. With the extension hoses, you just move the stick to angle the plow without having to think about it.

I hope you manage to get some pics to share! But if not, I'll understand. Believe me...

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Thanks Chris! Kenny asked about the diverter about 3 hours ago and I've been sitting here wondering if there is something that I didn't consider and maybe I really do have a need for one! He's kinda the hydraulics guru around here and I respect his knowledge of all things hydro so if he asks a question, I start second guessing myself (ok, more so than I usually do!).

Of course, I'm also starting to wonder of all of you vendors are just in cahoots and set this site up just to empty my wallet too! :lol: I get a little paranoid like that!

·
Administrator
17,979 Posts
I promise Jim, no ulterior motives here :) Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,475 Posts
Thanks Chris! Kenny asked about the diverter about 3 hours ago and I've been sitting here wondering if there is something that I didn't consider and maybe I really do have a need for one! He's kinda the hydraulics guru around here and I respect his knowledge of all things hydro so if he asks a question, I start second guessing myself (ok, more so than I usually do!).

Of course, I'm also starting to wonder of all of you vendors are just in cahoots and set this site up just to empty my wallet too! :lol: I get a little paranoid like that!
:lol: I fixed that. I started a savings account for new stuff that comes out that I am forced to buy.:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts