Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm in the midst of perusing sprayer options for my x739, and am a bit bleary eyed from the reading and the looking, hoping to get some focus here.

Considerations:

Looking for a way to spray 13,500/14K sq. ft, at least the majority of it, that which using my 2 gallon pair of electric pump versions are a bit too much for. The 2 gals are good for my tighter sections - boulevard strip, smaller sections of the front hardscape, regional work, etc which the tractor is too large for, or by using the hand attachment on the tow-behind larger example. But the other 12K sq. ft could easily be knocked out on the liquids by way of a larger sprayer mounted on the tractor.

Liquids involved include various "suspensions", including liquid humic acid diluted in water, but forms a "suspension" that benefits from steady/regular stirring/blending, whether the pump accomplishes this is a bit confusing, or if just "sloshing around" is good enough, or a combo of the two. These solutions are a bit "thicker/more to them" than just water that mixes chemicals thoroughly, but still flow out of my 2 gallon sprayers just fine with larger flow tee-jet tips. I suspect I'll be using tee-jet tips that allow for a bit larger volume spray (flood types), as I do in my 2 gallon sprayers then possibly different ones for more "pure liquid" applications. I can easily dilute and increase the water if needed, a 30 gallon could be mixed and sprayed at 2 gallons per thousand sq. ft. instead of one to facilitate better mixing and more "forgiveness/less concentration" but still get the mix out there. I would start out mixing the solution with a cordless drill potentially (think paint or similar mixing) but would like to see it continue to blend/sir" throughout the app, if possible........

I am also confused a bit by some of the pumps - some are just "on" it seems, others with adjustable pressure, seemingly showing up on reasonably priced models, too.

I'm looking (to start out with) at three units: The Fimco 30 gallon, Northstar 31 gallon, and the Superior Tech 25 gallon "for Deere" offering, which with the click-n-go setup has an instant advantage, albeit considerably more expensive than the others and in the case of the Northstar has an adjustable pressure on the pump....I think, where the JD/ST is just "on and off". But I like the idea of having the ability to back up the tractor and have the tank/booms be precisely where I back them up to, where the tow-behind would present some issues/be more difficult here.

I get the impression that the Superior Tech might also be a unit I might spend some time upgrading - it seems the booms are somewhat cheap and flop up and down while they ride along. I like that the boom seems lower across the back, albeit the up and down flopping seems like it might then lose some of that advantage, while the other two seem to have a stiffer boom that doesn't flop. I suppose all of these would be units that need component replacement over time, and that's understood on some level, but I would really like to avoid the bad purchase, the one I would regret.

I don't see an issue with a "two wide" jet setup, in the neighborhood of six to eight feet is plenty, I'm looking to get that six to eight foot "even" across the width in a reasonable sense, as opposed to having to do a "runway wide" sort of deal.

If I'm wayyyy off the mark and would want/ned a different unit to address some of these concerns, I'm all ears on that too, the current aforementioned models seeming to be about the right size/gallon rating, anyway, but not married to them, so to speak.

Can anyone shed some light here?

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
152 Posts
OK, so I'm in the midst of perusing sprayer options for my x739, and am a bit bleary eyed from the reading and the looking, hoping to get some focus here.

Considerations:

Looking for a way to spray 13,500/14K sq. ft, at least the majority of it, that which using my 2 gallon pair of electric pump versions are a bit too much for. The 2 gals are good for my tighter sections - boulevard strip, smaller sections of the front hardscape, regional work, etc which the tractor is too large for, or by using the hand attachment on the tow-behind larger example. But the other 12K sq. ft could easily be knocked out on the liquids by way of a larger sprayer mounted on the tractor.

Liquids involved include various "suspensions", including liquid humic acid diluted in water, but forms a "suspension" that benefits from steady/regular stirring/blending, whether the pump accomplishes this is a bit confusing, or if just "sloshing around" is good enough, or a combo of the two. These solutions are a bit "thicker/more to them" than just water that mixes chemicals thoroughly, but still flow out of my 2 gallon sprayers just fine with larger flow tee-jet tips. I suspect I'll be using tee-jet tips that allow for a bit larger volume spray (flood types), as I do in my 2 gallon sprayers then possibly different ones for more "pure liquid" applications. I can easily dilute and increase the water if needed, a 30 gallon could be mixed and sprayed at 2 gallons per thousand sq. ft. instead of one to facilitate better mixing and more "forgiveness/less concentration" but still get the mix out there. I would start out mixing the solution with a cordless drill potentially (think paint or similar mixing) but would like to see it continue to blend/sir" throughout the app, if possible........

I am also confused a bit by some of the pumps - some are just "on" it seems, others with adjustable pressure, seemingly showing up on reasonably priced models, too.

I'm looking (to start out with) at three units: The Fimco 30 gallon, Northstar 31 gallon, and the Superior Tech 25 gallon "for Deere" offering, which with the click-n-go setup has an instant advantage, albeit considerably more expensive than the others and in the case of the Northstar has an adjustable pressure on the pump....I think, where the JD/ST is just "on and off". But I like the idea of having the ability to back up the tractor and have the tank/booms be precisely where I back them up to, where the tow-behind would present some issues/be more difficult here.

I get the impression that the Superior Tech might also be a unit I might spend some time upgrading - it seems the booms are somewhat cheap and flop up and down while they ride along. I like that the boom seems lower across the back, albeit the up and down flopping seems like it might then lose some of that advantage, while the other two seem to have a stiffer boom that doesn't flop. I suppose all of these would be units that need component replacement over time, and that's understood on some level, but I would really like to avoid the bad purchase, the one I would regret.

I don't see an issue with a "two wide" jet setup, in the neighborhood of six to eight feet is plenty, I'm looking to get that six to eight foot "even" across the width in a reasonable sense, as opposed to having to do a "runway wide" sort of deal.

If I'm wayyyy off the mark and would want/ned a different unit to address some of these concerns, I'm all ears on that too, the current aforementioned models seeming to be about the right size/gallon rating, anyway, but not married to them, so to speak.

Can anyone shed some light here?
I have a JD 25 gal tow behind. I hate it. I would never buy a tow behind again. I seem to have it upside down pretty much every time i use it. Next will be a click n go or 3 pt model. Kent

·
Registered
1023e, H120, 60D MMM
131 Posts
I have a Fimco 30 gallon with 3 nozzles that covers about 60” spray pattern that I overlap on each swath by 12”. I spray 2 acres with it and have good luck. You can adjust the spray pressure by playing with the agitation control valve. Is it perfect? No. But it works good enough for lawn and pasture. I also have a 40 gallon homemade 3pt sprayer with a 7’ boom. It has anti-drip nozzles and a variable pressure pump. It was a winter project so will be tested when the ground firms up from the spring thaw.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the 31 gallon Northstar tow behind, it's been a great sprayer, has variable pressure setting with an agitator/re-circulator that keeps the liquid mixed up well. The hand sprayer wand fell off and got bent around a tree but other than that been a good unit. I rinse it out with some tank cleaner after each use and it stays in a heated basement so never had to winterize it but it's kept going for several years now.

Oh I did have to replace the battery clamps as the pin on the negative clamp broke last year, but there are cheap replacements on Amazon so that wasn't a big deal.

·
Premium Member
12,771 Posts
I have the Frontier 45 gallon sprayer, which is made for Deere by Superior Tech. I absolutely love it. Here's why;

1. It has the adjustable sprayer pressure which is very easy to use.
2. It also keeps the solution blended if used properly.
3. I use the "Boomless" sprayer with 3 nozzles mounted on the back of the sprayer and no "Boom arms" sticking out. It sprays consistently at 18' to 20' wide for each pass and no booms to mess with or break off on anything as there is nothing sticking out of the sprayer.
4. The entire sprayer is well made. Good quality hand held hose and spray nozzle. Place to hold the hose when wound up on the sprayer. Easy to use and clean out.
5. Wireless Key Fobs for turning the sprayer on and off so no leaning or standing on your head to reach the sprayer behind you.
6. I used to use tow behind sprayers. I prefer mounted to the tractor SIGNIFICANTLY over tow behind for ease of use and better application consistency.

Over the years, I have owned about 5 or 6 various tow behind and cheaper farm store sprayers. In the end, everyone had either pump issues, or the tow behind carts failed or something happened. Get one to mount on your tractor and get one with a good quality pump and with real, heavy duty spray nozzles, etc.

I tried sprayers carried in tow behind carts. I tried sprayers mounted to hitch platforms fabricated to mount on the tractor (before I had a 3ph set up). The weight of the sprayer platform on a sleeve hitch required a dolly wheel to carry the weight. I hate to think of the time and money I spent trying to make a cheaper sprayer work. I am sure I am not the only one who has done this.

Save yourself the time and expense of disposing of worn out cheap sprayers in a year or two. Get a good tractor mounted sprayer with a reliable parts source and be done with it. I had Northern's sprayers, FIMCO sprayers and several others. In the end, I spent much more on the throw away sprayers than I did just purchasing one commercial grade sprayer.

Also, I would NOT get the boom for your application. The average yard I spray is about 40,000 to 50,000 sq feet and the boom less sprayer works great. Even at a 18 to 20 foot spray width, you can cover an acre in no time. Three spray nozzles on the sprayer frame and nothing to catch on anything or otherwise bend or damage.

I bought a sprayer at my local farm store and when I was spraying, all of the spray nozzles split and the pressure shot them out of the rear sprayer mounts. Went to my farm store and they couldn't get parts for THAT sprayer and all of the sprayer parts they did carry wouldn't fit that sprayer without changing every fitting to the style the store carried. Constant screwing around.

I think my Deere sprayer was about $800 with the best options, but I would buy it again without hesitation. Considering I had 5 or 6 of the $300 to $400 sprayers I ended up throwing or giving away to reclaim the space they occupied when no longer functional, I would have been money ahead and MUCH less headache over time with the best sprayer first.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
OP,
Chapin sprayers are comparable to JD sprayers in quality and support.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Frontier 45 gallon sprayer, which is made for Deere by Superior Tech. I absolutely love it. Here's why;

1. It has the adjustable sprayer pressure which is very easy to use.
2. It also keeps the solution blended if used properly.
3. I use the "Boomless" sprayer with 3 nozzles mounted on the back of the sprayer and no "Boom arms" sticking out. It sprays consistently at 18' to 20' wide for each pass and no booms to mess with or break off on anything as there is nothing sticking out of the sprayer.
4. The entire sprayer is well made. Good quality hand held hose and spray nozzle. Place to hold the hose when wound up on the sprayer. Easy to use and clean out.
5. Wireless Key Fobs for turning the sprayer on and off so no leaning or standing on your head to reach the sprayer behind you.
6. I used to use tow behind sprayers. I prefer mounted to the tractor SIGNIFICANTLY over tow behind for ease of use and better application consistency.

Over the years, I have owned about 5 or 6 various tow behind and cheaper farm store sprayers. In the end, everyone had either pump issues, or the tow behind carts failed or something happened. Get one to mount on your tractor and get one with a good quality pump and with real, heavy duty spray nozzles, etc.

I tried sprayers carried in tow behind carts. I tried sprayers mounted to hitch platforms fabricated to mount on the tractor (before I had a 3ph set up). The weight of the sprayer platform on a sleeve hitch required a dolly wheel to carry the weight. I hate to think of the time and money I spent trying to make a cheaper sprayer work. I am sure I am not the only one who has done this.

Save yourself the time and expense of disposing of worn out cheap sprayers in a year or two. Get a good tractor mounted sprayer with a reliable parts source and be done with it. I had Northern's sprayers, FIMCO sprayers and several others. In the end, I spent much more on the throw away sprayers than I did just purchasing one commercial grade sprayer.

Also, I would NOT get the boom for your application. The average yard I spray is about 40,000 to 50,000 sq feet and the boom less sprayer works great. Even at a 18 to 20 foot spray width, you can cover an acre in no time. Three spray nozzles on the sprayer frame and nothing to catch on anything or otherwise bend or damage.

I bought a sprayer at my local farm store and when I was spraying, all of the spray nozzles split and the pressure shot them out of the rear sprayer mounts. Went to my farm store and they couldn't get parts for THAT sprayer and all of the sprayer parts they did carry wouldn't fit that sprayer without changing every fitting to the style the store carried. Constant screwing around.

I think my Deere sprayer was about $800 with the best options, but I would buy it again without hesitation. Considering I had 5 or 6 of the $300 to $400 sprayers I ended up throwing or giving away to reclaim the space they occupied when no longer functional, I would have been money ahead and MUCH less headache over time with the best sprayer first.

The "saving myself the time and expense" is EXACTLY why I posted. I don't mind time and expense if well directed, but I'd rather not buy only to buy again later (why I bought the x700 series in the first place). A few observations:

1: I don't have a 3 pt hitch and aside from this would have no other reason to do it. I don't plan to get a tiller/rear blower/other implement that would use that, but I do have the click and go setup which does lead me to one conclusion or thought, at least, which is:

That the 25 gallon Superior Tech is the PERFECT sized tank for my property - even maybe a little extra, which means it's just the right size - as well as mount, that will avoid me having to use a tow behind and therefore be able to benefit from the pinpoint control that the tractor mount would give me. The size and mount of the 25 gal is absolutely perfect.

However, the rest of that might not be. As an example, I wonder about modifying that setup somehow, using a better pump and output section to tweak that bad boy for just what I want.

I have no idea what a "boomless sprayer" would look like on the 45 or the 25 gallon, (trying to get a visual on what yours looks like). but I would say at minimum I like the idea of the boom shown on the 25 gallon version is lower (and therefore not as likely to have ambient spray, but to drop it more directly on the turf as I would want it) as well as not needing the spread width you mention - I'm looking for 8-10 foot wide roughly, in fact the narrower/scaled down width for me would be an asset as the wider width might be a bit unwieldy/harder to maneuver in my situation.

The mount and size is so perfect with respect to the Superior Tech 25 gallon version as to be worth it to get that just for the mount and size, as it is optimal, then modify/upgrade the parts to get the spray, mix, and pump that machine should ideally have. The base 25 gallon setup is a little over $500, even if I put a few more hundred into it the compactness of the mount and proper size would make this ideal if I could fashion a modified version through building it out around that tank and mount with better parts/pump/etc. I can get all the tee-jet stuff I could ever need so I know where to go with that, at least......

Would this even be possible? Does Superior do such upgrades/mods? Are those tanks set up with proprietary fittings or could upgrade parts from ST or OEMs be used? If ST doesn't do those things could I buy the parts from OEMs or ST and build that out here? The 45 gallon you mention would be a way to go except I don't have the 3PH and along with the fact that the 25 is perfect sized and mount despite the lesser internals. Absent another way to get from point A to point B, I'm certainly willing to jump through some hoops to make something like that happen, if it's feasible In terms of parts fit and such. I spent a decade plus having vacuum tube audio systems modified for specific purposes, so I'm a patient type if we needed to seek a customized solution. The 25 gal ST option for the x700 seems a good base tank and mount to customize/build around.

Ideas? Or am I categorically insane, LOL.

·
Registered
833 Posts
OP,
Chapin sprayers are comparable to JD sprayers in quality and support.
I will second @SulleyBear on the John Deere/superior tech endorsement. I got the 60 gallon pto model for a 2 acre lawn and a 4 acre hayfield. I did have to make some simple mods, but they were inexpensive and the unit uses standard parts, so $100 more and it was perfectly configured for my purposes. Their tow behind units most likely follow suit - well made and use standard parts.

btw, agrifab recently acquired ST.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I think 3pt sprayer is the only way to go. Don't need anything else with tires. I've got a 100 or 150 gal for my 5320 from Rozell sprayers. For fence lines I use a 14gal on the back of the ATV that I'm sure came from Northern tool.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I dig around on YouTube and a few other forums sniffing around for "custom" or other ideas, as well as trying to get some education on the mechanics and components of these things generally. They seem to have common fittings/conventions, and it would seem that in a pinch, one could potentially "marry" the best aspects of some with yet others.

Also, if I, for instance, liked the mounting and compactness of the JD 25 gallon sprayer (the 25 gallon size just seems right here), given the "made for the X700 series" build, but could yet either rebuild it if after a time I deemed it less than ideal or "tweaked", and even in it's stock stage could be fashioned to bring some at least reasonable/OK results. But it almost seems worth the JD "juice" just for the made for mount as well as compactness, and these vids I see on YouTube have me wondering if such mods might be possible on the 25 gallon version.

It seems the shortcomings are primarily that the pump and layout won't spray and recirculate effectively at the same time. These seem to address that by way of a Tee-Jet branded valve that gets used to better regulate that flow, and with a larger motor. I also looked for marginally similar/larger sized (in the 30/40 gal range) for units that might offer larger motors/more oomph/premium components but those seem to be 50 gal minimum and more 100ish typically and either be tow or 3PH (in which case the SulleyBear rec would make sense and wouldn't have to look much more). There doesn't seem too be much other than "base model" motors in most of these lower end/base sized units (looking at replacement prices and such).

The one thing these vids seems to convey is a wish I also have, which is the higher performance recirculation and pump performance with a smaller gallon size. These do have the wheels turning, in absence of an easier alternative or requiring the purchase and install pf a 3PH (and probably much more spray tank size than needed albeit the features/performance look good).

·
Registered
992 Posts

Considerations:

Looking for a way to spray 13,500/14K sq. ft, at least the majority of it,

I'm looking (to start out with) at three units: The Fimco 30 gallon,
These electric pump sprayers generally pump 3 to 4 gallons of liquid per minute at 45-60 psi, and the pump has a pressure switch that shuts off the pump at 60 psi, and once the pressure drops to about 45 psi, turns it back on again. They also have a recirculation feature, which is an adjustable valve that directs part of the pump's outflow back into the tank. That also acts as an agitator, perfect for your suspension liquids that need to stay stirred up. You can also vary the delivery pressure by opening up the recirculation valve as much as needed. There is a pressure gauge on the outlet manifold. I have a Fimco 40 gallon sprayer on a 3-point mount and it has a hand wand plus a 4- spray head folding boom. (the one shown below)

FIMCO 40 Gallon 3 Point Sprayer 12V 4 Nozzle (fimcoindustries.com).

I love it; I installed a couple of shut-off valves between the inner and outer spray heads so I can spray narrow areas with the boom folded, using only the two inner heads. The boom is spring-loaded at its folding points, and folds bac, so it 'gives" if you misjudge distance and hit one of the ends on an obstacle. The hand wand has an adjustable nozzle, will do a stream about 40 feet for hard to reach spots, or down to a fine mist, and has about 25 feet of hose.

The whole thing is very well made, and cost a lot less than I thought it would; I bought mine during a sale. The pump has a two-year warranty, the rest of the sprayer is one year, but there's nothing to go wrong except the pump. I have over 7 acres to spray, and I've been using it to help a friend in his landscaping business to spray weed control on many of his larger lawns he'd otherwise have to use a walk-behind sprayer on.

You probably don't need something quite that large, but Fimco makes a very nice sprayer for the price, and their customer service is fantastic.

Edit: I noticed the video above of the walk-behind sprayer that fits inside a fertilizer spreader. My landscaping buddy has one of those and it works great (his is not a Northstar and the tank fits perfectly in the Lesco spreader hopper). It holds a bit over 8 gallons, and is made to fit the Lesco spreaders, which are the best on the market, IMO. All stainless steel frame, very heavy duty commercial construction, but expensive, at around $400 not counting the spray system (I don't know how much that is). His has a hand wand as well as a 4-head folding boom, the spray width of the boom is about 10 feet. Only thing I see that I don't like is the tank has no drain, so you have to turn it upside down to drain or clean it. The tank comes with a steel frame to set it in when not installed in the spreader. For lawns small enough that walking is a good option, it's very nice. 8 gallons of mix plus the tank and battery weighs a bit more than the hopper full of fertilizer, but it's still fairly easy to push.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts