Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go out and use my grapple to tear down this fence that the previous owner put up to contain their dogs. They didn't build anyway to get into that area except through the house or garage.

Anyway, it occurred to me that unless I pull down the slats by hand, I might end up with a bunch of nails in the grass.

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
I doubt you'll end up with many nails in the lawn. They'll stay stuck in one board or another.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt you'll end up with many nails in the lawn. They'll stay stuck in one board or another.

Well we're gonna find out! Stay tuned to "what did you do with your SCUT today" thread for updates. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one of these. It helps. There are probably better ones for what you need.
Cool! I have a HD/Lowes run after this, not a bad idea for post tear down clean up. Thank you!

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
I am kind of OCD about stuff like this. My only choice would be to take it apart board by board and save it all for further projects.

Many times over the 20+ years we have been here I was able to complete a project with just the scrap lumber I have saved. There is no just running down to Lowe’s for me as it is a 3 hour round trip.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I drag an old speaker tied to a rope to collect nails and screws.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If you think there is any possibility you will ever have dogs, I would consider just putting in a gate and leaving the fence. Can really be good especially for puppies.
I was thinking that exact same thing. And, if you have kids or grandkids, it could be handy as well.

And, I'm like Stan - I'd probably take it apart piece by piece just because I find it easier to clean up that way. I don't understand the "home improvement" shows where they do demo with a sledge hammer and make a huge mess. When I had to redo my basement office, I ended up just unscrewing the drywall from the studs (hadn't been painted yet, so the screws were fairly easy to find) and pulled the drywall down in sheets. No muss, no fuss. Made a lot less mes and was easy to clean up. I'm getting ready to re-do my deck and will be unscrewing that board by board as well.

·
Registered
22,647 Posts
I was thinking that exact same thing. And, if you have kids or grandkids, it could be handy as well.

And, I'm like Stan - I'd probably take it apart piece by piece just because I find it easier to clean up that way. I don't understand the "home improvement" shows where they do demo with a sledge hammer and make a huge mess. When I had to redo my basement office, I ended up just unscrewing the drywall from the studs (hadn't been painted yet, so the screws were fairly easy to find) and pulled the drywall down in sheets. No muss, no fuss. Made a lot less mes and was easy to clean up. I'm getting ready to re-do my deck and will be unscrewing that board by board as well.
I agree. I see them destroy an entire kitchen with sledge hammers and saws that are much nicer than my kitchen. I know there has to be a market for the used cabinets and such.

And I agree about the mess. By taking the fence apart board by board you de-nail each board as you go and throw the nails in a coffee can. My father used to straighten used nails and use them - I haven’t gone that far....yet....

·
Registered
570 Posts
That fence, of course this is my thoughts, I doubt I would remove it. Depends on how much life is left in the wood. I might consider making it not quite so tall, and adding a drive-through gate. But that's me. If I did tear it down, it would come down in complete panels from post-to-post, while saving the posts. Someone else may want a fence if it's worthy of re-installing. Not to mention, a LOT less mess that needs to be burned, and/or stacked to have out of the way for potential resale. Again, that's me.

Meanwhile...:munch:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you think there is any possibility you will ever have dogs, I would consider just putting in a gate and leaving the fence. Can really be good especially for puppies.
I will never have pets.

It's down! I'm glad I took it down. It turns out that whomever installed it, didn't use concrete except on one post near the house. The rest were rotten and snapped off with hand pressure, much less grapple pressure. The bottoms of most of the planks were rotted as well, and harboring a lot of insects.

Going in.

Getting a grip.

Well that was super easy, I wonder why?

That's why.

A lot of times I was able to take entire panels.

All cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And now we know, the rest of the story.
So much for nude sunbathing in your back yard :laugh:

Yep, that fence was definitely on the way out :thumbup1gif:
Oh, I bought this place and the acreage around it so that I could do whatever I want in the back. :mocking: The fence didn't do anything for privacy, the location does. :good2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oh, I bought this place and the acreage around it so that I could do whatever I want in the back. :mocking: The fence didn't do anything for privacy, the location does. :good2:
Don't forget, also for the 'water front' feature :laugh:

·
Registered
368 Posts
... My father used to straighten used nails and use them - I haven’t gone that far....yet....
One of my childhood memories is right after my parents built a house. They saved all the pulled/dropped nails & they ended up mostly filling a washtub. Us 5/7/9 year old kids got tasked with straightening & sorting them into coffee cans. Probably took 6 months + to get through them all. Was still using those nails years later building tree forts, coaster-carts, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts