Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to start the 4110 tonight and it was very close to not starting. I was out in the barn long enough to draw a crowd:lol:. So, I think the combination of an old battery (still original) and 8 degree weather was the issue. My 2 buddies think its the glow plugs. So we have a bet.

Other than pulling them out, how can I prove electronically that they work.

Thanks! :good2:

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Testing can be done in the engine...but you have to remove the wire from the GP-it's a threaded stub with a small (maybe 8mm) nut on it. Once the wire is removed, take your Ohm meter and place one lead on a good ground, and the other lead on the threaded stud (make sure you have a good contact-they are painted), the meter should read near zero resistance, or almost a dead short (like if you touched the two leads together) if the GP is good. No reading indicates a open GP.

Remember that the GP's only fire while the starter is cranking-there is no pre-heat circuit, so a weak battery will not get it started easily when it's cold out. My method is to pull the PTO switch up or place in gear for 8-10 seconds to allow the GP's to pre-heat the cylinders before actually cranking the engine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Remember that the GP's only fire while the starter is cranking-there is no pre-heat circuit, so a weak battery will not get it started easily when it's cold out. My method is to pull the PTO switch up or place in gear for 8-10 seconds to allow the GP's to pre-heat the cylinder before actually cranking the engine.
Really? That seems like an odd setup... I'm no electrical guru, but wouldnt it be slick to use the key switch from a 3x series so you could wire the gp's on its own circuit for cold starting....

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave, believe it or not, thats how the 4110 is. Its in the manual.

Thanks Kenny. I have to think its the battery, but we will run the test and I hope to win the bet.:munch:

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Really? That seems like an odd setup... I'm no electrical guru, but wouldnt it be slick to use the key switch from a 3x series so you could wire the gp's on its own circuit for cold starting....
Yup, that is the way they work...same on the 2305, 2320 and some of the early 2520's. I guess it was cheaper that way:thumbsdown: The 3x series switch would be nice-but probably not worth the effort. This system is quite workable once you understand how it works.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Dave, believe it or not, thats how the 4110 is. Its in the manual.

Thanks Kenny. I have to think its the battery, but we will run the test and I hope to win the bet.:munch:
I believe you guys 100%...I just think its an odd setup, machines prior and machines after had/have glow circuits....On a cold day like today I dunno how that would pan out for me here..LOL.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
On a cold day like today I dunno how that would pan out for me here..LOL.

That's why I wrote this tip:
My method is to pull the PTO switch up or place in gear for 8-10 seconds to allow the GP's to pre-heat the cylinder before actually cranking the engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yup, that is the way they work...same on the 2305, 2320 and some of the early 2520's. I guess it was cheaper that way:thumbsdown: The 3x series switch would be nice-but probably not worth the effort. This system is quite workable once you understand how it works.
I do not believe the 2520 ever had glow plugs, just like their predecessors the 4115, always been direct injection....

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just as a follow up.

Testing went perfect. GP's are good:thumbup1gif:

Battery, not so good:morning2:

I won the bet, but have to pay for a battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts