Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was abruptly woke at 2:00 am this morning to a loud pow! Found that the tempered glass in my walk in shower shattered. WTH! Spent allot of money for custom cut glass and this happens? It has been about 1 1/2yrs since it was installed. I would like to think this should be replaced by the installer free of cost. Am I asking too much? I read on the web this happens actually quite frequently. Never heard of it before but I guess:dunno:

No signs of and bullet holes, no sudden swing in inside or outside temp. Anyone else heard of this or delt with the this?

IMG_20190316_100350.jpg

IMG_20190316_100402.jpg

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes, I've heard of it, usually when stress is induced during installation (twisting? sharp screw tip against the panel?) -- not after more than a year, though! It's probably too late to blame anything on the installer. Could your house be settling?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I actually had to look at the date of this thread. I could have sworn that someone else here had the same thing happen to them a year or so ago.

That's just so weird that it would randomly do that.

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I'll almost guarantee you that when you call the installer, they are going to tell you that your house shifted due to a freeze/thaw, high winds.. something.

If the house moves, the glass gets stressed because it can't flex and move with the house. If the stress level gets high enough, it shatters. That's one of the reasons there are usually gaps around the perimeter of glass when they install it. Then the glass can move within the gaps without building up stress.

It can't hurt to call them. Maybe they'll be good about it and just replace it for you since it hasn't been all that long.

·
Administrator
17,135 Posts
I actually had to look at the date of this thread. I could have sworn that someone else here had the same thing happen to them a year or so ago.
It was member MJNCAD with his shower doors. Didn't search for it though...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has silicone on three sides! All the room it needs to shift around. It was a shivering 45 degrees last night. Just don't get it. I think it has more to do with the process of how tempered glass is made.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Weird things happen. This caught my attention because early this morning we were awakened by a loud bang. I grabbed pistol and flashlight, everything inside and outside seemed fine.
This morning a large clock was missing off the wall. How it came up and over the screw into a walk stud, fell 7 feet onto a tiled concrete floor without breaking is a mystery.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weird things happen. This caught my attention because early this morning we were awakened by a loud bang. I grabbed pistol and flashlight, everything inside and outside seemed fine.
This morning a large clock was missing off the wall. How it came up and over the screw into a walk stud, fell 7 feet onto a tiled concrete floor without breaking is a mystery.

Great...now I have a haunted house. Time to sell.

·
Registered
12,315 Posts

Had that happen one night too, while we were sleeping and heard glass break. Like you, grabbed my 19 went into room clearing mode, found a large picture frame on the tile floor by the basement entrance. Hook still on the wall and hanger still on the back of the picture frame, both in tact. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
God, that's a beautiful shower...
Where have I gone so wrong?:banghead:

·
Registered
140 Posts
So I was abruptly woke at 2:00 am this morning to a loud pow! Found that the tempered glass in my walk in shower shattered. WTH! Spent allot of money for custom cut glass and this happens? It has been about 1 1/2yrs since it was installed. I would like to think this should be replaced by the installer free of cost. Am I asking too much? I read on the web this happens actually quite frequently. Never heard of it before but I guess:dunno:

No signs of and bullet holes, no sudden swing in inside or outside temp. Anyone else heard of this or delt with the this?

View attachment 676766

View attachment 676768
Did Bernie Sanders visit, I see he had stitches due to a SHOWER DOOR, JUST ASKING, :lolol:

Not looking for an answer really, Sorry to hear about the glass for sure. I have a similar set up only mine are floor to ceiling panels, 3 of them 1 door 2 solid, I would't be happy if one of those SHATTERED IN THE NIGHT, YIKES, GOOD LUCK with the replacement

WALTMART

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I tore out a pre fab fiberglass shower and used the kerdi system.

IMG_20170207_153030987.jpg

IMG_20170207_214712249.jpg

IMG_20170211_192411140.jpg

IMG_20170327_191814549.jpg

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did Bernie Sanders visit, I see he had stitches due to a SHOWER DOOR, JUST ASKING, :lolol:

Not looking for an answer really, Sorry to hear about the glass for sure. I have a similar set up only mine are floor to ceiling panels, 3 of them 1 door 2 solid, I would't be happy if one of those SHATTERED IN THE NIGHT, YIKES, GOOD LUCK with the replacement

WALTMART
If Bernie came in my house he wouldn't have stitches. He'd have holes...just saying.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

WALTMART
But in his case, it was clearly a case of extreme expansion due to his hot air. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
I have no explanation Big, but I had a similar event with a glass vase once. The vase had no known issues and I had it for years. It sat on a corner shelf in the bedroom, and one day I was working in there with my daughter. We were about 5-6 feet away from it doing some painting. Out of the blue, it split in half and fell to the floor. We looked at each other in amazement. Upon inspecting it, the break was clean and I could fit it back together perfectly. No air bubbles in the edges of the break and not a single shard of glass was found either. Nothing hit it to break it and I have no explanation as to what happened. All I could think is it may have had a stress when manufactured, or in some strange way a high frequency sound wave got to it and broke it. It's still a mystery.

Anyways, good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
We had one panel of a double glass, argon filled window in a sliding glass door fail like that,,
the door was 20 years old, that was 15 years ago,

I studied that type of glass in school,,
all it takes,, is the correct type of minor scratch or tap,, and the glass will fail.

Watch "COPS!" tv show,,, they will beat on the car door window repeatedly with a billie club,,, without failing the glass,,

BUT,,

hit the same window with the slight tap of one of those "rescue tool" tips,, and the window will shatter.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Great...now I have a haunted house. Time to sell.
Why? It could be fun......after all, Casper was a friendly ghost. What's to say you don't have a "Casper"? Or even better, a "Casper ette"?

Your Front End Loader position indicator rod didn't make contact with your Mauser cab windshield and ............Oh wait....that was someone else..

In January when it was very cold outside, we were eating dinner and I heard a LOUD "POP, POP. POP"........It sounded like my .28 gauge shotgun going off.

The deck boards were popping apparently from the cold's impact on the wood. Poor Sulley Bear (the real one who is a German Shepherd...) had gone out through the garage service door and she was headed to come into the house through the sliding doors in the great room. She came up the steps and as soon as she started across the deck, about every 2nd or 3rd step the wood would POP very loudly.

She acted like someone was shooting at her when she came in the door in a scurry. She hasn't been back out through the deck doors since. Now she goes out through the garage service door every time.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,353 Posts
Did you look at the ceiling really closely for any possible small hole?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts