Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
25 years ago my wife and I planted a lot of cypress trees here before we built our home.

Last winter and the drought have contributed to a lot of standing dead and fallen Monterey and Sargent cypress trees, and a big, twin trunk oak. We have plenty of firewood, so I decided to try milling my own lumber.

I bought a Granberg Alaskan milling attachment and ripping chain for my Husqvarna saw. For practice, I dropped a dead cypress by the driveway, maybe 18" diameter, and started milling.

After 3 1" boards, I tried 2" slabs and got an OK book match from the wide end of the 2 of them. It wasn't a great match due to the width of the kerf the chain cut.

Long story short, in honor of my father, and 2 grandfathers (hence the Threefathers), who all were skilled craftsman, I made a small table.

We planted it, I felled and milled it, and made the table. All of the wood is from the same tree (top, legs, wedges and plugs), and the same 2 2" slabs. There is no metal hardware in it, just glue and finish.

At first, I was going to Harbor Freight for a planer and plate joiner. Then, I remembered all of the high quality things those three men made with the few tools they had at hand. So, I sanded the top a lot, groove-and-splined the top halves, and cut the tenons with a hole saw. (Dad groove-and-splined with a table saw 1000s of board feet of 2" yellow pine for the floors in the house that he and Mom built 60 years ago. If it was good enough for him...)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Beautiful work! I expect your family will treasure this for many future generations.

·
Registered
569 Posts
25 years ago my wife and I planted a lot of cypress trees here before we built our home.

Last winter and the drought have contributed to a lot of standing dead and fallen Monterey and Sargent cypress trees, and a big, twin trunk oak. We have plenty of firewood, so I decided to try milling my own lumber.

I bought a Granberg Alaskan milling attachment and ripping chain for my Husqvarna saw. For practice, I dropped a dead cypress by the driveway, maybe 18" diameter, and started milling.

After 3 1" boards, I tried 2" slabs and got an OK book match from the wide end of the 2 of them. It wasn't a great match due to the width of the kerf the chain cut.

Long story short, in honor of my father, and 2 grandfathers (hence the Threefathers), who all were skilled craftsman, I made a small table.

We planted it, I felled and milled it, and made the table. All of the wood is from the same tree (top, legs, wedges and plugs), and the same 2 2" slabs. There is no metal hardware in it, just glue and finish.

At first, I was going to Harbor Freight for a planer and plate joiner. Then, I remembered all of the high quality things those three men made with the few tools they had at hand. So, I sanded the top a lot, groove-and-splined the top halves, and cut the tenons with a hole saw. (Dad groove-and-splined with a table saw 1000s of board feet of 2" yellow pine for the floors in the house that he and Mom built 60 years ago. If it was good enough for him...)
Superb job; the photos hardly do it justice!!!

What a great tribute to your forefathers,

Brian

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
Now that is P r e t t y ,very nice. :bigthumb: Your dad and grandparents would be proud. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

What finish did you use on the top ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, all!

It's supposed to be a side table for the campsite down in our woods, so it has several coats of Penofin, an oil based finished, on it.

Now that is P r e t t y ,very nice. :bigthumb: Your dad and grandparents would be proud. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

What finish did you use on the top ?

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
You just created a family heirloom. Thanks for sharing the pic and story of your beautiful table:good2:

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
WOW !!!!! Very nice . It will be special to you because of the way YOU made it , it will be priceless to those it is passed down to because YOU made it !!!! Sometimes the old ways of craftsmanship are more satisfying than the hurry up and get it done ways !!! :usa

·
Registered
157 Posts
Simply Great

You have a God given skill like your father and your grand father! So what are you going to built next?
Leo

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You have a God given skill like your father and your grand father! So what are you going to built next?
Leo
Thanks, Leo. The thing is, I didn't start out to build a table. It evolved. I was mainly using this tree to learn how to use the Granberg Alaskan Sawmill on my chainsaw. After I cut 3 1" boards, I decided to try 2" slabs. When I saw the book match of the 2 was pretty good, I thought about what to do with them, and decided to try a table. The whole thing took 4-6 weeks, as I sometimes need to think about the next steps for a while. I was all set to get a plate joiner and planer and then decided to make do whit what I have, as the Threefathers would have done. That also meant not buying a tenon cutter. Instead I cut the leg tenons on the drill press with a hole saw. And, splining them the way dad did the floors.

Art some point it became a challenge to do it all out of the same 2 slabs, with no metal fasteners, and very little measuring.

I'm gratified that y'all appreciate it.

I dunno what's next. I have a 12' gazebo/belvedere to finish that I started 2 years ago. (That's a story for another thread. I had to put it on hold for family care last year.

And, I have about 200 commemorative oak crosses to finish up for our church's 150th anniversary celebration in September.

crosses.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts