Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Discussion Starter #1
A.C. Moore has T-Shirts on sale, 2 for $5.00.
They will not last forever but I usually get a summer out of a few. I am really tough on clothes during the summer when working outside and usually pick up a few every year. Make pretty good rags after you're done wearing them. I'm an easy keeper.:munch:

Registered
A.C. Moore has T-Shirts on sale, 2 for $5.00.
They will not last forever but I usually get a summer out of a few. I am really tough on clothes during the summer when working outside and usually pick up a few every year. Make pretty good rags after you're done wearing them. I'm an easy keeper.:munch:
Do the backs wear out from rubbing on the lawn chair while you supervise?:laugh:

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Discussion Starter #4
:lol:

Registered
Not too bad, they hold up pretty good.
So is what you're saying you can't make shop rags fast enough? We can all send you some T-shirts AND if you're really strapped, some boxers and briefs.:laugh:

Premium Member
No Mexican food!:wink:
Old drawers do not make good shop rags; you guys know that; nor do old sweat socks. In fact, I don't like old T shirts...they're too slick. I much prefer the paper towels (blush).

I probably have 200 car show T shirts that we have accumulated over the last 15 or 20 years; in fact Sharn Jean is making a T shirt quilt from some of them, so I have a 30 gallon garbage bag full of T shirt remnants. Hate to throw them away, but don't use them much, unless maybe I'm painting.

If you make garage sales, be on the lookout for old towels. Sometimes you can buy a wagon load of old towels, really cheap, and that's what I use on the old cars.

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Discussion Starter #9
Old drawers do not make good shop rags; you guys know that; nor do old sweat socks. In fact, I don't like old T shirts...they're too slick. I much prefer the paper towels (blush).

I probably have 200 car show T shirts that we have accumulated over the last 15 or 20 years; in fact Sharn Jean is making a T shirt quilt from some of them, so I have a 30 gallon garbage bag full of T shirt remnants. Hate to throw them away, but don't use them much, unless maybe I'm painting.

If you make garage sales, be on the lookout for old towels. Sometimes you can buy a wagon load of old towels, really cheap, and that's what I use on the old cars.
For rags you really want all cotton, no polyester.

GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
For rags you really want all cotton, no polyester.

Even as a child, nothing was ever thrown out. All of dad's old cotton t-shirts/undershirts were added to the shop rag box. I remember sitting around when the box was full, tearing everything into strips/squares. Used for checking oil and wiping the dipstick, wiping hands, etc., and it was amazing how dirty they would look, before they didn't get most of the grease off of your hands. Only then were they thrown away! They didn't have as much lint on them as paper towels or "shop towels". The first time I used a paper towel to wipe a dipstick, I just knew I was going to have problems from teeny tiny pieces of lint, that my then teenage eyes could notice! Now, I don't think a truck can go down the road, without a roll of shop towels in it! :laugh:

Premium Member
Been know to go to a Laundry that had a Diaper Service that would sell discarded diapers by the pound for cheap! They're a dying breed though. Don't know if they still exist. :laugh:

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Discussion Starter #12
Even as a child, nothing was ever thrown out. All of dad's old cotton t-shirts/undershirts were added to the shop rag box. I remember sitting around when the box was full, tearing everything into strips/squares. Used for checking oil and wiping the dipstick, wiping hands, etc., and it was amazing how dirty they would look, before they didn't get most of the grease off of your hands. Only then were they thrown away! They didn't have as much lint on them as paper towels or "shop towels". The first time I used a paper towel to wipe a dipstick, I just knew I was going to have problems from teeny tiny pieces of lint, that my then teenage eyes could notice! Now, I don't think a truck can go down the road, without a roll of shop towels in it! :laugh:
Just so I know who my friends are. Are you saying I wear mine.:laugh:

Premium Member
Been know to go to a Laundry that had a Diaper Service that would sell discarded diapers by the pound for cheap! They're a dying breed though. Don't know if they still exist. :laugh:
Exactly! Old diapers are the best! I think I still have a few. I bought a package new maybe 15 years ago (all of ours were long gone).

GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
If one can still find the old style cloth diapers, that were 100% soft cotton, those make the best dust rags! They get used for that, BEFORE being retired to the shop!

Registered
For rags you really want all cotton, no polyester.[/QUOTE]

I guess then you don't want mine either, they're all silk.:mocking:

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Discussion Starter #16

Registered
If one can still find the old style cloth diapers, that were 100% soft cotton, those make the best dust rags! They get used for that, BEFORE being retired to the shop!
I remember those days! My mom and grandmothers used to do that! My wife did the cloth diaper thing for a while, but eventually she felt they were too much of a pain. There are still a few cloth diapers floating around my house and they are the best for dusting and cleaning when you need a soft rag. I have one I use for laying out small gun parts when cleaning.

I agree that the cotton/poly t-shirts are garbage for cleaning with. They don't absorb any moisture, and I do think they scratch polished surfaces.

Registered
Will Giz take old drawers with skid marks for shop rags? :lol:
So is what you're saying you can't make shop rags fast enough? We can all send you some T-shirts AND if you're really strapped, some boxers and briefs.:laugh:
That's hilarious about used drawers being used. One time I was repairing an engine for a friend and forgot to bring some shop towels. He said here use these. They were old undies of his. I laughed and said I'll find something else. :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts