Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know for a lot of folks, bermuda grass is a weed. Here in Oklahoma, it is the most popular turf type lawn. I started last year working on encouraging the bermuda and slowing down the annuals. I was greatly pleased what a preemergent, fertilizer, and a couple applications of trimec did in a single season. I have hopes to improve it more this year, and its looking pretty decent as of now. I have some henbit and other annuals popping up along my foundation and areas the moles exposed fresh dirt all winter. Those will be easy to take care of.
I also have these clumps of tall fescue popping up all over the lawn while the bermuda is just now greening up. Its pretty unattractive IMO. I'm doing my spring preemergent tonight, but I'm certain that won't do anything for the fescue clumps I see. I'm thinking/hoping these will die off in the heat of summer? I could spot spray with a non selective, just not sure I'm to that point yet.

Any bermuda lawn folks around that have some advice?

·
Registered
925 Posts
About the only hope you have is to spot treat the fescue. Down here in the southeast, it's the fescue we want and not the Bermuda. Fescue doesn't do well in heat, but it can survive unless it gets really dry. Not sure what time of Spring the Bermuda comes out of dormancy out your way, here it is not yet started greening up, but won't be long. Bermuda typically will crowd out fescue when it gets active, but try spot treating the clumps with a non-selective like glyphosate. Instead of spraying, use a wipe wand, you can control the application better. These are sold on Amazon, but I made my own, cost me about $30 in PVC parts, but the ones sold on the net cost that much and aren't as nice.

The rope at the bottom is 5/8" braided nylon, and acts as a wick for whatever liquid is in the handle. The valve in the middle allows you to control how fast your mix is pulled into the wick. Mine holds 12 ounces in the big part of the handle and you can treat a lot of area with that small amount, another nice thing about these. I mix about a Tbsp. of glyphosate to 12 ounces of water, with a couple of drops of Ivory dishwashing liquid as a surfactant. The handle on the wand unscrews, you pour in your mix, open the valve and watch for the wick to start dripping, then start wiping the areas you want to treat, avoiding where you don't want the chemical. No overspray to try controlling, so the dead spots aren't very big when the chemical starts working.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About the only hope you have is to spot treat the fescue. Down here in the southeast, it's the fescue we want and not the Bermuda. Fescue doesn't do well in heat, but it can survive unless it gets really dry. Not sure what time of Spring the Bermuda comes out of dormancy out your way, here it is not yet started greening up, but won't be long. Bermuda typically will crowd out fescue when it gets active, but try spot treating the clumps with a non-selective like glyphosate. Instead of spraying, use a wipe wand, you can control the application better. These are sold on Amazon, but I made my own, cost me about $30 in PVC parts, but the ones sold on the net cost that much and aren't as nice.

The rope at the bottom is 5/8" braided nylon, and acts as a wick for whatever liquid is in the handle. The valve in the middle allows you to control how fast your mix is pulled into the wick. Mine holds 12 ounces in the big part of the handle and you can treat a lot of area with that small amount, another nice thing about these. I mix about a Tbsp. of glyphosate to 12 ounces of water, with a couple of drops of Ivory dishwashing liquid as a surfactant. The handle on the wand unscrews, you pour in your mix, open the valve and watch for the wick to start dripping, then start wiping the areas you want to treat, avoiding where you don't want the chemical. No overspray to try controlling, so the dead spots aren't very big when the chemical starts working. View attachment 781129 View attachment 781130 View attachment 781131
Really cool, I might just have to give that a try. How much of the wick is inside the PVC? Maybe its tied in a loop there to hold it in place, or does it run up the shaft towards the valve? Its all pretty straightforward to me except for how the wick is in.

My Bermuda is greening up now, but its a slow process. It will be another week or two before it really what I would call green. Spot treating would be ideal now since it is so easy to see the fescue, but it will be a month or more before the Bermuda really starts to stretch its legs.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Really cool, I might just have to give that a try. How much of the wick is inside the PVC? Maybe its tied in a loop there to hold it in place, or does it run up the shaft towards the valve? Its all pretty straightforward to me except for how the wick is in.
I really should have taken pictures as I made it; the wick was the hardest part of the whole affair. The bottom portion of tubing where the wick runs is 1/2" PVC. The rope is 5/8". The rope starts inside the 45 degree 3/4" elbow, which has a 3/4 to 1/2 bushing to adapt it to the 1/2 inch pipe. The rope comes out the side at the bottom, loops to the front and back through the 1/2" pipe back to the base. I managed to pull enough back through that I could "sew" it to the other end with 30 lb. fishing line. There is no way that rope can come out. I had to thread the rope through each individual pipe fitting, then glue them together.
I'll sketch an exploded view with pieces marked and post it here, so you can make a parts list if you want to make one. getting the rope to thread will be a royal PITA, but it can be done. Make sure you use woven rope and not wound (twisted) rope.

Reactions: Andursun0013

·
Registered
925 Posts
Here's a sketch of the assembly. As long as you have the rope through the end elbows at least a inch or two, it's unlikely it will come out, it is a really snug fit. It won't affect the wicking action because of the weight of the fluid column in the pipe. It's really important not to glue anything until you work out the order you need to glue things, so it will go together. The handle unscrews so the tank can be filled, so be sure not to glue it. Also, drill a small hole in the top of the cap on the handle end to prevent a vacuum as the tank empties. I drilled a 1/16" hole. The whole thing, from the top elbow to the bottom, can be as long or as short as you want, to accommodate your height. Mine is a little over 36" from elbow to elbow, or about 40" overall.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Here in my part of the south, I am trying to get rid of fescue in my coastal Bermuda pastures. I have been using Roundup in a 20v Chapin 4 gallon backpack sprayer that uses a B&D battery, so no pumping, with a spot spraying shield and nozzle. But I do still get a little drift.

I had not thought about a wipe-on application, but I like the idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts