Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - This is my first post but I have been sniffing around for awhile

I have balanced the Kubota L32XX against the JD 2720 and think the 2720 has better perfromance - so in two weeks I am driving up to Oregon and putting a down payment on the 2720. Hell - I just want GREEN.
I am going also order the 60" FEL and a toothed attachment - the 54" SB with the uplift, quick hitch assembly and 2000 rpm option mid PTO - wheel weights- power beyond kit, iMatch, 60" rear blade, post hole digger with 12" auger, lighting kits front and back, hard canopy cover, 55 amp alternator, added 12VDC outlet on dash and finally the BX32S wood chipper ( in green! :lol:). A 3 pnt wood splitter and rear mounted winch next year. I might get a curtis cab - but I think the open cab would be kind of like sking...:thumbup1gif: so jury is out on that one.

I have 5 wooded acres - 1 of which is too steep for any tractor. This is a 1/2 mile off the county road - road is graveled and up a hill - Main uses - snow removal of the 1/2" road in the winter and around the house - road maintenance during the other seasons - chipping wood and brushing - helpin the other neighbors with their snow.

I looked at the 33xx ( one of my neighbors actual has a 3720) but I just do not think I need the extra size - besides - I can rent a 110 if I needed it in town.

Is there any recommendations -anything I am missing? I am trying to make this sub compact JD a swiss army knife of tractors!!

Mark G. in California

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Welcome to DT Mark, That is quite a package your are getting!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Mark,

It really looks like you have thought out your needs quite well. This size tractor can do a lot of work and the way you have it equiped will be a very good start. I say start because it is only just that, you'll see. Please keep us up to date with your purchase. Looking forward to hearing more.

OH and.........

:welcomedt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congratulations! You'll love it!

Randy's right, these little machines will amaze you.

I love mine!

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
The one thing I might suggest is not getting the JD tooth bar. I have one for my 400cx bucket and it is a heavy big guy! I like the beef and I do not feel I could break it easily, but if I had it over again I would buy an aftermarket one.

I put mine on and take it off quite a bit more than expected, so it has become a PITA.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Mark, You're off to a great start :thumbup1gif:

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
The one thing I might suggest is not getting the JD tooth bar. I have one for my 400cx bucket and it is a heavy big guy! I like the beef and I do not feel I could break it easily, but if I had it over again I would buy an aftermarket one.

I put mine on and take it off quite a bit more than expected, so it has become a PITA.
Brian,

Unless Deere has changed something the last I looked Deere did not offer the tooth bars for the 2000 series units. He will have to get an aftermarket, at least that is what I had to do.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Your're going to love that tractor, I suggest you have plenty of polish and rags on hand. :laugh:

I change my oil and filter every season even if there is hours left on them.

Also remember to oil the tractors springs and buy a good grease gun. I bought one of those battery operated Lincoln jobs on sale from Tractor Supply, it's nice not being tied to an air hose. Also you may need someone to operate the peddels and steering linkage to get them to take grease. I still have to do it on a couple zerks.

To grease the 855's front axle pin's grease zerk I raise the tractor with the bucket as high as it will go and pull down on a front wheel to get to the Zerk... very easy really.

You chose the right color.... "Nothing runs like a Deere" :good2: :good2: :good2:

·
Registered
771 Posts
One more thing about greasing equipment. It's a good Idea to locate every zerk on the part your greasing, if there is more than one zerk on the part make sure the other ones are not pointing back at your head when you force grease into the zerk. :hi:

·
Registered
733 Posts
One more thing about greasing equipment. It's a good Idea to locate every zerk on the part your greasing, if there is more than one zerk on the part make sure the other ones are not pointing back at your head when you force grease into the zerk. :hi:
Sounds like some good experience talking there :mocking:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Actually I read about it happening to a guy in a OSHA report..killed him... never forgot it.... I always pass the information on when a greasing topic comes up. Never know, it could save a life. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Congratulations on the new Green! You will love it! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Brian,

Unless Deere has changed something the last I looked Deere did not offer the tooth bars for the 2000 series units. He will have to get an aftermarket, at least that is what I had to do.
Randy,I'm pretty certain,JD makes one to fit the 61" HD bucket.

Greg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congrats on the new machine! Just making up your mind is about 90% of the battle.

If you really want a Swiss army knife, you might also consider pallet forks. I have the Frontier, fixed tine, 42 inch forks, and find that I use them all the time. You would be amazed at the uses you find for them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Randy,I'm pretty certain,JD makes one to fit the 61" HD bucket.

Greg
Greg,

I guess I just never ran across any literature that said toothbars were avaliable for the 2000 series. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I drove 6.5 hours to the JD dealership - San Francisco to MEdford OR. ( no sales tax there - save 9%) The salesman rolled out the 2720, I sat on it, ran it in circles all the while moving the FEL - Operational Great what an amazingly small turnning radius! But, I need chains on all four wheels - So when I looked at the front axle assemblies they honestly did not look beefy enough... :boredom:..I went and looked at a Kubota B3200 - nice front axles but I didn't like the way the back axles had 12" of unsupported axle shaft ( wheel to inside axle shaft support, it looked ripe for cast cracks or rear bearing seal leaks.

SO... I am now looking at either a 3320 or an L3400 - As both have much larger axle tubes and back castings. Both dealers are great ... unfortunately- one of them is Orange. Do not hate me... :tongue: I'm just looking for the best deal on the best tractor.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Can you explain why you "need" chains on all 4 wheels? You will find that no OEM recommends that-and may not cover any warranty claims on the drive line if they know/find out about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ice Ice Ice - The road gets so slick my neighbor's JD used to slide sideways - until he got the chains. We've had people get out of their cars and literally fall and slide 10 feet - :laugh: One of them was me!!
IT's a steep hill in parts and lots of shade due to the trees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts