Green Tractor Talk banner

Synthetic Oil in older tractors?

36410 Views 31 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  herbertperform
So I have started a side business of working on and restoring older tractors. I have put up some pictures on here in my gallery of one of them. I am getting a lot of people who want thier oil changed over to synthetic. Is it OK to run synthetic in a 4020 or 3020? Some people say it shrinks the seals, others say it will leak because its so much thinner. Other say its a myth. I would really like a good answer I can give my clients an feel confident that I am telling them the truth?
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Oil is one of those topics where everybody has an opinion. From a purely mechanical standpoint, i see no reason why there would be a difference if the viscosity is the same. I also have a hard time believing that oil companies are using additives which are not compatible with seals commonly found in a engine. I say go for it. I run syn in everything i own.

Don't know if i can refer other sites so mods delete this if i cant but bobistheoilguy is a good site for oils and lubricant discussions.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.