Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a X590 in Late April 2021 and it was delivered at the end of June 2021. The first thing that I did when the machine was delivered was to set the proper tire pressures and level the mower deck. One would think that they should all be correct when a new machine is delivered, but they were not. They were all WAY off! Next it was on to installing the accessories. Installing the Mulch On Demand kit required that the mower deck had to be removed. I used that opportunity to treat it with several coats of non-stick spray. I have used various products on my mowers and snow blowers over the years but the one that works the best for me is made by GUNK. GUNK “Mower Deck Spray” is a Teflon based product. I have found that it holds up well and it works great! I also applied a thin coating of automotive “dri wash n guard” to the rest of the painted surfaces. Plastic surfaces were treated with 303 Protectant. I have used those products for many years on my cars, trucks and motorcycles. They make cleanup a breeze. Them make ‘em look good too!

In the weeks while I was waiting for my machine to arrive I did a lot of reading of the manuals and watching YouTube videos about the X500 series. I noticed the struggles that many people were having removing and reinstalling the mower deck. I found the problem to be the left rear deck hanger bracket getting in the way. I found a simple solution that worked well for me. Basically, just tie it up and out of the way! Again, I will post a separate thread with pictures so that it may be easier to find by others that have the same difficulty as shown in the YouTube videos. It is really quite easy to do now.

I also found a solution to that confounded odd size belt tension release slot that so many people complain about causing the slot to get rounded out over time. It is too small for a ½” socket wrench and too large for a 3/8” socket wrench to fit properly. Again, there will be a separate thread with pictures and part numbers for a solution that worked for me.

So how well does the X590 work?

First, I am VERY pleased with how well the X590 performs. Thanks to the power steering, the maneuverability is exceptional! The mower that I had for the past five years was a Cub Cadet Commercial series zero turn mower. It was the model with a steering wheel that had four wheel steering. Because of that, it did track on the slopes reasonably well without having to crab the slope. I was very pleased with that machine, but that is not relevant here. However, what is relevant is that the X590 is so quick and easy to turn that I find it to be more maneuverable than the zero turn machine was. The X590 does almost turn in its own footprint. No, I can’t turn a donut around a 1” sapling, but I never wanted or needed to do that anyway!

The ride comfort is outstanding, especially as compared to the zero-turn machine! The seat is large and firm and has adjustments for different rider weights. My only problem with it is that I get “swampasz”, as some would call it. (Bonus points if you know where that reference originates.) I found that sitting on a towel helps the, err, seat, yeah the seat, to breathe a bit. I just may have to get a sheepskin seat cover like I had on my Harley to keep things cool and dry. Other than that, it’s a great seat!

Those HDAP tires are excellent! They do everything that I hoped that they would do. They hold on the long slope beside my home like I am on rails. They also do not pick up every stinkin’ dog pile that I miss picking up before I mow. The old machine as well as the front turf tires on the X590 hold onto every bit like it is epoxy. The HDAP tires just don’t hold onto it much at all. If they do, it is quick and easy to wash away with the garden hose.

The Mulch-On-Demand kit using the included JD mulching blades works GREAT! I love it! It has been a pretty wet spring and summer so far here in the mountains of Central Pennsylvania. The grass is thick and healthy. With eight mows in so far, some with rather tall grass with a good bit of moisture in it, the MOD worked out very well. When the grass is unusually tall and/or damp, I am able to open the chute on the fly when necessary. Even under those conditions I am able to leave it closed and mulch 90% of the time. If I want to, I go back over those areas with the MOD closed. Perfect! When it is normal height and normal dry conditions I can mulch the entire time. When mowing with the MOD closed, the X590 does not leave corn rows (if that is the correct term) on the right side as the Cub frequently did. The X590 with the Mulch On Demand kit outperforms the Cub Cadet Commercial zero turn mower with a permanently installed mulch kit. I was very pleased with the Cub’s performance and cut quality, but this is definitely better! I believe that the key to it working so well has been the two or three coats of GUNK Teflon based non-stick spray that I applied. The GUNK Mower Deck Spray worked well at keeping my previous machines clean too.

That leads to the next related point, the wash port. Again, it works great for me. And again, I have to credit GUNK for allowing it to work so well. The wash port in conjunction with opening and closing the MOD chute works great! I run the mower at full speed on my paved driveway with the water on for three to five minutes after each mow. Opening and closing the MOD chute several times helps the process of cleaning the deck. When the water runs clear I know that I am done with the water. Running the mower deck without the water for a few minutes more helps to dry the underside of the deck. I am also very pleased that there is very little, if any, grass on top of the deck at the end of mowing. The zero turn machine had a LOT all over the top of the deck, under the chassis and throughout the engine compartment. It was a mess! It took a long time to clean that machine before putting it away. Other than what I mentioned above, as meticulous as I am, there is little else that needs to be done with the X590. Note that I do plan to apply another coat of GUNK midway through the season in a few weeks and again at the end of the season prior to winter storage.

Ok, how is the cut quality on the X590? (About time, eh?)

It’s excellent! The lawn is nice and level with no ridges and, thanks to the MOD kit, no clumps or cut grass lying on top. I also cut the amount of mowing with a push mower in half since I sold the zero turn mower and now mow with the X590. That is huge for me! Frankly, I did not expect that. The X590 is incredibly nimble and it just does not scalp some of the tight or difficult spots in and around my yard as the Cub zero turn machine did and as the JD 212 did. In addition, being able to raise and lower the mower deck so easily allows the inevitable tight turns to be very nice and level, especially if they are on a bit of a slope.

I did order and install the Bluetooth Mower Plus gadget. I ordered it to help keep track of maintenance intervals and requirements, and because it looked kind of novel, if nothing else. It’s a gadget. It can track your mowing track and pattern. I am not sure why that is necessary, but it can do it for you. It shows your track superimposed on a Google Earth picture of your property. I suppose if you are a farmer and want to track your progress and history as you work the back forty, OK. For the average homeowner like me, at this point it’s just a gadget. I forgot to start the APP on my phone before mowing the last two times. The APP uses GPS so it really drains the battery in the phone. Keep an eye on that. Maybe it will help to remind me about some service interval that I could otherwise miss. I think there may be some service videos available on it too. I have read some posts elsewhere on this forum from owners of very large farm equipment that have concerns about their versions of it, but for different reasons.

Lastly (I think) the X590 is quiet! Well, not silent like a Prius in a Wal-Mart parking lot, but it is a heck of a lot more quiet than the Zero turn machine was. It is right on the edge of needing to wear hearing protection. Because this machine is still somewhat new to me and I want to hear what “normal” sounds like, I have not been wearing hearing protection so far. It may not be necessary but I may do it anyway just to be safe.

Well, that’s about it, so far anyway. If you managed to read this far you do get the GTT award to stamina.

If you haven’t had quite enough, watch for the threads with details about the Belt tension release tool, Mower deck removal difficulty with a fix, and handling a heavy mower deck using a hoist. They will follow shortly.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My dad got one last fall. He seems to like it. I only ran it a little, I hauled it home for him. I drove it off the trailer and made a lap around his yard with. I will more than likely be using it to clear his driveway this winter as my parents are planning to go to Texas for the winter unless things get really bad again.

·
Registered
2016 X590
112 Posts
I ordered a X590 in Late April 2021 and it was delivered at the end of June 2021.......

Hi Bruce,
I've had my 590 since 2016.
My thoughts:
Deck removal/installation:
  • The direction you remove/install the deck matters. I think the right side is easier.
  • After using a while, I cut about an inch off the top of the front anti-scalp wheel mounting rod to make clearing the pully easier.
  • Lift arm adjustment - did not allow the full tension to be released when the deck is in the full lower position with wheel turned for removal. Required me to lift the deck to pull or install the pins. Solution was to adjust the arms down about 1/4". Easily compensation for by deck height adjustment.
I take it off/on almost each time I mow because I use the tractor and cart to take wood out of the woods.
Power-flow:
  • Requires deck adjustment every time you remove and install it.
  • I moved on to a Cyclone Rake.
Hitch - I have the power sleeve hitch.
  • Easy on/off
  • I have landscape rake which I like.
  • I use the hitch to move around small trailers and my log splitter. Great for this!
  • A box blade is next on my list.
  • Stays on most of the time unless using the cyclone rake.
Front blade:
  • Good for snow but switched to a snow blower.
  • Bad - doesn't lift high enough to clear rough terrain.
  • I use it to spread loose material - works well.
Power Shovel:
  • Good for moving mulch and other loose material.
  • I do us it to move gravel but don't push it into the pile hard.
  • Easy on/off.
  • Can do much of what the front blade can do pushing loose material but but not as rugged so I use the blade for gravel and alike.
Would I buy again?
Yes but because I take the deck on/off so much a X700 series would have been better.
Now that I am retired, I see a SCUT in my future, 1025R maybe.
Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wish I had the same results and experience with my X590 ( just crossed 200 hours) but I do not get the cutting results that produce a great looking lawn. I too have removed and re-leveled the deck several times, adjusted tire pressures, tried several different blades, applied teflon coating to underside of deck and scrape the deck clean after each mowing. I find that the MOD kit restricts the grass clippings too much and the underside of the deck gets clogged pretty quickly and then the rest of the lawn gets a so-so cut due to the clogged deck. I love the tractor itself and have no complaints with the X590 except the deck. I mow 1-acre of KB twice a week at 4". I fight grass layover and get poor lifting from the Deere deck even with Gator G-5 blades. I have removed the entire MOD kit and baffles and see very little change except less clogging on the very left blade. As a test......this weekend I am testing a Simplicity Courier XT and am amazed at the difference. The WOW factor is a 10. Great even cut, great stripes, great maneuverability, no lay over, and the underside of the deck is clean as a whistle. I am going to seriously consider selling the X590 and make the move to the Courier XT. As much as I wanted the X590 to be my last tractor purchase, I am disappointed beyond belief. I am happy you and the other JD fans are getting the great results you expected. I am not bashing JD or the X590 at all........it just didn't work out for me on my lawn. 2019 X590 with HDAP & mod kit. 200 hours and clean. $ 6,600 if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I had the same results and experience with my X590 ( just crossed 200 hours) but I do not get the cutting results that produce a great looking lawn. I too have removed and re-leveled the deck several times, adjusted tire pressures, tried several different blades, applied teflon coating to underside of deck and scrape the deck clean after each mowing. I find that the MOD kit restricts the grass clippings too much and the underside of the deck gets clogged pretty quickly and then the rest of the lawn gets a so-so cut due to the clogged deck. I love the tractor itself and have no complaints with the X590 except the deck. I mow 1-acre of KB twice a week at 4". I fight grass layover and get poor lifting from the Deere deck even with Gator G-5 blades. I have removed the entire MOD kit and baffles and see very little change except less clogging on the very left blade. As a test......this weekend I am testing a Simplicity Courier XT and am amazed at the difference. The WOW factor is a 10. Great even cut, great stripes, great maneuverability, no lay over, and the underside of the deck is clean as a whistle. I am going to seriously consider selling the X590 and make the move to the Courier XT. As much as I wanted the X590 to be my last tractor purchase, I am disappointed beyond belief. I am happy you and the other JD fans are getting the great results you expected. I am not bashing JD or the X590 at all........it just didn't work out for me on my lawn. 2019 X590 with HDAP & mod kit. 200 hours and clean. $ 6,600 if anyone is interested.
Wow, that sure does sound disappointing. I am sorry to hear about it. I cut just short of one acre at at 3 1/2 inches so things sound pretty similar, yet the results are very different.
Just a wild guess, is there a chance that the belt routing is not correct? Could the center blade be turning backwards? I don’t know if that is even possible, but it sure would do a terrible job and make a heck of a mess. It could also explain why the grass is laying over. Mine definitely does not do that.
I will say that the Simplicity machines were a close second choice for me. They would have been at the top of the list if I walked away from the John Deere machine. Whatever you do, I hope that you get things sorted out a can leave the frustration behind.

·
Registered
2013 Camaro 1LE
46 Posts
You didn’t mention if you have the 48 or 54.

The wind rows you mention were also an issue with the 54C Convertible/Edge decks. Deere has an “anti-clipping drop kit” to resolve the issue. That’s neither here nor there for your setup, but figured I’d mention for comparison.

I’m more impressed you got a new machine this season since they’re virtually unobtainium anymore.:cool:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wow, that sure does sound disappointing. I am sorry to hear about it. I cut just short of one acre at at 3 1/2 inches so things sound pretty similar, yet the results are very different.
Just a wild guess, is there a chance that the belt routing is not correct? Could the center blade be turning backwards? I don’t know if that is even possible, but it sure would do a terrible job and make a heck of a mess. It could also explain why the grass is laying over. Mine definitely does not do that.
I will say that the Simplicity machines were a close second choice for me. They would have been at the top of the list if I walked away from the John Deere machine. Whatever you do, I hope that you get things sorted out a can leave the frustration behind.

The wind rows you mention were also an issue with the 54C Convertible/Edge decks. Deere has an “anti-clipping drop kit” to resolve the issue. That’s neither here nor there for your setup, but figured I’d mention for comparison.

I’m more impressed you got a new machine this season since they’re virtually unobtainium anymore.:cool:
My x590 has the 48" deck

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have an X590 with 48C deck and Power Flow bagger. I have to remove the deck and scrape it after every mowing. I mow at 3-1/2". I get at least two (2) 5gal buckets of grass clippings when cleaning the deck. The hardest part is cleaning the power flow head.
I ordered a new X590 in May. It is at the dealer but waiting on the bag hopper.

I am interested in trying the GUNK on the new deck. Where did you buy the GUNK?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have the 48” mower deck. And you are correct, I don’t have an issue with the “wind rows” at all. And what the heck is a corn row anyway? Thanks for the update!

I did get serious about updating my mower in early April. I ordered it at the end of April. The salesman called in a favor from one of their other locations that had an X590 on order and was already scheduled for production and delivery at the end of June. In spite of my being patient, if the ETA was projected to be much longer I would be mowing with a competitors machine right now. The man made disruptions to the supply chain are…. Nope, not gonn’a do it. Not now. Not here. ;-)

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an X590 with 48C deck and Power Flow bagger. I have to remove the deck and scrape it after every mowing. I mow at 3-1/2". I get at least two (2) 5gal buckets of grass clippings when cleaning the deck. The hardest part is cleaning the power flow head.
I ordered a new X590 in May. It is at the dealer but waiting on the bag hopper.

I am interested in trying the GUNK on the new deck. Where did you buy the GUNK?
Oh man! Having to remove the deck before each mow to scrape the deck must be a real PIA! I don’t have any experience with the Power Flow Bagger since I just mulch everything when I mow. I sure hope that the GUNK and the wash port can save you all that work and aggravation. If you try it, I will be curious to see if it works for you too.

If I recall correctly, the first can came from Tractor Supply. I recall having a hard time finding them again so they probably came Via Amazon. I have used various silicone based sprays in the past but the GUNK teflon based spray definitely works better for me. I don’t know how well it will work if you have to spray it on top of a silicone spray. Maybe a good flush with Simple Green and/or alcohol might help it to adhere to your equipment.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been thinking about your dilemma. I do have to wonder if the belt is on the wrong side of the center spindle pulley. Again, I am only taking a wild guess.
I am sure that there are plenty of diagrams and pictures out there but if it will help you, I can pull my mower deck off and take some pictures. I will be more than happy to do it for you. I have the 48 inch deck. If you have the 54” deck my pictures won’t help very much, but the concept of the routing will at lest be similar.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have been thinking about your dilemma. I do have to wonder if the belt is on the wrong side of the center spindle pulley. Again, I am only taking a wild guess.
I am sure that there are plenty of diagrams and pictures out there but if it will help you, I can pull my mower deck off and take some pictures. I will be more than happy to do it for you. I have the 48 inch deck. If you have the 54” deck my pictures won’t help very much, but the concept of the routing will at lest be similar.
I think I have the belts routed correct ( I took photos of everything when the unit was delivered) and the blades are on correctly………but I will recheck tomorrow Just to make double certain. A photo of your belt configuration would confirm. Mine is a x590-48” with the MOD kit for mulching. All 3 blades should rotate the same direction ( clockwise as you look down from the seat) if I remember correctly.
Geeze…….now that I am writing this reply, I’m starting to have doubts……

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I have the belts routed correct ( I took photos of everything when the unit was delivered) and the blades are on correctly………but I will recheck tomorrow Just to make double certain. A photo of your belt configuration would confirm. Mine is a x590-48” with the MOD kit for mulching. All 3 blades should rotate the same direction ( clockwise as you look down from the seat) if I remember correctly.
Clearly there is something different that is causing our results to be so different. Our machines and their configuration seem to be identical. I will remove the deck and take some pictures tomorrow. I sure hope that it can be resolved with simply rerouting a belt.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Clearly there is something different that is causing our results to be so different. Our machines and their configuration seem to be identical. I will remove the deck and take some pictures tomorrow. I sure hope that it can be resolved with simply rerouting a belt.
One more thing. I accidentally ordered the wrong set of replacement blades for my previous machine, It was a Cub Cadet Commercial zero turn machine with a full time mulch kit installed. I ordered the original replacement blades based on the part number, not the mulching blades as I should have ordered. They appeared to be similar but not identical. The difference was the rear of the blades that caused increased lift on the standard blades that I ordered. I put them on and tried to mow. The deck loaded up so severely that it actually caused the 19HP V-twin engine to stall when it couldn’t handle the load. The nasty green slurry that it dropped was really heavy. I determined that the problem was that the new standard blades were high enough lift that the deck just couldn’t unload the grass clippings fast enough. The grass clippings were trapped above the spinning high lift blades. The mulching blades did not have the amaount of lift that the standard blades had. And the blades that came with the mulch kit certainly did not have anywhere near the amount of lift that aftermarket mulching blades had that were intended to be used WITHOUT the mulch baffles installed. It was the combination of high lift “standard” blades and the permanently installed mulch baffles that caused the deck to load up and the engine to stall. So, I think that using standard or, worse yet, high lift mulching blades, with mulch baffles installed is a recipe for very bad things to happen, as I experienced. If you have mulching bafffles installed, use LOW lift blades, not standard blades, and certainly not high lift blades. That has been my experience and my opinion so far. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Oh man! Having to remove the deck before each mow to scrape the deck must be a real PIA!
Yes a real PIA but a necessary evil. I use a 3/8" drive ratchet to remove the deck drive belt tension. Not the best design in my opinion. One time I did not remove and clean the deck after mowing. The leftover clippings were like cement. Since then I remove it after every mowing. BTW, I don't use the hose cleanout because of potential water/moisture damage to the spindle bearings. Also my dealer advised me not to use water to cleanout the power flow head.

I am going to search for the GUNK spray. I want to spray the new deck and PF head before mowing. It will be interesting to see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes a real PIA but a necessary evil. I use a 3/8" drive ratchet to remove the deck drive belt tension. Not the best design in my opinion. One time I did not remove and clean the deck after mowing. The leftover clippings were like cement. Since then I remove it after every mowing. BTW, I don't use the hose cleanout because of potential water/moisture damage to the spindle bearings. Also my dealer advised me not to use water to cleanout the power flow head.

I am going to search for the GUNK spray. I want to spray the new deck and PF head before mowing. It will be interesting to see if it helps.
I hope that the GUNK spray works as well fo you as it does for me. If you have silicone based spray on your equipment now you may have to try to remove it so that the teflon spray can adhere to the surfaces. I do grease the spindles frequently so I am not concerned about water damage. I am going to pull the mower deck off the machine today for unrelated reasons. I will post pictures of what it looks like exactly as it is when it comes off. There is eight mows and ten hours on the machine. I have not pulled the deck off or scraped it since it was new. There does not appear to be any buildup just looking in through the discharge chute, but we will see very soon.

I found a solution to the problem of rounding out the belt tension release slot. I am about to post a new thread about that in the next day or so with part numbers and pictures.

·
Registered
287 Posts
One more thing. I accidentally ordered the wrong set of replacement blades for my previous machine, It was a Cub Cadet Commercial zero turn machine with a full time mulch kit installed. I ordered the original replacement blades based on the part number, not the mulching blades as I should have ordered. They appeared to be similar but not identical. The difference was the rear of the blades that caused increased lift on the standard blades that I ordered. I put them on and tried to mow. The deck loaded up so severely that it actually caused the 19HP V-twin engine to stall when it couldn’t handle the load. The nasty green slurry that it dropped was really heavy. I determined that the problem was that the new standard blades were high enough lift that the deck just couldn’t unload the grass clippings fast enough. The grass clippings were trapped above the spinning high lift blades. The mulching blades did not have the amaount of lift that the standard blades had. And the blades that came with the mulch kit certainly did not have anywhere near the amount of lift that aftermarket mulching blades had that were intended to be used WITHOUT the mulch baffles installed. It was the combination of high lift “standard” blades and the permanently installed mulch baffles that caused the deck to load up and the engine to stall. So, I think that using standard or, worse yet, high lift mulching blades, with mulch baffles installed is a recipe for very bad things to happen, as I experienced. If you have mulching bafffles installed, use LOW lift blades, not standard blades, and certainly not high lift blades. That has been my experience and my opinion so far. Your mileage may vary.
I have experienced very similar results. The standard blades are fine for side discharge but don't mulch well. The high lift blades are OK for side discharge and they do lift more lay-over grass and are great for leaves in the fall but they do cause increased deck build-up as they beat the cut grass and create a clogging effect. Mulching blades are Ok for side discharge and probably better for mulching but I find that if I cut 2X per week ( every 4th day) I am taking off less cuttings anyway which disappear quickly. Mulching blades normally benefit from the added baffles but the extra build up has to be scraped often in order for the system to work. I find that I need to use standard blades in the Spring with the wet grass, I can switch to mulching blades during the hotter part of the summer, and switch to high lift blades for a few weeks during the Fall leaf season.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are the pictures that I just took. I hope that the bottom picture is different than yours.
I will be back in a couple of hours.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Green

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Light

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Yellow
Light Motor vehicle Yellow Gas Auto part

·
Registered
2021 1025R, 2016 x580
653 Posts
Yes a real PIA but a necessary evil. I use a 3/8" drive ratchet to remove the deck drive belt tension. Not the best design in my opinion. ...
I use my 3/8 drive torque wrench since it is longer (14 inches) and that allows me to use a plastic wire tie to secure it to the vertical bracket, freeing up both hands to do other things.

·
Registered
2013 Camaro 1LE
46 Posts
Here are the pictures that I just took. I hope that the bottom picture is different than yours.
I will be back in a couple of hours.
I see you have the electronic MOD - I’m guess there’s never been any hang up with grass or debris holding that actuator up with how clean you keep the deck. How “strong” would you say that actuator is? How about the plug setup? Easy to keep out of the way and easy to access to unplug when pulling the deck? Any second thoughts that maybe the manual knob would have been sufficient?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.