Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got one of these at our local "Southern States" farm store:

http://www.tartergate.com/switch.php?fn=catalog.details&cod=TMGR&site=tpt&emp=tpt

The web page and product are marked as "Quick-Hitch Compatible". When I got back home with it, the top holes were too far up for a Deere iMatch. It may well have worked with a Landpride or Horror Freight quick hitch unit with the adjustable top hook, but adjusting the hook is counter to the concept of "quick" in my book.

I'm still looking for something like this that is iMatch compatible. I could get this and take it to the welding shop (I don't have a welder), but would prefer to just get something that works.

My point here? If something is marked as "Quick Hitch Compatible" measure before you buy. After all, the whole point of standards is to have a known point from which to deviate :laugh:.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Have you looked at the trailer hitches at your Deere Dealer? I got mine cheap when I bought my chain saw. Well worth the 30 bucks!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to check with my Deere dealer. Got a picture of that hitch? (when you can, I know your busy...)

Pete

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not worried about gooseneck, that's what I need :thumbup1gif:. Right color, right size. Is this a Deere product? I'll get up with my dealer!

Buying something gray.... what was I thinking :nunu:...

Pete

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Yeah, I could not have bought the metal to build it for what they sold it to me for.
I think it was a mistake in your favor-I have read they sell for $200+

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
They cut me a deal on it when I bought my Stihl 361. I thought it was 50% off? Guess I was wrong.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Tarter one (that doesn't fit the iMatch) was $140, I think the Deere one is in the $220 range. Plan 'C' is get a Cat 1 drawbar (thing that goes between the lower links, has lots of holes in it), a receiver hitch, and go to the welding shop. That should total about $140 or so by the time it's all done.

The $200 for the one that holds weights is tempting, might be able to use that to get the dealer down to $200 for the Deere one. I'm not sure the weight you could put on it would make much difference with a 4520 though. I'll ask what Deere wants and post. It's kind of a "how much you want to mess around for $60" thing now...

Tnx to all for feedback and product pointers :good2:.

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
OK Pete, I am starting think you are trying to convince yourself you need this welder. I really think you do, just think at how good it will look sitting in your shop. :good2: Think of the hours of FUN you will have and it is easy to learn. And you can make things that work right the first time that you don't have to modify. :thumbup1gif: Here is an example.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/for...er-hitch-that-works.&highlight=reciever+hitch

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can make one real easy if you have a welder. Buy a drawbar from TSC, a 6 inch receiver tube and a couple of pieces of angle iron. I made two of these.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
You can make one real easy if you have a welder. Buy a drawbar from TSC, a 6 inch receiver tube and a couple of pieces of angle iron. I made two of these.
Talking Pete into getting a welder is like :banghead:

Sorry Pete...just having fun:laugh:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Runner- now I have "plans" I can give to the welding shop I use :laugh:.

Randy and Kenny, never say never, but :banghead: is pretty close to true.

It's not the welder that worries me, it's the doodads you need, having scrap metal, the welding table/cart, etc. Heck I'm still trying to get my fall projects done around here before it's summer (I'm down to one more grass seeding area and the air compressor install. Oh, and the new outbuilding going up in May...).

Pete

·
Banned
747 Posts
Excuses, excuses :lol:

Seriously, bought a welder 3 years ago and it's one of the better tool choices I've made in a while. It is down right indespensable. As for scrap metal, I'm always finding something, have only purchased one piece since buying the welder and I've used it a lot. Most welders first project is building a welding cart :laugh:

Thanks Runner- now I have "plans" I can give to the welding shop I use :laugh:.

Randy and Kenny, never say never, but :banghead: is pretty close to true.

It's not the welder that worries me, it's the doodads you need, having scrap metal, the welding table/cart, etc. Heck I'm still trying to get my fall projects done around here before it's summer (I'm down to one more grass seeding area and the air compressor install. Oh, and the new outbuilding going up in May...).

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Yeah Pete, the welder definately has its own bagage. I, like you, put if for a while. For me it was one of those tools that you ask yourself "Why did I wait so long to get it?". But, I do understand priorities.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think I NEED this! :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts