Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone ever use one of these or know if they are any good? I've got about 1500 feet of fence to get erected at my new place, just to get the place enclosed. Then i'm going to add a bit more to enclose my garden plot. I'm thinking of getting some mini goats in the future.

http://www.ruralking.com/wire-fence-stretcher-unroller.html

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2nd question...is my 1025R going to be heavy enough to stretch 300 feet of fence? I've put up lots of chain link fence, but never Farm fencing.....and I know for goats, I've got to have the fence with the 4" holes so the goats don't get stuck in it.....

I've watched a few videos at RedBrand Fence's website.......

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
2nd question...is my 1025R going to be heavy enough to stretch 300 feet of fence? I've put up lots of chain link fence, but never Farm fencing.....and I know for goats, I've got to have the fence with the 4" holes so the goats don't get stuck in it.....

I've watched a few videos at RedBrand Fence's website.......
When we use to put fencing up like this, we would stretch out a few hundred feet of the fence, take two 5 foot 2x4's sandwich the fencing between the 2x4's with bolts. I think we had 4 maybe 5 bolts. Tightened them up, take a chain around the center of the 2x4's and attach the other end to the tractor. Pulling only enough to tighten the fence, staple the fence to you posts and move tot he next section. We used a Farmall Cub C for the job and it worked out well. I would think the 1 series tractor would be equal to the C tractor. You are not trying to break the fence but get it stretched tight. Best cheapest way I know of.

·
Registered
702 Posts
When we use to put fencing up like this, we would stretch out a few hundred feet of the fence, take two 5 foot 2x4's sandwich the fencing between the 2x4's with bolts. I think we had 4 maybe 5 bolts. Tightened them up, take a chain around the center of the 2x4's and attach the other end to the tractor. Pulling only enough to tighten the fence, staple the fence to you posts and move tot he next section. We used a Farmall Cub C for the job and it worked out well. I would think the 1 series tractor would be equal to the C tractor. You are not trying to break the fence but get it stretched tight. Best cheapest way I know of.
^^^^This. Instead of 2x4's I use 2 pieces of angle iron with holes drilled in it for the bolts. No difference really. I use the tractor as an anchor for my come-along rather than trying to stretch it with the tractor under power. Much more control stretching by hand.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I use a four and a half foot 2 x 4 threaded through the field fence. You loose a little fence due to the pulling. The iron bar attached to the 2 x 4 and a 'come-along' or tractor provides the pull.

Fence Tools.jpg

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Fi-Shock Woven Wire Fence Stretcher - For Life Out Here

I have one of these. I used it on about 250 feet of fencing. A much cheaper solution but it might not be as efficient as what you are asking about.

How much does a reel of 1500' of fencing weigh? If your 3 pt can lift it then you are good, otherwise I think you need to consider doing it in small chunks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The rolls of fence are 330 feet long and weigh in at 265lbs each......so...i'll be doing 330 feet or less at any given time.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,687 Posts
The rolls of fence are 330 feet long and weigh in at 265lbs each......so...i'll be doing 330 feet or less at any given time.
Did you ever come up with a solution?

I'm doing some fence for a friend now and made my own "amish" stretcher similar to what Marlin described. I've come to the conclusion that I need to stretch if from the middle of a full roll, secure a few spots, then proceed to the far end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts