Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharn Jean made a pot of Taco Soup and a batch of Cornbread Pancakes last night, and it really hit the spot. It was so good, I thought I would share.

TACO SOUP

Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

1 package dry Ranch salad dressing mix

1-16oz. can Ranch style beans

1-16oz can pinto beans

1-10oz. can of Rotel Tomatoes

Fresh green chiles, to taste (chopped) or you can used a couple cans of canned green chiles. We use Hatch peppers which were roasted and frozen.

1 package dry taco seasoning

1 cup of whole kernel corn (add a 15 oz can if you like corn)

2 or 3 -16oz. cans petite diced tomatoes (depending on how much soup you want)

Brown Meat in stew pot, drain fat and add remaining ingredients. Cook over low heat until hot.

If you're not a purist like me, you can serve over Frito Corn Chips topped with Cheddar cheese.

CORNBREAD PANCAKES

1 egg
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)
1/2 Tbsp. baking powder (you can leave this out, but it makes the cakes rise really nicely)
Vegetable oil

If you cannot buy self rising cornmeal and self rising flour in your area, use all purpose and add 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt.

Combine ingredients in mixing bowl, mix well, and cook on hot griddle like you would ordinary pancakes. Serve hot topped with butter.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
That Taco Soup recipe is similar to the one I posted, but mine cooks in the crock-pot while I am at work, so have a hearty soup ready when I get home!! :good2: If the weather is down, and I am stuck home, I like having all 4 burners going on the stove! Keeps me from going more batty than I am!! :mocking:

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That Taco Soup recipe is similar to the one I posted, but mine cooks in the crock-pot while I am at work, so have a hearty soup ready when I get home!! :good2: If the weather is down, and I am stuck home, I like having all 4 burners going on the stove! Keeps me from going more batty than I am!! :mocking:
My apologies...I had forgotten that you had posted your Taco Soup recipe...and you are correct, the two are very close. I know one thing, I really liked it and will probably have some for lunch today. The Cornbread Pancakes weren't bad either; they make for a nice change.

FWIW, I cooked my Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe for the Friday night dinner at the Elks Lodge last week. I must say that they were a big hit; lots of kudos all the way around. This is about my 5th time cooking for the Lodge; I have cooked baby backs 3 times (18 slabs each time), He Man Beef Stew once, and then the peppers. Sharn Jean cooked Enchiladas once. It is a new experience cooking for 50 or 60 people; the logistics present a new challenge for someone who isn't used to buying ribs by the case and tomatoes by the gallon. It's a lot of fun, but it does take a lot time but so far it's been very rewarding. Needless to say, I only go with my tried and true recipes.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
No need to apologize. I like having different versions of the same foods! On work days, a crock-pot can be my very best friend. But if I am home on cold, miserable days, I love to cook things on the stove top! All is very tasty, IMO!! :good2:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
My apologies...I had forgotten that you had posted your Taco Soup recipe...and you are correct, the two are very close. I know one thing, I really liked it and will probably have some for lunch today. The Cornbread Pancakes weren't bad either; they make for a nice change.

FWIW, I cooked my Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe for the Friday night dinner at the Elks Lodge last week. I must say that they were a big hit; lots of kudos all the way around. This is about my 5th time cooking for the Lodge; I have cooked baby backs 3 times (18 slabs each time), He Man Beef Stew once, and then the peppers. Sharn Jean cooked Enchiladas once. It is a new experience cooking for 50 or 60 people; the logistics present a new challenge for someone who isn't used to buying ribs by the case and tomatoes by the gallon. It's a lot of fun, but it does take a lot time but so far it's been very rewarding. Needless to say, I only go with my tried and true recipes.

Next time you make the He Man Beef Stew, let me know and I will be there with bells on. Maybe a good meet up possibility for GTT members?????

Dave

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
2LaneCruzer,
I copied the Cornbread Pancake recipe and emailed it to the wife at work(for a hint). Sure sound to be good.
Thanks for posting.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Sounds like we have a cook-off!!!!! :fed:

This will be a tough contest to win, but gizmo and I will tough out the judging part. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Sounds like we have a cook-off!!!!! :fed:

This will be a tough contest to win, but gizmo and I will tough out the judging part. :thumbup1gif:

Sorry, you and Gizmo2 are going to have to fight over the #2 judging slot. I already have the #1 slot.

Dave

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Sorry, you and Gizmo2 are going to have to fight over the #2 judging slot. I already have the #1 slot.

Dave
I'm sorry, you must be mistaken. (It happens to gizmo all the time.) But the third slot is open. I'll pencil you in sir. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
CORNBREAD PANCAKES

1 egg
1 cup self rising flour
1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)
1/2 Tbsp. baking powder (you can leave this out, but it makes the cakes rise really nicely)
Vegetable oil

If you cannot buy self rising cornmeal and self rising flour in your area, use all purpose and add 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt.

Combine ingredients in mixing bowl, mix well, and cook on hot griddle like you would ordinary pancakes. Serve hot topped with butter.
This sounds interesting, and thanks for posting ... but am I missing something? how much corn meal should I be using? Or is it cornmeal OR flour?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Ok guys, I have cleaned my glasses three times and I am still misty eyed. Is this a great site, or what?
I *think* you'll edge out FG since your recipe includes a side.:laugh:

You've been inducted into the cookbook once again sir.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
This sounds interesting, and thanks for posting ... but am I missing something? how much corn meal should I be using? Or is it cornmeal OR flour?

Thanks.
Tom, you beat me to it, (great minds think alike kinda stuff I'd guess) but I was wondering this myself.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I'm sorry, you must be mistaken. (It happens to gizmo all the time.) But the third slot is open. I'll pencil you in sir. :thumbup1gif:

Looks like we are headed for a little arm wrestling. You will take it easy on this "older feller" won't you?:tongue:

Dave

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
Looks like we are headed for a little arm wrestling. You will take it easy on this "older feller" won't you?:tongue:

Dave
Just don't get in front of me and some fine vittles! :lol: We'll be friends for a long time.:drinks:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Just don't get in front of me and some fine vittles! :lol: We'll be friends for a long time.:drinks:
I always wait to be last in line and clean up what is left. Forget seconds.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One (M8)

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
I can share. No worries.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks.
Hecky darn! It's one cup of self rising cornmeal. Here's the amended recipe:

CORNBREAD PANCAKES

1 egg
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup self rising corn meal
1 Tbsp. sugar (optional)
Vegetable oil

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next time you make the He Man Beef Stew, let me know and I will be there with bells on. Maybe a good meet up possibility for GTT members?????

Dave
What a great idea...and a possible solution to my problem. My problem is that I can never make just a small pot of stew; it ends up being a huge pot full, two gallons or more. If I can't get the girls to come over and take some home, I have to eat it 3 times a day for a week and still end up throwing some out and I hate to waste food. Some folks freeze it, but potatoes don't freeze all that well. When I cooked for the Elks, I had two big pots full, I would say 6 or 7 gallons for about 50 people and I still had about a gallon left over!

In the meantime, why don't you make a pot of your own? If you're getting any of that cold weather, it's a great warmer-upper...but be careful, you will rapidly gain a reputation as the stew man; you will have to get used to comments like "When you gonna make some more of that stew?".

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
What a great idea...and a possible solution to my problem. My problem is that I can never make just a small pot of stew; it ends up being a huge pot full, two gallons or more. If I can't get the girls to come over and take some home, I have to eat it 3 times a day for a week and still end up throwing some out and I hate to waste food. Some folks freeze it, but potatoes don't freeze all that well. When I cooked for the Elks, I had two big pots full, I would say 6 or 7 gallons for about 50 people and I still had about a gallon left over!

In the meantime, why don't you make a pot of your own? If you're getting any of that cold weather, it's a great warmer-upper...but be careful, you will rapidly gain a reputation as the stew man; you will have to get used to comments like "When you gonna make some more of that stew?".
No cold weather here. 70 predicted today.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One (M8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts