Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have experience with Trimec and Tenacity in a tank mix?

I have read both labels, but they don't specify anything about mixing the two, other than doing a jar test.

I'm wondering if the two are compatible as a mix, and if the combination can be applied without turf damage. Has anybody tried it?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might ask your question on Do My Own - Do It Yourself Pest Control, Lawn Care, Gardening, Equipment & Animal Care Products & Supplies.

Seems like its been asked there, but not answered well.
The one similar question I found said that it would likely be ok as a spot spray, but not broadcast.
To me, if you can spray any of it, you should be able to spray it all, but then that would mean youd need to test a small amount to see if the two actually will mix ok with each other.
I looked there, and yes, the answer is a bit vacuous. They sell the stuff, so they probably have to be careful to not say anything that isn't backed up by the label.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What are you trying to kill with the tenacity?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Sometimes herbicides don't play well together

Might ask your question on Do My Own - Do It Yourself Pest Control, Lawn Care, Gardening, Equipment & Animal Care Products & Supplies.

Seems like its been asked there, but not answered well.
The one similar question I found said that it would likely be ok as a spot spray, but not broadcast.
To me, if you can spray any of it, you should be able to spray it all, but then that would mean youd need to test a small amount to see if the two actually will mix ok with each other.
Sometimes tank mixes just don't work. The ingredients might cause one or both to separate out or clump up. Sometimes the combo together become more effective and the mfg recommends different application rates of an ingredient than if it's applied alone. Sometimes the ingredients actually counter act each other. If it's not on the label, it's probably for a reason but you can usually email the tech people at the mfg. and get an answer.

Actually, if it's not on the label and there isn't a subsequent revised label, I think it's illegal to apply most restricted use products off label. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it has some unique issues.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nimblewill and bentgrass.
Bent can’t be hard to kill at times. Seems like the tenacity just turns it white and then it comes right back. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t tank mix these. I’ve never had issues mixing herbicides. Just don’t spray them when it’s insanely hot outside.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bent can’t be hard to kill at times. Seems like the tenacity just turns it white and then it comes right back. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t tank mix these. I’ve never had issues mixing herbicides. Just don’t spray them when it’s insanely hot outside.
I’ll let you know how it turns out. I will be taking advantage Of the cooler weather that is forecast for the next few days and getting my spraying done.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I've used that tank mix twice this year and it was fine. The two do not interfere with each other.

Tenacity needs a surfactant for post-emergent use, which is what you're doing if you're trying to kill bentgrass. Trimec on the other hand should not be used with a surfactant per the label. It could cause the trimec to lose it's selectivity and kill desired grass. It doesn't happen all the time and I think it's somewhat conditional. I used a surfactant and it didn't inadvertently kill my tall fescue lawn. Up to you if you want to take that risk.

Tenacity is not labeled to kill bentgrass. At best, it may annoy the bentgrass but probably not kill it. Tenacity would probably be an expensive exercise in futility. IDK what would be better since I don't have bentgrass.

I'll be doing quite a bit of spraying the next few days too since it is no longer 1,000,000 degrees.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've used that tank mix twice this year and it was fine. The two do not interfere with each other.

Tenacity needs a surfactant for post-emergent use, which is what you're doing if you're trying to kill bentgrass. Trimec on the other hand should not be used with a surfactant per the label. It could cause the trimec to lose it's selectivity and kill desired grass. It doesn't happen all the time and I think it's somewhat conditional. I used a surfactant and it didn't inadvertently kill my tall fescue lawn. Up to you if you want to take that risk.

Tenacity is not labeled to kill bentgrass. At best, it may annoy the bentgrass but probably not kill it. Tenacity would probably be an expensive exercise in futility. IDK what would be better since I don't have bentgrass.

I'll be doing quite a bit of spraying the next few days too since it is no longer 1,000,000 degrees.
Tenacity is definitely labeled for post emergence control of creeping bent. I just looked it up. It was recommended for us to use for that purpose by our regional USGA agronomist. We’ve given up trying to kill it though and these days it’s pretty much everywhere it’s not supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I must have been thinking of something else with the bentgrass. Looks like it is a PITA to kill will require multiple treatments.

:gizmo::gizmo:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...We’ve given up trying to kill it though and these days it’s pretty much everywhere it’s not supposed to be.
I liked this despite the message...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I must have been thinking of something else with the bentgrass. Looks like it is a PITA to kill will require multiple treatments.

:gizmo::gizmo:
I liked this despite the message...
It’s especially tough to control in a golf course situation. We have a little over 30 acres that we want to keep pure healthy bent grass. Then there’s another 40 acres scattered about that we’d prefer to be pure ky blue and tall fescue. Unfortunately, especially given the wet weather, the bent is taking over a lot of places we’d rather it not be. Plus my boss doesn’t like the look of things tenacity kills. Big white patches of grass aren’t really aesthetically pleasing. If it was me, I’d spray the tenacity to kill bent and suppress poa, but it’s almost too late for that now. This would’ve had to be nipped in the butt years ago.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It’s especially tough to control in a golf course situation. We have a little over 30 acres that we want to keep pure healthy bent grass. Then there’s another 40 acres scattered about that we’d prefer to be pure ky blue and tall fescue. Unfortunately, especially given the wet weather, the bent is taking over a lot of places we’d rather it not be. Plus my boss doesn’t like the look of things tenacity kills. Big white patches of grass aren’t really aesthetically pleasing. If it was me, I’d spray the tenacity to kill bent and suppress poa, but it’s almost too late for that now. This would’ve had to be nipped in the butt years ago.

Good post!

Sounds like you have some real turf experience.

The Superintendent at the private course I now play was the Superintendent at another local course years back. The 18th green had bent grass take over the surrounds of the green and it was damm near impossible to chip out of it because it was so thick. Bent at 4" takes herculean effort to play out of.

I'll ask him what he did. I know he used a product that took care of it but I know it took several apps to do so. A casual search suggest Tenacity is the correct product to use.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Good post!

Sounds like you have some real turf experience.

The Superintendent at the private course I now play was the Superintendent at another local course years back. The 18th green had bent grass take over the surrounds of the green and it was damm near impossible to chip out of it because it was so thick. Bent at 4" takes herculean effort to play out of.

I'll ask him what he did. I know he used a product that took care of it but I know it took several apps to do so. A casual search suggest Tenacity is the correct product to use.
We have to keep our rough cut pretty low because our clientele is generally not low handicappers. We keep it around 2.5 inches. It’s still hard to hit out of bent despite the lower height.

I’ve been working in the golf business for about 13 seasons and have a turf degree from Penn State. My home lawn is mostly clover, so keep this info on the DL...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
... and have a turf degree from Penn State. My home lawn is mostly clover, so keep this info on the DL...
:bigthumb: on the PSU degree (my alma mater-Biology, 1974), and your secret is safe with us!

·
Registered
189 Posts
We have to keep our rough cut pretty low because our clientele is generally not low handicappers. We keep it around 2.5 inches. It’s still hard to hit out of bent despite the lower height.

I’ve been working in the golf business for about 13 seasons and have a turf degree from Penn State. My home lawn is mostly clover, so keep this info on the DL...

I have a small lawn care business. I work 9 days/year and only do lawns that are at least an acre. Even still for a one man band I spread 3600#s in two days. I only use high end products at max rate and strive for the minimum # of apps. Generally 3 apps, spray 1. Pre M and T-zone together, and 2. fertilize in the Spring. Generally fertilize (3rd app) just before the heat hits but this year the grass was growing so good that was omitted and will probably wait til Sept. 1 now and shoot more for a 21-0-21 W/ 2% Fe that is 75% Rxn.

Hitting out of bent that is cut at 4" takes skill and a real golf shot. Certainly not a chip.

I'd be curious of your opinion on a thread I created this morning on turf maintenance.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/land-ownership-landscaping-lawn-care-gardening/189674-simple-lawn-maintenance.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts