Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where this should be but will start here. Anyone driving T-post with a Shaver or other brand post driver? I have some fences that are tree lined and I thought I would try driving some galvanized T-posts as I know there are too many roots for a wood post.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I made my own. Much better as it is heavier than any of the store bought ones. Of course it plays you out pretty quick if you are driveing alot.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made my own. Much better as it is heavier than any of the store bought ones. Of course it plays you out pretty quick if you are driveing alot.
I just saw a video of a guy using a T-post driver with a regular post driver so I guess I had better modify my T-post driver so it will fit in the post pounder.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I just pound them with a hand pounder. Have done 1000's that way; it's good exercise.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pound them with a hand pounder. Have done 1000's that way; it's good exercise.
You are correct but since most of mine will be in the roots and I had my chest split open a little over a year ago, I will let the pounder do the work.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Like Arlen, all the T posts I've put in have all been done by hand. My post driver is one my grandfather had. Great work out for your arms that's for sure.

EDIT: I really need to read the whole post before I respond . I wouldn't want to drive them in by hand if I had to have the OP procedure done so I'm guessing you are looking for something tractor mounted to drive the T posts in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like Arlen, all the T posts I've put in have all been done by hand. My post driver is one my grandfather had. Great work out for your arms that's for sure.

EDIT: I really need to read the whole post before I respond . I wouldn't want to drive them in by hand if I had to have the OP procedure done so I'm guessing you are looking for something tractor mounted to drive the T posts in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a Shaver 10 post driver. I was just wondering if anyone built anything special to drive t-posts with it. Maybe I wasn't clear. From what I found using Google, looks like folks are using a t-post driver on the t-post and driving on that with a tractor mounted post driver.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I have a Shaver 10 post driver. I was just wondering if anyone built anything special to drive t-posts with it. Maybe I wasn't clear. From what I found using Google, looks like folks are using a t-post driver on the t-post and driving on that with a tractor mounted post driver.
You are correct, Shaver Video. Their website shows loading the driver with the T-post, hand driver and then setting it.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
You are correct but since most of mine will be in the roots and I had my chest split open a little over a year ago, I will let the pounder do the work.
Pounding them in by hand should help reseat your ribs and sternum:empathy3:

·
Registered
523 Posts
This may not work for many, but for me the real fast to drive lots of t posts is a big jack hammer with large rod bit adapter I sit on my truck tailgate.Very popular in Australia

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the chest invasion early Sept last year. With all the cardio rehab and other workouts I been doing I'm in better shape now than prior. I will be manually doing some t-posts later this year, put prolly not until June.

I'm not broken, I'm inconvenienced :thumbup1gif:

·
584 Posts
Shane here with Mutton Power. A lot of people don't realize but we are the largest shaver dealer in the US. They make a t post driver that fits in the driver channel. $50 free shipping. I can pm pics if you're interested.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I have been working on my loading chute. I am setting 10 foot posts and most are 11-12 inches in diameter. I use the tractor to set them in the hole but lifting one end to get a chain around it still hurts the chest after a year and a half. Just glad I am still on the right side of the dirt.

Reactions: arlen

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Outfit showed up to do some fence on the last job i was on with one of these. Worked pretty good.

201207101139563.jpg

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shane here with Mutton Power. A lot of people don't realize but we are the largest shaver dealer in the US. They make a t post driver that fits in the driver channel. $50 free shipping. I can pm pics if you're interested.
Yeah, please post a link or a pic. I could not find it on your site or Shavers. Thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Outfit showed up to do some fence on the last job i was on with one of these. Worked pretty good.

View attachment 39577
Yeah, the problem is my place has a very dense blue clay base. Where I plan to use the T-posts there will be a ton of oak roots also.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I use a pipe with a cap over t post and use the loader to push them down If pipe is long t post will not bend
DING DING DING! We have a winner! Use your loader bucket to push them in. If your loader struggles, grab a bucket full of dirt or rock and push with that.

Two guys with a loader tractor can push more steel posts in ten minutes than one guy can with a manual post driver in an hour.

Dad and I used to build between a half mile and a mile of fence every spring for hog lots. Pushed ALL the steel posts with the loader.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I agree with the previous post but with a slightly different twist.

For a while I have been using an unorthodox and un-OSHA-approved method that works for all metal fence posts: Start the post with a hand pounder and once it's in enough to hold itself in place you hop on the tractor and very, very carefully drop the bucket on the top of the post! :lol: It takes a while to learn but it's basically a poor mans pile-driver.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts