Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2500hd. I do not need the towing capability and would love to get better than 12 mpg. I had a 1994 Toyota before and liked it. Sold it for a extended cab S-10.

I would like a crew cab but cannot get a full size crew cab in my garage. I am leaning toward a Tacoma 4WD crew cab. It would fit in my garage and give the 3 yr old more leg room. I will not own a 1st year production any vehicle again. That rules out Canyon this year and Tacoma next year. What does everyone suggest?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Toyota trucks rust in half. Yuck!

Does it have to be a pick-up truck?

·
Premium Member
14,875 Posts
I would go for the Tacoma 4WD crew cab in a heart beat .

I think our mail carrier is on his 3rd Tacoma in the past 10 yrs or so. The last used one he bought had 45 or 55000 , the last two trucks had over 300000 , put on dirt and secondary roads.
Our 09Vibe AWD (Toyota Matrix) has 110,000 put a set of brake pads frt and rear and normal oil changes... Nothing else.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I vote for the Toyota Tacoma, 2011 it has been a great truck not a problem with it 2 year free oil and tire changes.

Doug

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,764 Posts
"Talk me out of it"!!!! That's funny, wrong forum. :lol:

IMO you only have two choices for a smaller truck, Tacoma or the Canyon/Colorado. I would give the GM trucks (Canyon/Colorado) a real hard look, and I'm a Toyota fan.

Notes: Kids grow up really fast.

·
Administrator
20,846 Posts
Doesn't Nissan still make the Frontier?

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Doesn't Nissan still make the Frontier?
Was thinking that as well. Pretty sure they do.

I'd look at the Colorado/Canyon from GM. Yes it's all new, but looking at RandyM and others I've seen they look pretty nice. If you could wait until fall, GM is supposed to offer a 2.8 liter Duramax diesel in the 2016 model year Colorado/Canyon. That's the one that intrigued me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,846 Posts
Yep, but the 2.8L Cummins diesel won't be available until later this year as a '16 model.
I thought the Cummins option was only going to be available in the Titan models?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I currently have a 2500hd. I do not need the towing capability and would love to get better than 12 mpg. I had a 1994 Toyota before and liked it. Sold it for a extended cab S-10.

I would like a crew cab but cannot get a full size crew cab in my garage. I am leaning toward a Tacoma 4WD crew cab. It would fit in my garage and give the 3 yr old more leg room. I will not own a 1st year production any vehicle again. That rules out Canyon this year and Tacoma next year. What does everyone suggest?
get a Chevy silverado ls crew cab short bed. i have a 2001 model, and it is a really good truck. you will need to take it into the dealer for the tailgate recall/replace. oh, did i mention it is a good truck?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
An F-150 Supercrew with the 5.5ft bed is the same length as an extended cab fullsize and should fit in most garages. With the Ecoboost (especially the new 2.7L V6) you can get great mileage and still have a fullsize.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

At 12 mpg I am not sure I would want anyone to talk me out of it:laugh: but on a serious note, if you "never" see yourself needing the towing or hauling capability of the 2500 then I would say get rid of it and buy something that is better on gas.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
At 12 mpg I am not sure I would want anyone to talk me out of it:laugh: but on a serious note, if you "never" see yourself needing the towing or hauling capability of the 2500 then I would say get rid of it and buy something that is better on gas.
I did a few years ago, had a 2001 2500HD 4x4 crew cab with 16,000 miles. Towed up to 12K+ with it. Traded it in on an 06-1500 4x4 crew cab w/42K, tow up to 7K with this one. Now I'm thinking on a newer on with less miles! At the time, wife was in the hospital 80 miles from home, plus a little driving around while there, it was costing me $40/day (round trip) for gas. Traded for the 1/2 ton, cost me $40 for a trip & a half!

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I did a few years ago, had a 2001 2500HD 4x4 crew cab with 16,000 miles. Towed up to 12K+ with it. Traded it in on an 06-1500 4x4 crew cab w/42K, tow up to 7K with this one. Now I'm thinking on a newer on with less miles! At the time, wife was in the hospital 80 miles from home, plus a little driving around while there, it was costing me $40/day (round trip) for gas. Traded for the 1/2 ton, cost me $40 for a trip & a half!
I nearly sold my Dodge 2500 4 door 4x4 with a cummins a few years ago, around the time that diesel was at nearly $5 a gallon but I talked myself out of it, (I average about 19 mpg) That hit I was taking at the gas pump did not bother me as much considering the truck was paid for:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: Yamaguy

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
As opposed to the brake lines and extended csb doors rusting off on my 2500hd!?

No, but I have no other way to haul anything.
A ton easier to replace brake lines and doors than a FRAME, yes?

Just asking because my wife has a Taurus X wagon (predecessor to the Flex) and we haul stuff in it/behind it all the time.

Tow rating up to 4500 lbs, seating for 7-8 depending on how the 2nd row is arranged and 24mpg. All 2nd & 3rd row seats fold flat as does the passenger front seat (folds forward) so that you can easily get 12 ft lumber completely inside the vehicle.

·
Administrator
18,271 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts