Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started using synthetic oil in my 2016 X350, but I'm reconsidering. I change oil yearly, which amounts to roughly 25 hours of use. The Kawasaki V-Twin engine should easily outlast the K46 transaxle anyway. Does anyone think synthetic makes a difference for my situation? It's not much of a cost difference, but I have a few bottles of regular oil that I don't want to waste.

·
Premium Member
10,699 Posts
IMHO... yes, you are probably wasting money on synthetic oil and would be just as well served with dino oil. I have a X500 and like you I change my engine oil/filter at 25 hrs. For me that amounts to twice per year. I use the standard JD 10W-30 dino oil. I feel that on this small engines, unless you are really pushing it to the limits you are probably better off using dino oil and changing it frequently compared to using synthetic and doing extended oil change intervals.

For comparison, on my diesel compact tractor I use JD 0W-40 synthetic even though I only put about 25 hrs per year on the tractor. I do it mostly for winter cold starting performance. It is one oil that is well suited for the coldest of winters and hottest summers.

With you being in FL you don't have to worry about cold winter starts.

Take a look at the oil chart in your Owner's Manual and use a dino oil with a viscosity that best matches your ambient temperatures. If you operate only in warmer weather you might want to use a single viscosity oil like 30W or 40W.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I use synthetic for cold weather starting. I don’t think you see sub zero temps in Florida very often. I’m somewhat surprised that in a southern state you’d only put 25 hours on a lawnmower. I’m in north Wisconsin, I average 30 hours per year mowing. I still have my snowblower on, don’t plan on mowing till mid May ,maybe not until June.:dunno:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m somewhat surprised that in a southern state you’d only put 25 hours on a lawnmower.
First, thanks for the feedback. I'll go ahead and use conventional oil for annual changes unless my usage increases

Yeah, I know that's not very many mowing hours for an X-series. I can mow my 1/2 acre lot in 30-40 minutes per week (plus trimming, etc.). I skip December & January and start over in mid-to-late February. My lawn slopes and I've also hauled a lot of sand, rocks, and brush. I wanted a strong machine for my attachments (accessories link below), but didn't want a deck larger than 42". I would be nervous with a smaller frame and axle. As folks say here, "buy one size larger than you think you need".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts