Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a Dell Venue 8 tablet, and yesterday the tablet went from being useful to a pain in the ass. This occurred when the tablet self updated with the latest Android OS (4.4.2 aka Kit Kat). The tablet gives an “Invalid Battery” message and doesn’t appear to charge. I have found out this is a common problem on Dell tablets running 4.4.2. Additional reported problems include external SD memory cards no longer work as the OS marks them as ‘read-only,’ apps crashing, and device lockups.

I have reset the thing, which essentially formats it, and yet 4.4.2 is still on the tablet. Unlike Windows; I could find no rollback to a previous version feature.

I have no idea if this is a widespread problem or localized to Dell. If localized to Dell; that means some Delldo didn’t do any quality control to make sure it doesn’t foul up people’s tablets before releasing the software for use.

So now we have to send the damn thing back to Dell and have it fixed under warranty.

So if your Android tablet regardless of brand starts acting weird; check the OS version and check online for possible fixes to the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
One of the first things I do when I get a new piece of computer equipment is to disable auto updates. It doesn't matter if it is Mac, PC or Android auto-updating is dangerous. Sorry to hear you found out the hard way.

·
Premium Member
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention what happened with the wife's Dell tablet.

Dell sent a box specifically meant for shipping tablets back and forth along with a prepaid shipping label. Within a week, they had the thing back to us. They replaced the motherboard along with reloading the OS; same version that caused the problem in the first place.

So far, so good and the wife is happy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts