Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be removing some bushes and possible small tree's with from my landscaping this Spring. The tree has an approximate diameter of 6" or so. The bushes have a diameter of around 4" or so. I am hoping to use my loader in removing these the best I can. I tried to pull them out last year, but they wouldn't budge. I'm looking at possibly a Piranha Bar, etc. How would you use that in this application? Short ramming type movements to cut through the roots? Just looking for a little guidance here as I have never done this before. Thanks!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Rent a mini-excavator. The bigger the better, bigger will be faster.

I've had bushes that size I had BOTH my antique tractors chained to, both weighed about 7000# each at the time, one is 35 HP, other is 50 HP, both sitting with both rear wheels on concrete so traction was good.

Finally had to cut some roots with my P-C Tiger Saw to get them out.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Just took out some on Friday. One tree was 6-8 inches in diameter. It had to be done this time of year as the ground is so soft here in the midwest. Push the tree over by placing the loader against it about 6ft or so up on the tree. If successful, then put the edge of the loader bucket under the roots and dig it out. May take more than one attempt. Be aware that because the ground is so soft, that you will dig some serious ruts with the tractor wheels that will need to be fixed later. My ruts were so deep the undercarriage was dragging on my 4066R.

Dave

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Push the tree over by placing the loader against it about 6ft or so up on the tree.
Do NOT do that with a dead tree - or any tree that may break. They can (and do) break off up high and land on you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mini Excavator would be the best. A 260 BH would take some time to stump that much. It could be done. Ramming with the front bucket is not always the best, since you may break something......:greentractorride:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Uhmm Dynamite ? :mocking:

·
Premium Member
9,276 Posts
This is a good question to ask 1st....but there is no one answer.

The type of tree (and its root base), the condition of the soil, how tall the tree is, how big the limbs are, how healthy it is, and a lot more things have much to do with the "how".

Some pictures and a more detailed description would really help.

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
This is a good question to ask 1st....but there is no one answer.

The type of tree (and its root base), the condition of the soil, how tall the tree is, how big the limbs are, how healthy it is, and a lot more things have much to do with the "how".

Some pictures and a more detailed description would really help.

Agreed. Pines tend to have shallow root systems that spread sideways while most hardwoods tend to build root systems that go down instead of out. I've also found that evergreen shrubs with needles grow down while evergreen shrubs with leaves grow out.

Different techniques for different situations! :good2:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I will tell you that pulling out boxwoods along my house I could easily lift the rear of the tractor off the ground. But using a strap and chain they stood no chance when hooked to the low part of the draw bar under the PTO. They pulled right out with very little complaints. I was hoping to uproot with the loader, just not enough weight. Even with the rototiller attached, it was a no go. Had one scary moment where the tractor started to tilt sideways. I now use a cable between two points so it can self center.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I'm going to be removing some bushes and possible small tree's with from my landscaping this Spring. The tree has an approximate diameter of 6" or so. The bushes have a diameter of around 4" or so. I am hoping to use my loader in removing these the best I can. I tried to pull them out last year, but they wouldn't budge. I'm looking at possibly a Piranha Bar, etc. How would you use that in this application? Short ramming type movements to cut through the roots? Just looking for a little guidance here as I have never done this before. Thanks!
NOOO!!!!!!

DO NOT use the loader!!!!!! Very easy to bend the bucket.
I dug up an ornamental pear tree this past year. Even my 4510 and 48 bh had a hard time. If I was you, I'd get a whole lot of kerosene, dig a hole around Bush, pour kerosene on roots, and touch it off.

Do you have old chainsaw gas? Dump it around the roots, and wait for a week or two, then burn roots:fire:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
NOOO!!!!!!

DO NOT use the loader!!!!!! Very easy to bend the bucket.
I dug up an ornamental pear tree this past year. Even my 4510 and 48 bh had a hard time. If I was you, I'd get a whole lot of kerosene, dig a hole around Bush, pour kerosene on roots, and touch it off.

Do you have old chainsaw gas? Dump it around the roots, and wait for a week or two, then burn roots:fire:

Since I have the SSQA brackets and a very heavy duty skid steer 73 inch bucket on my 4066R, bending the bucket is the least of my worries. Even at my current weight of 6500 lbs with the 8 ft rear blade, I do not think I could bend it. Although the 53 inch bucket on my previous 1025R was much lighter duty, I suspect it would have been hard to bend it as it did not have enough weight or power. Clamp on forks would be another story, but I would never use them.

That 73 inch skid steer bucket is big!!!! I had a full bucket of wet clay today and the rear was light enough on a little slope that I needed 4WD to be able to move. That is with rear wheel weights and a 8 ft hydraulic angle rear blade.

Dave

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Do you have old chainsaw gas? Dump it around the roots, and wait for a week or two, then burn roots
Around here it is illegal to burn stumps that are in the ground. The fire can travel along roots long after you think it is out and start anew in a different location. It has even happened to someone here on GTT.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have removed a bunch of trees and bushes with my 24" landscape forks that I bought with my Artillian forks. I just push the forks in the ground and pop the roots. Works great!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'd use the backhoe but I guess thats not an option for you. I would not ever "RAM" anything with the front loader. Lots of expensive stuff gets broken that way as it is not designed for that use/abuse.
If you have a 4x4 truck the bush likley has no chance.Truck is much heavier.
Cinch chain down low and Pull,tug, do not yank,at least not harder than your hardware can take. if no truck try same approach with tractor,pull,tug ,repeat. patience. might also try cinching low and putting a 3or 4 foot 4x4 or 6x6 post between bush and puller. put lift/post at slight angle toward bush,one end on ground other end tilted toward bush,50 to 60 degree angle maybe,snug chain over top of post with weight of tractor, again, pull, tug. this will push the post down into the ground but the other end will be lifting upward. As you pull, the post will want to stand straight up giving a signifigant upward pull on the chain at the bush end. hope that make sense wish i could draw a picture for you. Ived used this method for many fence posts and a few bushes.
Patience. Don't RAM just dig and pull.
Piranah bar is on my list of nice to haves and it would likley already be on there were it not for the backhoe on the other end of my tractor. regardless, take your time and get a feel for things. You'll figure it out and there may be considerable sweat involved but don't hurt yourself or your machine. you'll want both to be around and undamaged for the many more jobs you'll tackle together.
Some one will have a great idea or you'll use a combination of ideas to get the job done. As for the tree well thats probably gonna take some digging OR saw it off 3 feet high, flat top, put a bird feeder, flower pot or whatever on top, plant some flowers around it and call it a flower bed.5 years later you can probably just push it over with your undamaged bucket.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Ya, agree - DO NOT ram it!!!

I've used my forks in the past. Spike them in under the trunk, and use an "up on the arms, curl down on the forks, as you drive ahead" maneuver. Curling up will just lift your back tires off the ground. You need to use the power of the tractor, and it's traction, to push it out, not yank it out.

We have pretty $hitty tree species around here - poplars mostly, some pine - so I'm not digging out old oaks or maple (wish we had those!!!) I'm guessing an old oak would need something much bigger!!!

-J.

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
Try a 7' SS bucket full of gravel sometime. I got a good fill and my rear end popped right up as soon as I tried lifting it. That'll wake you up in a hurry!
That sounds like an indicator that you didn't have enough rear ballast. With proper rear ballast, the loader hydraulics should go into bypass prior to the rear wheels coming off the ground.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts