Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 1025r. For just one project I'd like to use a hydraulic top link. If I get the right hoses, can I simply disconnect my loader and run 2 of the lines to the rear? Long term, diverter, etc....but is there anything wrong with this setup for short term?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,059 Posts
Not at all. Lots of folks do that. In fact, JD offers a kit on some tractors to extend the four mid-SCV ports to the rear.

It might be best to remove the loader temporarily so the boom or bucket doesn't change position while disconnected.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Length will depend on how you intend to route them. When measuring, give yourself sufficient play to avoid any unintentional kinking or stretching. Once you have the length figured, you ought to be able to find a suitable match at your local farm supply store (Farm & Fleet, Rural King, Tractor Supply, etc.). If they don't have it, look up a local hydraulic shop and I bet they can get you squared away.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I just ordered hoses from Surplus Center at a reasonable rate.

·
Registered
2019 2025R with Loader, Backhoe, 54D Mower, Forks, Rear Snowblower, Box Blade
122 Posts
2013 1025r. For just one project I'd like to use a hydraulic top link. If I get the right hoses, can I simply disconnect my loader and run 2 of the lines to the rear? Long term, diverter, etc....but is there anything wrong with this setup for short term?

Thanks
What a great idea for a short-term, occasional solution, for a top link. I have a 2025R but can I ask how long you ended up going for the hoses for your 1025R? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Measuring, as with a tape measure, for hose length can be difficult. Tie string or small rope where one end attaches. Mark end of fitting on string/rope. Route string/rope where you want it to go and the to top link. Mark. Remove string/rope, lay out flat, and NOW measure with a tape measure! Bob

·
Registered
122 Posts
EVT can I ask what length you chose to go with? Thanks.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I used a piece of garden hose marked at 6” intervals to figure out the routing and length of hose needed.

I also found that surplus center had good quality hoses that were reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
EVT can I ask what length you chose to go with? Thanks.
Hi CityBoy.
My application was totally different. I designed a hydraulic backhoe thumb so my hoses had to go from the new cylinder up the dipper stick, down the boom, under the backhoe where the other hoses run and then up to the rear SCV I installed. I purchased 12 foot hoses to be safe. They were $58.20 a piece.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Hi CityBoy.
My application was totally different. I designed a hydraulic backhoe thumb so my hoses had to go from the new cylinder up the dipper stick, down the boom, under the backhoe where the other hoses run and then up to the rear SCV I installed. I purchased 12 foot hoses to be safe. They were $58.20 a piece.
Correction. $58.20 for 2 hoses.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
I took clothes line and marked it in 1 foot increments with a sharpie. Routed the lines and then counted the marks.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Simple is best. Marking a string is too much work. Use a garden hose (it's about the same diameter of a hydraulic hose and will kink if too sharp of a bend.), start with the end at the QC fitting then route the hose to your destination. Mark the garden hose. Lay hose out straight, use a tape measure. Include the fitting lengths and that is the length of hose you want.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have ordered several hydraulic hoses, connectors, couplers, adapters, fittings, etc., from Surplus Center and they have all been well made and true to specified length. AND they were much, MUCH cheaper than the very limited offerings from Tractor Supply. Plus they are located in Nebraska so I got them super quick!

I would recommend using the garden hose to measure trick - but realize that even 1/4" hydraulic hoses are very stiff and cannot make very tight bends.

EDIT: I would just add that it is a lot easier to curl up a hose that is too long than to stretch one that is too short (it is practically impossible to stretch a hydraulic hose). You will probably find that an extra foot (or two) will make things easier to work with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.